My wife and I booked this holiday fairly last minute using teletext.com. We checked the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking and can honestly say we were not disappointed. After booking I tracked down the hotel email address in order to ask a couple of questions. The replies were always prompt and set the tone from the start.
Due to our flight timings we arrived at the hotel at around 3:30am via our pre-booked coach transfer. As the hotel is only 12km from the airport it just so happened that we were the first dropped off. We were met at the front of the sister hotel Goves Sea by the night receptionist in a golf style buggy and transported along with our luggage the 75m up to the Gouves Mare. No fuss during check in and shown staright to our room.
The Gouves Mare is around 2 years old, lovely and modern as most of the photos indicate. The Gouves Sea is a few years older but just a s nice as far as I can tell. Both are family owned (as is the case with most hotels in this part of Crete) so not too large and fairly informal. Only about 50 rooms in total. That said there is no skimping on quality of service or friendliness by the staff. Marianna and Christel run the front desk and do so very well. We actually asked to change rooms for one that just had a shower as opposed to a bath with shower over. We were given the choice of a couple of rooms. A few other couples have also moved rooms in the week we have been here. Not for any adverse reason. Just for showers only or perhaps a sea view if available. The hotel is full but guests change over at various times throughout the week so room changes are always a possibility if required. Up until last year the hotel was primarily linked with French tourists but UK tour operators have now been invited. The majority of guests this last week have been British.
The hotel is classed as 4* using the Crete classification system. I wouldn't disagree with giving it that rating. The overall experience has been wonderful. As my wife is 6 months pregnant we only wanted a quiet getaway. If you want hustle and bustle then go to Malia. If you want a great, modern, clean hotel then this is the place. Effectively right on the sea front you can chosse to either laze by either swimming pool or onto the beach as you require. By middle of the day most people we were pretty much the only ones by our pool as the other guests were sightseeing or otherwise. We were on half board. Breakfast was a mixture of continental buffet and hot. Evening meal was varied and catered for vegetarians. There is also a snack bar at the front of the Gouves Sea which sells all sorts from salads to burgers. Happy hour in the hotel was from 6-8pm when cocktails were virtually half price at 3.50 euros. Happy hour now exists from 6pm until the bar closes. Mostly because I think the Brits were the only ones using the bar.
Although locally there isn't a great deal to do there are plenty of trips available and car hire places so that the sights and sounds of the rest of Crete can be explored.
The hotel offers free internet, located in the hotel lobby.
Overall I would highly recommend the Gouves Hotels and would come back again in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Crete and Hotel Gouves Sea ****... Our well-situated, comfortable and family hotel, in front of the Aegean Sea, will be the first great souvenir of your trip and an excellent place to go to visit all the most important cities of Crete : 18km from the airport, 22km from Héraklion, 30km from archeological site of Knossos, 45km from Agios Nikolaos, 85km from Ierapetra, 98km from Rethymno, 115km from Sitia, 158km from Chania. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Bookgreece.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, HostelWorld, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Gouves Sea and Mare Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel And Suites Gouves Mare
- Hotel Gouves Mare
- Mare Hotel Gouves
- Gouves Sea And Mare Hotel & Suites Kato Gouves, Crete