All reviewsan art gallerythe ownerthe perfect hosthuge roomunique experiencecarried our bagsperfect locationstunning viewsvalley
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I stayed here with my partner and we had an amazing time. The room was like a studio flat and was very clean and nicely decorated. Giordano was exceptionally pleasant showing us through the art gallery and into the attic with the amazing views of Barga. The accommodation is situated right in the centre of the old town with a great vibe about the place. We would defiantly come back and stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah19090
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Arriving in Barga by bus from Lucca gave us the distinct impression that we had traveled infinitely further than just an hour's bus ride. Senior-citizens that we are, we were back in time nearly 300 years. We walked to Casa Cordati and our genial host, Giordano, greeted us when we rapped on the huge wooden door to the Museum, a 14C building. We asked if we could just leave our bags, since we were quite early for our check-in time, and he led us up, up, up to the 3rd floor... into a barren attic with two hammocks hanging from the rafters.

My friend Louise (we of the famous Thelma-and-Louise duo, so dubbed by our friends who often accuse us of outlandish adventures)--looked shocked when she saw the hammocks, but I said, "Well, I Did ask for two beds!" I knew, of course, that I had reserved an apartment, and we made our way thru the attic to a door on the far side, which opened up to our "real" accommodations.

We only stayed 2 days/1 night, but Barga was a gem. Casa Cordati was the perfect location, Giordano a great host; we even met his 90-yr old mother who lived in an apt below us.

The museum contains the works of Giordano's grandfather, which we explored as well. Anyone looking for a hidden gem in Italy should include Barga, and Casa Cordati a destination for memorable accommodations. After all, how many can boast that they stayed in a Museum? !

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank bizarro
Reviewed September 22, 2010

This is the 5th time I stayed in Casa Cordati. So far I have kept this gem to myself, but feel it is time to share with other travellers since it deserves more people to see and feel the magic of Barga and Casa Cordati. This museum with apartments and rooms is in the very centre of a hill town, just high enough to get a breeze in summer and avoid mozzies.
The view of the nearby duomo at sunset is unforgettable as it offers a 360 degree view over the mountains and you just stroll down for a good meal in one of the many restaurants..
Walking and the surrounding hills and villages offer the best and safest I have seen
anywhere in Italy. I still discover new places even after weeks of discovering the area.
Reserve plenty of time for your visit here. I stayed 10 days at the time after booking only
three. All rooms have a fridge and coffee machine, fab views, heating and are very quiet
due to the thick walls of this old palazzo. There is a garden with table and chairs to enjoy a book from the library and Giordano, who speaks very good english, will help you with any request. I travel alone and felt very safe in this place and would advice this to all my friends.

S

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We recently stayed here for a single night prior to attending a scientific conference nearby. The room we stayed in was charming with a lovely view of Barga. The bathroom had been recently remodeled and was very nice. This is a wonderful place to stay for the cost and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2009

My only complaint about my stay at Casa Cordati is that I didn't allow myself enough time there. Already I am planning a future visit when I can stay longer. I had the "Big Room" which more than lived up to it's name. It seemed very grand for me traveling alone. It contains two twin beds and one double, a dining table with chairs, bookcase full of books, sofa, lamps, decorative fireplace, views to die for and a private, modern bathroom. I wouldn't describe it as luxurious, but simple, lovely, charming, spacious, comfortable, immaculately clean, inspiring for the artistically minded, and completely magical are words I would definitely use.
I loved taking my time to study the paintings of Bruno Cordati displayed in the rooms reserved for the museum, and curated by his grandson, Giordano Martinelli. There is an upper room called the Altana where I was able to do some live sketching of the spectacular views of Barga.
Giordano, who single handedly runs all aspects of Casa Cordati is a knowledgeable, and gracious host who is sure to make your stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo