Stayed at the Forest Hills at the end of October 2012, for a couple of nights after our wedding. booked a four poster bed room with a view. The Hotel is in a fantastic setting and the countryside was in its Autumn colours, stunning! When we arrived we wondered into reception,it had a plush feel to it, wooden panels, big comfy arm chairs, open fires etc. this is a similar standard to the sitting and dinning rooms we entered during our stay.
We were shown to our room located on the wing directly behind the reception, once through the door off reception the place had a very different feel, worn and outdated decor, gloomy lighting and it has seen its best days a long time ago. I did start to worry about the standard of our room.
The room was big and comfortable, clean, a little dated perhaps, but not in the same league as the corridors and stair wells we walked up to get to it. I was a little disappointed that we had not been informed about scaffolding on the building, we still had the stunning view but there was half a dozen scaffold poles sticking up which did take the edge off it a bit.
At the price we paid, indeed even for considerably less, I would expect free wifi access as standard, not so at the Forrest Hills. No mobile reception is available in the area so I couldn't get away with 3G, not that this is the Hotels fault.
The gym and spa facilities are good, fresh and clean, with snooker and ping pong tables also available. There are lovely grounds with duck ponds,streams, lawns etc. There was obviously considerable external works programmed, looked like cladding, roof titles and windows are being replaced on the central portion of the Hotel. There was no one working while we were there so thankfully no noise issues.
I did have to drive around in circles a few times trying to get a car parking place during busy times.
Friends had booked us in and paid for meal in the Lomond suite as a Wedding gift, it was very enjoyable, fantastic service, I think they charge about £35 a head for 3 courses. My wife asked for a cup of green tea after dinner, they charged me £4 for that, which seemed a little steep after a £35 a head meal.
Mcdonalds did phone me prior to our stay to offer a meal discount if we pre booked, I think it was £25 for the 3 courses, but I didn't take them up on the offer. But this probably a fair deal for the main restaurant.
There is plenty to do in the surrounding area for the outdoor enthusiast, mountain biking, walking, go ape adventure and I think you can book clay pigeon shooting.
We enjoyed our stayed but I think the Hotel needs to get a team of decorators to set about some sections of the Hotel to bring it up to a standard more in keeping with the prices they charge. I would also expect a slightly higher level of attention to detail in the rooms - wobbly taps, missing drawer handles, lose curtains, but it was otherwise a clean and comfortable stay. I hope they up there game when renovation works are complete.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within the breath-taking scenery of The Trossachs, Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa provides a luxurious getaway right on your doorstep. Our hotel in Aberfoyle is located just 20 minutes from Stirling, 40 minutes from Glasgow and less than an hour from Edinburgh, offering the perfect retreat from city life. Indulge in award-winning dining in the Garden Restaurant, or enjoy a delicious afternoon tea on the terrace while watching over Lake Ard. Our sumptuous spa is just the thing if you need to relax, with a fabulous selection of Elemis treatments on offer or, for the more adventurous, why not take to the surrounding hills or venture out on to the lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel And Resort
- Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel Aberfoyle
- Macdonald Forest Hills Aberfoyle
- Forest Hills Hotel