“Great potential...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinlochard
Glasgow
“Great potential...”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed at the Forest Hills at the end of October 2012, for a couple of nights after our wedding. booked a four poster bed room with a view. The Hotel is in a fantastic setting and the countryside was in its Autumn colours, stunning! When we arrived we wondered into reception,it had a plush feel to it, wooden panels, big comfy arm chairs, open fires etc. this is a similar standard to the sitting and dinning rooms we entered during our stay.

We were shown to our room located on the wing directly behind the reception, once through the door off reception the place had a very different feel, worn and outdated decor, gloomy lighting and it has seen its best days a long time ago. I did start to worry about the standard of our room.

The room was big and comfortable, clean, a little dated perhaps, but not in the same league as the corridors and stair wells we walked up to get to it. I was a little disappointed that we had not been informed about scaffolding on the building, we still had the stunning view but there was half a dozen scaffold poles sticking up which did take the edge off it a bit.

At the price we paid, indeed even for considerably less, I would expect free wifi access as standard, not so at the Forrest Hills. No mobile reception is available in the area so I couldn't get away with 3G, not that this is the Hotels fault.

The gym and spa facilities are good, fresh and clean, with snooker and ping pong tables also available. There are lovely grounds with duck ponds,streams, lawns etc. There was obviously considerable external works programmed, looked like cladding, roof titles and windows are being replaced on the central portion of the Hotel. There was no one working while we were there so thankfully no noise issues.

I did have to drive around in circles a few times trying to get a car parking place during busy times.

Friends had booked us in and paid for meal in the Lomond suite as a Wedding gift, it was very enjoyable, fantastic service, I think they charge about £35 a head for 3 courses. My wife asked for a cup of green tea after dinner, they charged me £4 for that, which seemed a little steep after a £35 a head meal.
Mcdonalds did phone me prior to our stay to offer a meal discount if we pre booked, I think it was £25 for the 3 courses, but I didn't take them up on the offer. But this probably a fair deal for the main restaurant.

There is plenty to do in the surrounding area for the outdoor enthusiast, mountain biking, walking, go ape adventure and I think you can book clay pigeon shooting.

We enjoyed our stayed but I think the Hotel needs to get a team of decorators to set about some sections of the Hotel to bring it up to a standard more in keeping with the prices they charge. I would also expect a slightly higher level of attention to detail in the rooms - wobbly taps, missing drawer handles, lose curtains, but it was otherwise a clean and comfortable stay. I hope they up there game when renovation works are complete.

2 Thank Baahumbug26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
kincardine by alloa
Reviewed October 28, 2012

been a owner for years ,and watched this lovely complex go down hill .Started off making me feel I had hit the jackpot now I am stuck with something a holiday camp would not get away with ,the matteress are stained and the french bed is a joke ,my dog has a thicker layer to lye on ,they up graded ?? the swimimg pool and hot water tub if you have any trouble with your legs you have no chance getting in or out

Room Tip: ben lomond views lovely but you have to have muscles to heave your luggage up to, porters are very t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank tulliallan
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is situated in the most perfect of location overlooking Loch Ard it has beautiful grounds and even more breathtaking views if you go out and about for a walk in Queen Elizabeth Forrest. The hotel is a little tired our room was spotlessly clean with fanastic views of the loch but the carpet and curtains were definately in need of a refurb we paid extra for a executive king room in the appartently newly refurbished part of the hotel but the only part of the room that had been refurbed in the last few years was the bathroom! Also paid a dinner bed and breakfast rate which includes £25 a head (please note this rate does not include any drinks just food), we ate in the rafters bar & bistro food was nice enough but a bit of like eating in a cafe attached to the leisure facilities. If your looking for a great lunch or coffee & cake just pop out of the hotel and take a right and visit the Wee Blether Tearooms an utter gem hidden away and well worth a visit.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I went to this hotel for one of their Spa Sleepovers.

The Spa was fantastic and I'd highly recommend a visit as the staff were extremely friendly and the treatments were excellent. The leisure facilities were also excellent.

The hotel however was disappointing. I found the service at afternoon tea quite terrible as the waitress had a really bad attitude and was very unwelcoming. Service at dinner was much better and the food was enjoyable. The room was perfectly adequate but nothing special - a little dusty and some of the facilities were not working, e.g. telephone, bathroom lock, and the towels looked as though they had been in use for years. At breakfast, a long queue had formed for tables - as though the hotel had taken in more guests than it could manage.

Overall - well worth a day visit to the spa but probably wouldn't want to stay in the hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MLL27
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Fantastic Day Spa and beauty therapists, so relaxing, great pool, sauna and steam room and jacuzzi, staff so friendly and eager to help, they do fantastic lunches and cream teas surrounding views breathtaking the hotel overlooks Loch Ard any time of the year is beautiful lovely walks around the grounds and local area definately a hotel to visit time and time again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dalkeith
Reviewed October 16, 2012

A lovely hotel overlooking Loch Ard in the middle of the Perthshire Hills, what else would anyone want, even in a Scottish October. The situation of the hotel is so well placed that you could do anything you liked. Swimming Pool, gym, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi and beautiful grounds. I came out of the spa facility feeling amazingly at ease with myself and immediately came to the conclusion that when ( not if) we came back, this was something not to be missed. Across the road you can get your hands on any kind of outdoor activity from archery to quad biking, from canoeing to orienteering and the hills around the hotel - just what the doctor ordered after a week in the office - fresh air in abundance.

Room Tip: Expect the unexpected!
1 Thank romandalkeith
Alice Springs
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed with my Wife and Son for two nights at this hotel. The room was very comfortable -bed and bathroom facilities were great and the room was quite large.
We ate both nights in the hotel but the first was in the bistro and the second in the restaurant. The bistro was terrible - the service was probably up there with the worst I've ever experienced. The food was pretty ordinary also.
I was dreading the second night in the restaurant but I soon found out that this was to be a totally different experience. Five adults and 3 children dined together and the service and meals were absoulutely fantastic.
The hotel is set in a beautiful location and the facilities were good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinlochard
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!