“Too many villas, too small island”
Review of Constance Halaveli

Constance Halaveli
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halaveli Island
Moscow, Russia
“Too many villas, too small island”
Reviewed February 3, 2011

First I would like to share with you some information about seasons and weather in this part of the world. Hope it will be useful, as I was searching in internet before my trip, but the information I saw was not precise or full.

Well, according to locals the best time to come to Maldives is from January to March. And the main problem during the rest of the year is not the rain, as you might thought (the rain can also happen in January-March, by the way). The main problem is a wind. Strong south-west monsoon. The north-east monsoon during January-March is supposed to be not that strong and brings more sun. Plus, the underwater visibility becomes better and mantas (and maybe other interesting sea creatures) come close to the shore and your chances to see them are much higher. Please note also that December is a changing season, and not a high season as advertised, which means that wind may be very strong and irritating, making the most of water activities impossible. June and July are also bad months in this respect.

So, the idea is that, depending on season, you just have to be very careful choosing the island. It should be BIG enough and have a swimming area (as well as accommodation options) not exposed to the SW monsoon during April-December and to the NE monsoon during January-March. Normally hotels have maps on their internet sites, so it's quite easy to define which side is where. Of course, all above is applicable, if swimming in the ocean and snorkeling is why you come to Maldives. If you come just to spend your days on a sun-bed with a book near your villa or to sit in the plunge pool, then any season will be OK for you.

We split our stay between 2 islands – Island Hideaway (see the separate review) and Constance Halaveli .

We stayed in Constance (CH) in the beginning of December in Water Villa 72.

Getting there:

We arrived to Male with a domestic flight from Hanimaadhoo airport, as CH was our second island, after Island Hideaway. Our flight to CH with Air Taxi from Male was delayed because of weather conditions (torrential rain and wind), so we were waiting for the flight in Constance lounge in Male airport. In one word - not impressing after Island Hideaway departure lounge at Hanimaadhoo airport. Though the space is conveniently organized, it's not roomy considering the number of passengers. The choice of food/drinks is not comparable to those in Island Hideaway lounge. The flight itself is a pleasant journey that takes approx. 30Min.

Upon arrival we found out that our agency (Sodis) didn't send to the hotel a request for a specific room we'd chosen. Though they confirmed that they had done so, after we arrived to Constance we were told that no specific room was requested for us. We immediately contacted the agency and asked them to forward us the message they'd sent to the hotel, but it turned out that they hadn't sent any message with a request. Bad work, Sodis.

So the villa we hoped we would stay in was not assigned for us. We spent a lot of time at the reception, had long negotiations with a manager responsible for rooms distribution, and, after all, he was so kind to give us a room we originally wanted. Though starting from the following day (it was occupied the day we arrived). Thank you again, Andras.

Island:

We arrived from Island Hideaway, and I think that this was a unique island and maybe the only one of that kind in Maldives.

After Island Hideaway, Constance felt like a big european overdeveloped and overcrowded resort with lots of people and plenty of villas where you can't feel the nature, not speaking of solitude. There are only 43 villas on Island Hideaway, and the island is about 1,5km long and 400m wide. Constance has 90 villas and the island is so tiny that you can go around it (slowly) in 10 min.
Plus, the island is surrounded by seawalls that never make the picture more attractive. The Presidential villa was still under construction at the time of our visit which means pipes in water, sandbags ... don't include this part of the island in your romantic sunset walk, and don't swim nearby – the water is muddy.

There are 30 villas on the island, and the remaining 60 are located on a 850 meters pontoon (the longest in Maldives by now).

Because of the small size of the island there are not many places where you can escape the wind. And in any case pontoon is not one of them. The wind was so strong that it was hard and sometimes even impossible to walk on pontoon to the villa, especially at night. And if it starts raining, when you are in the middle of your way, it's better to stop near the closest villa and wait until a buggy passes you by, or, if at night, just ask someone to call the buggy – pontoon has no railing, and the plank pontoon surface becomes slippery under the rain, so if the wind is strong you can easily misstep and fall into the ocean (it's shallow under the pontoon). And don't ever use an umbrella (you'll have it in your villa), if the wind is strong – you will be just blown away like Mary Poppins, and the umbrella will be broken.

You can always call a buggy, but if you like walking and don't like waiting (like us), then it's not a preferable option.

Weather was bad most of the time we were there. If it was not raining, still it was very windy. Sometimes at night I felt like our roof is going to get off.

A big (and maybe the only significant) PLUS of Constance Halaveli compared to Island Hideaway is that during the whole stay I saw NO INSECT anywhere. Not speaking of any rats. Only funny local chickens.

Swimming:

Swimming was challenging. I think we were the only ones who did this exercise, but we just decided not to let circumstances spoil the half of our vacation. Swimming in the ocean (not in the pool which I can practice at home) is one of the reasons you make all this long way to Maldives. Several days later I noticed Chinese group in orange life jackets (placed in every villa, they are meant to be used in case of emergency only) who were entering the lagoon. I think they were inspired by our example. No other enthusiasts. And this is understandable – the water looked like water in a boiling kettle, plus a current, so not a lot of pleasure. But it's an excellent exercise for a good swimmer in order not to get completely motionless – about a kilometer from villa 72 to the beach and back.

In terms of snorkeling, we saw several small sharks and once a manta passing by our villa. That is. But I think it's just because of the wrong season. In good calm weather I guess you can take a snorkeling excursion to the other side of the lagoon (actually, being a good swimmer and using flips I think it's possible to even swim over there) and see mantas and maybe something else.

I don't recommend you swimming around the island inside seawalls in windy weather – the bottom is close and it's full of broken corals and stones.

Accommodation:

Villa is really great. Layout, design, furniture, equipment, amenities, if only the deck could be bigger and better laid out. But it's my personal perception, and I've just seen so many of them.

Very clever air conditioning system – you don't have this ugly device above your head blowing onto your face. Everything is hidden, and you just have a constant air intake of the chosen temperature.

Housekeeping was superficial, but this is as usual.

We wanted to be on the end of one of the pontoon branches and on the lagoon side, so asked our agency to request for us villa 72 (which Sodis agency failed to do). So we spent the first day in another villa and moved to 72 the second day of our stay (thanks to Andras, the responsible manager). The funny thing is that villa 72 looked like it was more intensively “used” then our first villa 42: more mold in bathroom, stains on the sofa etc. I think it's really popular and is always occupied, so looks really older then it's neighbors.

It's up to you to decide whether you want to be on the end of pontoon or not. It's far from the island and in a windy weather you will be more exposed to the wind (and remember – no railing!). But it's more private and view is unobstructed.

There is also villa 90 on the very end of the pontoon – a more extreme option. Plus, they seemed to freeze a construction over there in the ocean and stilts prominent from the ocean look dismal. Maybe they wanted to make a pontoon even longer, but then decided to stop, as they were already the first in Maldives with their 850 meters. Or they just got afraid the island would sink, if people staying overwater decide to come to the island altogether.

I would recommend to request a villa on the lagoon side rather than on the ocean side during SW monsoon. Maybe ocean side would be better during NE monsoon, plus you'll have a better sunset view there.

Breakfast&Dinner:

As I'm comparing with Island Hideaway, and we are very specific with our food selection (mainly fruits for breakfast and vegetables+fish+wine for dinner), so here IH beats CH in terms of morning fruit selection, presentation and friendliness of a person responsible for fruits cutting and distributing.

I also would like to mention a very important detail regarding water quality that is being used in restaurants. They use tap water (that smells of chlorine) for making your tea and coffee which of course affects the taste. To compare, this was not a case in IH, where, I can suppose, they use another disinfection/cleaning system. We ended up bringing a big bottle of water provided in our villa with us to the restaurant and giving it to the waiter. We mentioned about it in a comments form provided by the hotel and hopefully they will improve here.

Chefs in main restaurant are really welcome and friendly. Every night we had a special request for fish, and everything was perfectly done. We recommend you to ask a waiter to invite a chef to your table and discuss your preferences with him directly. We were not disappointed.

I cannot share absolute admiration of other reviewers regarding sommelier service. First night I explained what kind of wine I wanted with my meal and accepted sommelier's recommendation without checking details on the bottle. Afterwards it appeared that it was not the kind of wine I requested. Moreover, I noticed that they offer the same wine for other couples (I noticed the same bottles on many tables). So I can assume that there is no personal touch in their approach, but pure adjustment of current wine stock. So every following night I just took a big book (I can't call it a wine list) where you can find the wines from every possible region of the world and chose something based on my taste and price expectations. The variety of wines and prices is really impressing. A big plus.

Service:

With exception of several clueless girls at the reception desk, all staff members are attentive, accommodating and helpful.

AirTaxi Service (Constance Halaveli – Male Airport):

They put guests leaving with different international flights in one air taxi, so some of them might arrive to Male airport 2 hours before their international flight, some – 5 hours before. That means, instead of sending 2 air taxis, maybe half empty, Constance cuts down expenses putting everybody in one and thus sacrificing guests' convenience (in our case it came to several hours of precious morning sleep). And though the whole team including Resort Manager goes out to wave you goodbye, this spoiled our overall impression.

By the way, there is a very comfortable air conditioned lounge for guests waiting for their departure, with shower, library, computers etc. A building near the reception.

---------------

Bottom-line:

The island is extremely small for that number of guests, snorkeling is limited, no house reef, and I can suppose that staying overwater you will be exposed to the wind any time of the year. Just because you are in the open ocean and there's no shelter.

On the other side, villas are new and comfortable; in-villa entertainment system, service, food in restaurants and massages in SPA are all of a good quality, wine list is comprehensive, no insects or other unpleasant creatures, and you have your own plunge pool. If all above is what you expect from your Maldives vacation, then this place is ideal for you.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank NadiaJuly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We stayed in this hotel with my wife during the top January season and in general enjoyed our experience. Even though I fully share some of the previous positive commentary let me add some of our opinion.
Hotel is well situated and guests are appropriately met directly in the airport and are placed in the hotel lounge. However when we came from our flight the lounge was full and we were initially placed in some close by room that was free from any service at all. We even thought it is the lounge first, but after some 20 minutes we were moved to the lounge.
Check in is smooth and basically done in the lounge even before your flight to island.
When you arrive you are followed to your villa. We stayed first in water and then in the beach villa. To my opinion there is noticeable difference among water villas and numbers 31 to 51 and then 53-61 are much better location than others (others are either too far away or are facing jetty area that is in addition to certain noise has been windy during the whole of our stay), for beach villas all duplex villas and villas 9-20 are much preferred for the same reasons.
There is a lot said about villas in the other reviews, can only add that so far they are very new and well kept, excellent facilities and enough of space.
Advantages of the island and hotel & services:
Basically quiet and relaxing, very clean villas, appropriate and delicate housekeeping service, kind, attentive and willing-to-do local staff, waiters etc. with excellent english (all operations from reception to restaurants without exception are supervised by expats-dont know is it good or bad, but just how it is). Compared to some other resorts also important that service is fast and tips are not expected (they are though in your service charge already). Truly excellent wine list and absolutely exceptional wine services headed by head sommelier Carlier Jerome. Also would like to point out excellent and efficient room service.
Also we value very much the SPA and treatments offered, and overall believe Halaveli has highly skilled therapists, though SPA overall lacking some "signature" features and facilities. One of the real value for money.
They also obviously have a very good Jing restaurant under supervision of their new and enthusiastic Australian resort chef.

On the negative side
Hotel is lacking some kind of elegance. This may not be that noticed if we paid less, but considering our rack rates you can easily demand more and receive more elsewhere in the world. Good wines are extremely pricey, and in general up to 5 times higher than in Europe. Full range of activities available is basically not well advertised. My special note is food in the main restaurant as well as quality of the breakfast and overall menu selection is much less than it could be at the island with not so many places to go. Also very small and mainly occupied fitness that is mainly fitted by two running pads and small Kinesis, no other equipment ! Very strange shop where you would have almost no local souvenirs but some expensive fake D&G sunglasses instead sold without boxes. Expat managers being locked in the island need to keep themselves a little, we once saw diving center managers in the guests bar with dozen of empty beer bottles, which i have nothing against if not done in public. Also a little strange not to have little extras like fruits baskets/flowers in the villas that are around or over $2 500/night.

For the service I strongly recommend to apply directly to enthusiast Resident Manager Ulrich Hoffgen who may arrange virtually for everything, all the other people would refer to him anyway.

However (and it is important to note) we notices that efforts are being made and most of our commentary were listened with attention ( and some of them, i hope also followed). I believe that resort has to make its final choice and either to go fully at excellent (or even exceptional) 4 star resort, revising a little the overall price policy or (my recommendation) to put more efforts and attention to become truly luxuries boutique hotel. Or just don't go there during their rack period and wait for special options.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AS71
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Have just returned from the Constance Halaveli Resort and would like to post this review as an absolute recommendation to visit. I have been to several five-star islands in the Maldives, as well as many other tropical destinations, Fiji, Hawaii, Seychelles, Mauritius etc etc, and it is my opinion that this is actually the very best overall experience I have ever had. From the meet and greet at Male airport, to the assistance with our luggage back to check-in a week later, everything in between was just utter luxury and paradise. The staff are all, without exception, fantastic and clearly take a great pride in their positions from the senior management to the maintenance and grounds crews. The food in every restaurant was first class, and the rooms were simply stunning. We had an over water villa and everything about it was perfect. The beach around the island is soft clean white sand and the coral on the surrounding reef is colourful and teaming with fish. Every day we ended up at the beach bar after a walk around the island at around 4pm, where 'CJ' would mix us a drink, always with something interesting to say and a warm smile. The twenty-minute seaplane journey is fun and adds a little excitement to arrival and departure. We loved Halaveli and would not hesitate in returning.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Costa Blanca
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We just returned from 9 days at the Halaveli and the best way to sum it up is say that we had a fantastic time.

The hotel is somewhat larger than many of the places we choose to stay in but they manage to keep the atmosphere intimate and personal and not too "resorty". The location, as is common in the Maldives, is picture postcard perfect (how many photo's can you take of blue sea - I dont know but every day I felt urged to take more!).

The rooms are generously sized and luxurious, with plunge pools, on stilts over the stunning lagoon. The in-room facilities are excellent, especially the new Apple TV and entertainment system, which is the best I have seen at any hotel in the world. The rooms are beautifully lit too, which is a nice touch. The only single draw back is that there are a lot of these water villas, which stretch out 850m into the lagoon. Personally I think they have built 10 to 12 villas too many. It just looks a bit excessive to have so many villas and it makes the island much more obtrusive than many others and less natural in feel when viewed from a far. But I cant take away the fact that they are very well done indeed.

The restaurants are good. The fine dining Jing is incredibly located on stilts in the lagoon, with the water below lit up blue at night, attracting a wide array of marine life from rays to baby black tip reef sharks, from hunting blue fin jacks to schools of mullet and reef rish. It is one of the best located restaurants in the world! The bar at Jing is very nice too. The food is first class, contemporary fusion cuisine.

The buffet on the other hand is certainly good but not excellent. It seems a little chaotically set out - with chinese food next to Italian, next to Indian and back to chinese again followed by Japanese and back to Indian etc. It would be much better to group things together. and maybe narrow down the number of dishes to give it more focus and structure. There is however a good choice of food, all well presented. The staff are all excellent. The biggest drawback for the buffet was the price. It is just too much to pay unless you are going to eat a full 4 course meal. I know it's the Maldives but still...

Jerome and Marcus the sommeliers were tremendous (along with the guys in Jing). They are genuinely excited about their wines and so were we. The wine list is very good and not so expensive considering. I enjoyed private tours of both wine sellers and took part in a wine tasting afternoon (actually it was more wine drinking and convivial conversation than wine tasting!). Jerome is a lovely, fun guy who really cares about what he does. You cant ask for more. The cellars and the sommeliers are a reason alone to choose the Halaveli.

As a side note, the New Years eve dinner on the beach was easily the best buffet I have ever seen in my life. It was much better organised than the normal indoor buffet and each culinary region was grouped together. From 2 types of fresh oysters to tandoor ovens built in the sand this night was something special....as was my head the following morning but thats a different story...

The dive operation was great on the whole. We were well looked after, all our kit cleaned and loaded and off loaded. There are towels, snacks, tea and coffee after the dives. The dive masters Tobias, CJ, Claudia and Alexis (the co-owner) were all charming and interesting. Any issues, problems, requests were dealt with immediately and with out any reticence and that was very classy. Although the visibility wasn't great at the time due to the plankton bloom, we saw several species of shark, manta rays, sting rays, eagle rays, turtles, morays, swarms of reef fish and schooling jacks, fusiliers and other fish. The Maldives, on the right day, are literally fish soup.

The Halaveli is well located near some of the most famous dives in the Maldives, which makes it rather special. The only downside, as with other facilities at the Halaveli, is the price. I totally understand that in a good 5 star resort in the Maldives you are going to pay a bit more, but everything at the Halaveli (including the diving but not the accommodation) is about 25% more than your most wildly inflated guesstimates of price. Be warned.

There are two killer winning points in the Halaveli's favour:

Firstly, the Halaveli has a special secret. Every year Manta rays coming in huge quantities to possibly breed, but certainly give birth in the lagoon. You can see manta rays diving, manta rays from the sea plane, manta rays from the boat and most unreal and amazing of all is you can see manta rays outside your water villa. I've been around the world a few times, diving at most of the most amazing dive spots on earth but I have never even heard of a resort where you can snorkel with numerous feeding manta rays 30 meters from your plunge pool. These harmless, graceful and elegant giants are one of the stars of the under water world and people travel huge distances to look for a chance encounter with them whilst diving. The Halaveli can trump that. You can watch them from your room doing their graceful feeding dance and then hop in to the water and join them for a snorkel. I dont think the Halaveli know how incredible it is to have the manta coming from December to March each year to begin the manta circle of life. The hotel needs to project them with more care and make sure that the marine biologist community are aware of it. After that they can use it to attract divers and marine lovers from around the world. Sure, the manta's wont be outside your room every day but a small guided kayak trip or dhoni trip elsewhere in the lagoon would find them easily and manta snorkeling can almost be guaranteed (the resort currently doesnt off this).

The second killer point is the management. I didnt get to meet Dominic much but got to know Ulrich quite well. Ulrich is a "can do" person. He is always fixing things in the back ground to make sure everyones needs are not only met, but exceeded. He worries about the small details and gets them right. He is someone who makes the Halaveli stand out from the 5 star crowd. He makes a medium sized resort feel like a 10 room private island. We talked to many of the staff during our stay and unusually almost everyone was happy working there and all said that the management are thoughtful, caring and good. I cant agree more. All the staff were friendly, polite, thoughtful and helpful and that comes from the management.

All in all, the Halaveli is a great place and comes highly recommended. It exceeded my expectations and thats a rare thing. The only problem was the price did too!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank thewanderers_spain
Reviewed December 26, 2010

This year our timetable made it possible to visit this marvelous hotel.
The Constance Halaveli captivates not only by a beautiful location, very beautiful villas, good food, especially excellent vines and outstanding extensiveness but also by the friendly, cordial and sincere employees and their ability to make the service perfect and extremely personal.

Especially persons like the head sommelier Jeromé, his collegue Marcus, the food manager Rachuan, the very lovely porter Achmet and the room mate Diddi were the garantee, that our stay at Halaveli becomes special.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Beijing
Reviewed December 23, 2010

It is hard to choose the hotel. We don't want to go to a crowded island which may feel no difference as in Sanya, China or some islands in Thailand. It is lucky we finally choose Havaleli Hotel. We are deeply impressed by the friendliness, the quietness, the beautiful scene and the relaxation in the island. My little daughter completely lives herself in the pools in the beach villa and the water villa. The western food are good and the fried rice is even better than in China. We are glad to hear they listen to our feed backs and will provide more Asia food.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2010

My wife and I choose to go to the Maldives in September 2010, based on a review of Trip Advisor Maldivan hotels. We choose the Constance Halavei for our 1st week as well as another hotel highly ranked hotel for our 2nd week. We stayed in a water bungalow in Constance Halaveli during our first week and a beach villa the second week (after we returned after 1 day from the higher ranked hotel).

I have summarised the main aspects as much as I could below:

Water villa - spacious, modern, private plus private plunge pool, comfortable bed, atmospheric lighting, great in room entertainment system, free internet and movies online, plunge pool is a definite luxury, definitely 5 star and as the hotel was recently renovated this is definitely a defining characteristic

Beach villa: huge area, private plunge pool, modern designer interior, simply amazing

Restaurants and food: Buffet breakfast, great selection of food to choose from and great service as well, in villa dining was ok but not too much variety but later on we found out that you could order pretty much anything you wanted without relying too much on the menu, the two restaurants (non-buffet) restaurants were very good and dinner in the wine cellar was a fabulous experience on our last night. The selection of wines is good and the sommeliers take good care of you.

Staff: The staff and management are very friendly and make you feel at home, without being over attentive. I would like to say a special thank you to Andras who took great care of us and even when we returned to the Constance after spending only one night at another hotel (ranked higher than Constance, which was strange considering it's age) he took care of all the details for our return. We had several special evening events arranged by management during our stay, which made our stay even more special from our perspective, particularly considering it rained for 6 out of 14 days.

Weather: the sun was incredibly intense so definitely make sure to pack some high factor sun cream/block

On the negative side:
This is not a great coral reef diving resort but there are good diving spots nearby that management can arrange for you to visit
Spa is good as anywhere else but not better than what you would normally expect at a 5 star resort
If you are in a water villa then it can be a long walk to breakfast and dinner along the walkway which is up to 1.5km in length, we didn't mind this and if felling lazy you can call for a buggy to pick you up if you like.

We honeymooned in Bora Bora at the Intercontinental Thalasso Spa, which was amazing as well but the service at the Constance was even better in our opinion, amazing hotel if you are looking for a romantic holiday in paradise.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Kuramathi

Been to Constance Halaveli? Share your experiences!