“Real Management seemed absent” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Huntington Beach, California, United States
“Real Management seemed absent”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

This "place" reminded me so much about the "Seinfeld" episode with the term "Soup Nazi" It appeared that no one on the staff behind counter really cared if we bought a sandwich, whether it was prepared or they would have to get off their dead butts to help someone. When I inquired about a sandwich that appeared to be mislabeled, I was almost admonished for pointing it out. At that moment I was about pi••ed off as the outside man on a submarine. Luckily my better half told me to "just get something to eat and let them sit in their own stew". I ordered something that looked like it may have been edible, got a bottle of water, paid for it, ate it and promptly left. I must state that this restaurant having the name of probably one of the greatest, bravest men in the world needs to have its management really consider itself far less than the image of one of New Zealand's world famous heroes. To call itself a restaurant is actually elevating itself slightly above an old Dempsey Dumpster, a really old one. I would recommend going to ANY other place to eat than this one. The service was nonexistent, the staff was totally useless. They were lucky I paid with a credit card. I know I would have thrown them if if I paid the bill about $2.56 higher. They probably would have called in someone from the outside to figure out the change, that's how incompetent they appeared. Avoid this place like the veritable plague, unless management figures out what is really wrong and hires a new staff, from top to bottom.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank 943RickR

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

6 cheese rolls, easy ah. Not they arrived cold and not even cooked. When we took them back the girl was miffed and couldn't believe we had a issue with them. It was very clear she was not interested in customer service. It was not very inviting and had tables with left over food on them. I would expect as it was 3pm ish and with not many tourists around that they would be hungry for our business. God knows what people from other countries must think.
Very disappointed in what should be a memorable place for anyone coming to stay. If you come to mt cook do not eat at this place, over priced, rubbish food and terrible service.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank 4halls2014
Wellsford, New Zealand
“Underwhelming service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

We had lunch here over the weekend. When we walked in there was a staff member working in the kitchen area. She paid us absolutely no attention as we decided what to eat from a relatively limited selection of food. On selecting our choice we waited to be acknowledged and finally received some very off-hand service. I would hope this is not what tourists to our country experience. The food was, however, very reasonably priced considering we were in a tourist place.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Lesley P
Canberra, Australia
“Nice lunch with a beautiful view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

My partner and I recently had lunch here after doing the glacier explorer tour. I had a pie and my partner had the lamb shanks, both meals were lovely but I did regret not getting the lamb shanks myself. We had a nice coffee and meal whilst sitting on the balcony enjoying the glorious day. The view on the balcony on a beautiful day were so picturesque.

• Visited April 2014