“Monday lunch”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Whakatane, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
“Monday lunch”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our small group arrived and were seated immediately, drinks menu promptly provided and orders taken. Lovely waitress was very nice to my IHC aunty when it came to ordering her meal. She had a hotdog and nuggets I had scallops in champange sauce, my son had the thai curry..... Mum had the calamari dish off the blackboard. Our meals came in a reasonable time and all were very fresh and colourfully presented. No complaints regarding the food.... Nice atmosphere,with lots of ladies lunching..The waitress was very attentive and it was very reasonally priced.... I would return again very happily.

• Visited October 2013

Sydney, Australia
“reasonable”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My son and I had the Sri Lankan curries here for dinner and they were fine. I agree that the menu is a bit unusual, with a wide variety. I decided that it would be safest to go for the specials or the curries. There was only one person doing waiting duties, and I imagine if there had been too many customers it would have been a challenge for her. But she was very friendly and helpful. Not haute cuisine, but not deserving of the single stars it has received recently, from my experience at least.

• Visited September 2013
Whakatane, New Zealand
“Not Good”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My son and I went for Saturday lunch, it was so disappointing to say the least, my butter chicken tasted like it had come out of a tin. My son had a lamb dish, it was not edible, it tasted like the chef had slipped when putting the spices in. The lovely waitress took the lamb meal back to the chef, she came back saying there would be no charge. Not good, we will never go back.

• Visited July 2013
Australia
“The sign outside said open 12-2”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We liked the sound of the menu so in we went and despite the time reading 1.45pm we were told rather sharply that the kitchen was closing and if we wanted to come back for dinner that the restaurant would re open at 6pm. We did not go back for dinner!

• Visited June 2013
“Neither fish nor fowl”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

With the strangest menu selections I've ever seen in one place, Babinka doesn't seem to be able to decide what to specialise in; local seafood (my kingfish was okay and my scallops were delicious), sri lankan (my partner had a curry and it bore a passing resemblance to the ones he's had in Sri Lanka, but the squid was not), or pizza, or pasta......

There were only a few folk eating, the service was quick, and we had eaten 2 courses and were out again within just over an hour of sitting down.

• Visited January 2013