“Well worth the trip”
Review of White Island Tours

White Island Tours
Ranked #1 of 14 Tours in Whakatane
More attraction details
Owner description: Join the White Island Tours crew aboard the luxury cruiser 'PeeJay' for a 6 hour adventure to explore New Zealand's only active marine volcano - White Island. Sitting 49km off the coast of New Zealand's North Island, this is one of the world's most accessible live volcanos. With the majority of the volcano sitting beneath the sea it means we are able to disembark directly into the crater complex - no mountain climbing required. Being a live volcano there is little doubt that White Island is home to New Zealand's most impressive geothermal activity. Visitors are able to get up close to roaring steam vents, bubbling pits of mud, hot volcanic streams and the amazing lake of steaming acid. The vivid hues of yellow and orange resulting from the abundant sulphur on the island make it a photographer's dream. Experienced guides will lead visitors on a two hour exploration of the inner crater, providing a fascinating commentary on the geology of the island as well as stories of attempts to mine sulphur. Along with volcanic and geothermal features, you will see the remains of the sulphur factory which have survived multiple eruptions since being abandoned in the 1930s. Once back aboard PeeJay there may be time for a swim from the boat before being served a light packed lunch which can be enjoyed while viewing the outer walls of the island where Pohutukawa forests grow and large Australasian Gannet colonies exist. Our journey home often provides the opportunity to spend time viewing dolphins, whales and other marine life. We hold the necessary government permits to interact with these animals and it's a great way to end an already amazing day. Tours depart daily (weather permitting) from Whakatane.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Thankfully the weather permitted a trip and the day got more and more glorious as we bounced through the bar, over the waves and out to White Island. It was an incredible privilege to walk around the island, a mere mortal amongst volcanic activity. The mud shows, steam vent and colours were fantastic. It was great to see flying fish and dolphins on the way back - capped off a marvellous trip. The PeeJay Tours staff deserve special mention too. Right from the time of the first enquiry to telephone calls about whether the trip could go, throughout the day to the end of the trip the staff were attentive, professional and knowledgable - and a great advertisement for Whakatane and NZ. The cafe in Whakatane was full of tasty food options and the lunch on board was very filling and tasty. The whole day was well worth the cost.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Don't be put off by the amateur website - this turned out to be a surprisingly professional outfit, and it seems that PeeJays are the only company that does boat trips to White Island, so the island itself is blissfully free of other sightseers (apart from the two helicopters which landed, disgorging a small handful of people!).

The boat (PeeJay V) is large and comfortable, though on the trip we took, most people sat outside at the back of the boat as this was where you got fresh air (and a lot of spray) - the seas were very rough and my partner and I I have dubbed the boat over "The Vomit Comet".

The staff were very helpful and solicitous (and sharp with the sick bags). Our guide was efficient and knowledgeable, and the whole experience was tremendous.

You even get a decent packed lunch on the way back - the crossing back was a lot smoother than on the way out and I think everyone was pretty hungry by then!

We did a lot in our 3 weeks in New Zealand, including 2 tandem skydives, and this ranks top of the value for money activities that we did. A brilliant day out and extremely professional.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had a great trip -- something we really wanted to do on our vacation. We made our reservation for early in our week and were glad we did as we needed to reschedule twice -- once because of weather and once because of our own changes. They were great both times, helping us find a new booking Third time was the charm and we had a great day! I'm a bit nervous about seasickness so I took some meds first. Don't know if I really needed them, as it was pretty calm seas, but there was ar least one person using the supplied bags. While others have said their kids liked the visit, we left our youngest at home -- I'm pretty sure the odour or masks would have freaked her out. We saw some young kids do well and some others that needed to go back to the ship early, so I think we made the right call.

Saws dolphins on the way out. Made sure we got into the first group leaving the boat, so we'd have more time to swim afterwards.

Definitely one of the top highlights of our vacation!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our trip to White Island with White Island Tours was awesome. The staff were very friendly and had a lot of local knowledge. Not only were we treated to some awesome activity in the main crater we were lucky to see flying fish, blue mao mao and dozens of dolphins on the way back. I took my 7 year old boy with me and he loved the experience...he can't wait to go tell all of his friends about it when he gets back to school. Thank you to everyone at White Island Tours...a truly magical experience from start to finish.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was so awesome to get that close up to the volcano. I was very grateful for the gas mask as I found it too much to breathe. There was enough time for everyone to get pictures and ask any questions. The lunch on the boat afterwards was quite good. I would only say to bring a snack for the morning in case you get hungry as there is no food to be purchased on board. There were lots of dolphins on the way there and I loved that they stopped the boat to let us watch them. Highly recommend and would even do it again.