“Everything and more and more and more”
Review of Buffalo Lodge

Buffalo Lodge
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Evelyne is a wonderful host and she was instrumental to my lovely time in Coromandel and indeed, much of my time in New Zealand. Her home is beautifully designed to ensure the best views and light, and it is one of the very best architected homes in the area.
As a solo traveler with jet-lag, Evelyn took me under her wing and made sure I was happy and well-provided for. She is very knowledgeable about the Coromandel area, but as importantly, knows both the north and south islands quite well having tramped them both many times. Her guidance was a bonus as I was still planning my itinerary and I cannot thank her enough. Her wisdom proved most helpful during the following 5 remaining weeks of my trip. If you appreciate beautiful homes, lively conversation with a knowledgeable and gracious host and a backdrop of gorgeous views, you should look no further- Buffalo Lodge is the place.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed March 12, 2009

This was a wonderful lodge and an equally wonderful hostess, one of our favorite places during our tour of North and South Islands. The approach road to the Lodge is not for the faint hearted with steep gradient and hairpin bends, but it is worth it. We were the only ones staying and Evelyne put us in the Deluxe Double in stead of the booked standard room at no extra charge. An isolated location in the middle of the bush with magnificent views out over the peninsular, but only 10 minutes from Coromandel and well located for other attractions of the Peninsular. Breakfasts are a delight with lots of home made produce, fresh eggs from Evelyn's two free range hens and home roasted coffee. The dinner prepared by Evelyn on our second night was superb. The Lodge itself is well designed and built with local timbers and takes full advantage of the location with big windows. Inside the walls are hung with a wide selection of pictures painted by Evelyn and her late husband. Our only regret, we were not staying longer!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2009

We stayed at Buffalo Lodge for 2 nights on our visit to Coromandel and were very sorry to leave.
Buffalo Lodge is in a wonderful location situated away from Coromandel with panoramic views over the peninsula. Our hostess Evelyne couldn't have been more helpful and it was so enjoyable spending time with her when we returned at the end of the day having explored the area.

We will always remember the evening when we sat with a bottle of wine on our balcony watching the sun go down over the horizon. It was one of the highlights of our holiday in New Zealand and we can fully understand why people return to Buffalo Lodge.

Evelyne is a very talented artist and it was a privilege to see her work (and her late husbands) on the walls of her home.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Buffalo Lodge is a extremely special Lodge tucked in the hills above Coromandel Township. I have just had yet another return visit and reluctantly leave today. The views from the balcony in front of my room are stunning, always changing with the different light. Last night there was another exceptional sunset to be enjoyed.

Buffalo Lodges host Evelyne has always made me feel so very welcome. Breakfasts are always special with the most divine home roasted coffee, home made jams and home made muesli. Any meal Evelyne cooks whether breakfast lunch or dinner is always delicious, made with fresh seasonal local produce. Evelyne also has two much loved chickens called Meggie and Penny who produce free range eggs for breakfast.

Being a lover of art I love to see new art Evelyn creates when she has time in the winter months. I have a small collection of Evelyn's art and it is slowly growing bigger.

I keep returning to Buffalo Lodge with friends and family and sometimes on own and can highly recommend Buffalo Lodge as my favorite place to stay. We all love Evelyne's coffee and I never return home empty handed.

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed January 12, 2009

My family and I spent two glorious nights at Buffalo Lodge. Having arrived in NZ only a couple of days earlier from the UK the peace and tranquility of the lodge was just what we needed. Evelyn was amazing. She is so friendly and nothing is any trouble to her. Our room was spotless and felt so private, overlooking Evelyn's garden.
Our meals were delicious and we were lucky enough to sample Evelyn's wonderful home-made Chinese Ravioli. Breakfasts were fresh and delicious, with free range, organic eggs from her resident chickens, Maggie and Penny.
I would urge anyone planning a trip to Coromandel to book their stay now! I can't recommend it highly enough.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed November 24, 2008

We stayed with Evelyne at the lodge for 2 nights and had a most wonderful time. The lodge is situated just outside of the town Cormandel, in the middle of the forrest. So the only sounds you hear are the wind through the trees and the birds. Fantastic!!
The first night we stayed in a standard double room, and the second night we moved to the cottage room, which was larger and had a beautiful bathroom (this room was occupied the first night). Both rooms had their own deck with smashing views.
In short, the lodge, its location and Evelyne's company were the best. When we go back to the Coromandel, we will definitely return to Buffalo Lodge.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 19, 2008

We stayed in the cottage room at Buffalo Lodge for 4 nights and were very sorry to leave. Evelyn (the owner of the lodge) makes everyone feel like they are very special guests in her home. We felt at home as soon as we arrived and were thrilled we had chosen to spend more than a day or 2.

The location is great (we were very happy to be on the Western side of the penninsular) and has lovely views over the hills to the water. We also loved being close to the town of Coromandel.

The accomodation is very clean, comfortable and has lots of great art work to look at.

This is a place where you can rest and enjoy the tranquility of the lodge or get out and explore.

The drive from Thames is also a highlight. The road hugs the edge of the bay and offers beautiful views. The light on the water gives the area a very special feel.

We plan to return!

Barbara & John

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)