“Best meal in the North Island”
Review of Success Cafe

Success Cafe
Ranked #10 of 26 Restaurants in Coromandel
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Gloucestershire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best meal in the North Island”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Walking down the main street in Coromandel we spotted the Success Cafe and, not expecting too much, decided to give it a go. What a suprise! The meal was the best we had had in the North Island. Perfect rissotto, excellent fish ........ and even better dessert! A proper choice of vegetarian dishes was a real treat. A real find .......don't be put of by the exterior.

• Visited February 2011

Colac
“Never Again!”
Reviewed May 29, 2009

My husband and I spent a very long day travelling around the Coromandel Peninsula and having had no lunch were looking forward to dinner. The manager of our apartments recommended this restaurant so at 6.15 we arrived there and indicated that we wanted a three course meal. Entree was very nice- bread and dukkah. Our main meals came out and were also excellent BUT we had barely started them and the staff started to pack up outside. Next thing an overpowering smell of disinfectant came from the kitchen (smelled like Pine O clean) which was open to the dining area. The staff then proceeded to mop the floor to with about 4 feet of us. Our food and wine just tasted of disinfectant. My husband managed to finish his meal as having been in the army he has had to eat in horrendous situations. I had only one more mouthful of mine but could eat no more. I politely explained the problem to the staff to be told that they were used to the smell=, as if that was an excuse. On saying I wasn't prepared to pay for a meal I couldn't eat we were told that I should have complained as soon as the meal was brought out (they hadn't started using the disinfectant then), I had eaten too much (less than a quarter) and they were going to pack up when we arrived anyway (at 6.15 when they were supposed to be open for dinner- we were the only diners there). Naturally we did not stay for dessert!They insisted I pay for my meal which I did. The staff said the boss wasn't there so they had no authority to not charge for the food. All we could smell for the rest of the evening was disinfectant. The whole episode left us with a very bad taste in the mouth both literally and figuratively.

ireland
“Lovely little restaurant”
Reviewed February 3, 2009

A very nice restaurant serving large portions. The staff were very courtious and allowed us to take home our leftovers.