“Yummy & good prices”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Great selection of reasonably priced food. Some cheaper options in the glass cabinet, also really delicious. Lovely setting too, trendy, cool on those hot sunny days.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

It was a. Rainy evening drive around the Bay of Plenty and we found Umu by asking the petrol attendant. We had a great pizza and the kids enjoyed their meals as well. All in all, a great find. The service was very friendly. I would go back.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had an early meal, so there was only one other table. Later in the evening it filled up.
I had lamb, and it was lovely although the asparagus was 'A little over done' - very well don'. My wife had the mussel platter, this was excessive, but very nice.
The service was very good, and the staff were v pleasant.
Overall I would recommend it

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

It was a Tuesday evening lovely weather so we sat outside but we we're forgot a bit until I placed our order at the front but after that little annoyance everything was fantastic friendly staff great pizza deals and amazing chowder we where so full. Only suggestion is to offer a few desserts on the main menu as we only saw the sweets on offer when we where to full. Recommend the Graeme's special pizza and the chowder.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I had the grilled lamb and I was stunned at how everything on the plate was perfectly delicious. It was much better than many fancy places I frequent in Sydney. Roasted eggplant and capsicum, polenta, steamed asparagus,… just incredible taste.

So while the food was just astounding, note I only tried the one main dish. We shared mussel chowder for entree and it was fine. The deconstructed plum and lemon trifle for dessert was excellent. We did enjoy the wine and the service, just like everyone else in NZ it's cheeky, relaxed, friendly and helpful.

Bearing in mind we're in NZ where food is pretty expensive, and in Coromandel which is not a fancy town, it was acceptably good value at $15 for a huge soup entree, and $30 for a fairly big main course (similar to other places nearby); and it's well arranged, pleasant, and a nice calm place, but not highly atmospheric.

I'm giving at a five star overall, because while I always try to be realistic to help others on the website and it may not be a consummate all-round experience, I simply insist the food here is worth it.