“Exceptional food”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Entree's perfect, mains exceptional, desert amazing and service faultless! Even the kids meals had some thought put into them for a change!!!! Well done.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We visited Umu several times during our recent trip to Coromandel and were very pleased. I think it is the most "Auckland" cafe out of the choices in Coromandel Township, and the prices reflect that. But in saying that, the food is great.
We thoroughly enjoyed the Angus Burger, Roast Vege Salad, and the kids menu options.
Iced coffee is also on the menu - essential in summer! And it was consistently great on three occasions.
Our only criticism comes from my husband (an eggs benedict fanatic), the eggs florentine on the breakfast menu was average, so something to improve on there.
But all in all, Umu is my favourite Coro cafe - best coffee in the township!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

As it opened early and we were recommended it we went and were not disappointed. nice clean airy space with outside if you want it. Menu didn't have much for a gluten free diet

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I only had one night in amazing Coromandel Town, and I decided to go to Umu Cafe. My first choice was different, but the other restaurant was having a theme party, so I opted for Umu.
I had no idea what it would be like, but I didn't expect much from a small restaurant in a small town in New Zealand.
All I can say: it was much much more than i'd expected, and I would go there again if I'm ever in Coromandel Town again.
The food was delicious. I got the fish of the day, which was caught on the same day, and tasted really fresh. The wine was really nice, and the waitress who served was very very friendly and helpful.
We arrived quite late by Coromandel Standards, but there were still some locals at the restaurant.
I can definitely recommend Umu, and I hope your time there will be as nice as ours.

1  Thank Anita H
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This restaurant has had its fair share of good and bad reviews. However the night we went the staff were very pleasant and to our delight we actually got what we asked for - a rare steak which believe me seems a hard ask in many places. This arrived on garlic mashed potato and vegetables that were fresh and were perfectly cooked with just a little bit of crunch. I had a glass of the Frizzle Pinot Noir which sadly we cannot get in Australia. We would recommend this restaurant and for us it was the best meal we had on our visit to NZ this time.