“There and back again and again and again...”

Anchor Lodge Coromandel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Coromandel
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My love affair with the Coromandel Peninsula started with love at first sight to its scenic views made intense with longing for its quaint towns and epicurean offerings. But what made this beloved place perfect for travel-weary-shoestring-backpackers like me are places like Anchor Lodge. I was so impressed that I have stayed with Anchor Lodge thrice! It is great value for money whether I'm in a backpacker or double room as it offers a small pool/jacuzzi as well as maintained a quiet, tidy and clean accommodation. Anchor Lodge exudes a warm family and friendly atmosphere among its multicultural staff and guests so much so that I have remained friends with those I met there. It is just a short walk from town so everything is accessible especially the Corosmoke Co. and Pepper Tree Restaurant. To my constant delight, I always get dropped off and picked up by the bus right at its doorstep. When I am in Coromandel Town, Anchor Lodge is my happy place. Make it yours too!

Room Tip: If you want more privacy and time in the shower and toilet at the backpackers' lodge, ask the Ma...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed February 13, 2014

My wife and I were impressed with 4 star accommodation at reasonable rates. First impressions count and we were thrilled to have a place to stay in that offered a spa pool and swimming pool in a peaceful tranquil setting. Most important is the fact that you are only a 5min walk to some excellent coffee shops!! The staff were very helpful

Room Tip: As there are a variety of room options, make sure you let the staff know what your needs are when bo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed one night here thinking it looked really great. Maybe If you stay in the expensive cabins it's great but we stayed in a basic private double room. If you love paper thin walls then you'll be right at home! The bathrooms are terrible, both men's and women's. Three showers in a line with a pull across curtain that allows water to get all over the floor so you don't nearly slip and break your legs at all, the lack of privacy in there only adds to the special moment. The kitchen area is OK if quiet. Overall it's not bad, just not as amazing as it looks and we only booked here because the woman on the phone said the room was $55 a night, I didn't even look at my receipt until later on to notice it was actually $65 so that annoyed us as we are backpackers and were trying to save every dollar possible. Average.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
regan a, Manager at Anchor Lodge Coromandel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Anchor Lodge is mainly a motel but we do also have a hostel here. Our website has clearly marked photos of the hostel rooms and motel rooms so that people don't get them mixed up. As our rates are seasonal, you have been charged the correct rate for this time of the year. The disapointing thing is instead of letting us know you were not happy with your room, which would have given us an opportunity to move you into a different room, you have decided to go on trip advisor and write a negative review, so you were left unhappy (which you did not tell us about at the time) and we have been left with a negative review.. No winners here. We are here to provide our customers with quality accommodation and facilities and we want to know if you are not happy with anything during your stay so can fix it.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

One of the best places I have stayed at in a long time. Its good value, the room was great, the people were friendly. Its close to everything you need while on holiday in the sunny coromandel. The location was perfect!!!
I would recommend this beautiful lodge to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 7, 2014

One of the cleanest room I have stayed in. The staff put me on to great activities in the area and sorted me out a bike to ride there and around town. great experience will go back and stay when I am in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Very nice place to stay. Great location. Good Price. Good choice of rooms and appartments! Pool and whirl-pool available. Also nice back-packer accommodation available as well as really nice appartments.

Room Tip: The rooms and appartments are all great - and well layed out!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I really enjoyed staying at this lodge was a great experience, the room was clean and tidy. lots of advantages very friendly and helpful staff.
It has a good view. good parking space bbq and spa pool.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coromandel
Coromandel TOP 10 Holiday Park
Blue Marlin Apartments
Blue Marlin Apartments
#10 of 18 in Whitianga
Coromandel Colonial Cottages Motel

Been to Anchor Lodge Coromandel? Share your experiences!