“Best Restaurant in Manizales” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of il forno

il forno
Ranked #12 of 151 Restaurants in Manizales
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Manizales, Colombia
“Best Restaurant in Manizales”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife and I have been to this restaurant probably 50 times in the 7 years I lived here. Great pasta and pizzas. It's beautiful inside and they have recently added an outdoor covered dining area with heat lamps and a fabulous view of the city.

• Visited January 2013

Pickering, Canada
“Tried this restaurant as a result of review on Trip Advisor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Having written a review of Spago, a great restaurant in Manizales, I saw the review of Il Forno so I thought I'd give it a try.
As the name implies the courses are mostly Italian and there is a large menu of choices.
As mentioned in previous reviews the prices are very reasonable and as I don't drink alcohol I can't comment on the wines.
The decor is based on a rustic theme and the restaurant is quite large. The servers are attentive and food preparation time is reasonable. The restaurant is set on a hill ( what place in Manizales isn't) overlooking the eastern part of the city and the local military garrison ( el batallon). It has a spectacular view from it's patio of the mountains to the south of the city.
My wife had the Ensalada Teriyaki which was ok but lacked enough teriyaki sauce. I had the Pasta Carbonara which was rich, creamy, tasty and, for me, the right sized portion.
I would definitely go there again.
In defense of the Teriyaki salad, I'm told that we Canadians are known as "sauce people" who like all kinds of sauces and lots of it so that may account for my wife's not great rating of the salad.

• Visited May 2012
Medellín, Colombia
“Delicious... like the ones in Medellin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

I've been a fan of these restaurants since some years ago, and have to say this one in Manizales is also a great option. The value is unbeatable (9 - 14 US dollars for any plate) eve for Colombian standards.

Great pasta and pizza, but also very good beef, chicken and fish /pasta combos. The wine selection is not as great, but I'd say it's good enough.

Visited December 2011
Memphis, Tennessee
“Good food, good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

Good value and good food. The pasta carbonara was excellent. Would recommend.

Visited January 2012
Las Vegas
“Italian Food...sort of.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

My wife is a vegetarian and from time to time on our trip she got a little frustrated with the standard Colombian cuisine. The hotel recommended a visit to this Italian restaurant close to the stadium and "up-scale" areas of Manizales.

The food was okay. It seemed that they were working with limited ingredients or something. As if being the one of the few Italian restaurants in town made it difficult to get the right type of food. I had Carbonara, and it wasn't quite right. I'll admit that part of the problem might be my own American sensibility as to what Italian food should be and taste like.

At any rate, the food is good enough, and the restaurant offers a nice diversion from the standard Colombian cuisine. The service was quite effective as they use a buzzer service, which allows you to beckon wait staff by a punch of a button. Efficient. It should also be noted that the place seemed to have a wonderful view off the back patio.

1 Thank Abstractpablo