“Great value for money - highly recommended”

Villa Caribbean Dream
Ranked #1 of 8 Vieux Fort B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed there for one week during the easter holidays.
First I have to say: It really is a great guest house and there are only few downsides.
It's true what people write about the dogs. I was planning on going there alone first so I didn't mind (though I'm not a big fan of dogs either) but my colleague was rather annoyed and slightly scared. Maybe I should point out that there's a seperate area in the house which is for guests only and the dogs can't get in there... so you can avoid them if you want. Also there's no need to be afraid of them, they're huge but harmless.
I would recommend you to rent a car If you stay there, the town of Vieux Fort is in walking distance but I found the beach to be a bit too far off... maybe 40 minutes or something (only 5-10 minutes by car). We missed to arrange a car in advance (Brigitte, the owner, can help you with that) and weren't able to get one over the holidays. However, Brigitte and some other guest were very helpful and gave us a lift to the beach or the town centre every day (where you can take a bus to other parts of the island- also an intersting experience! Just beware that they don't run on holidays so you might have to take a cab).
Brigitte also picked us up from the airport and took us with her to Balenbouche estate when she went there to vistit her friends. She even gave us a lift to Rodney Bay one day, she really is incredibly helpful!
The breakfast was simply delicious. Bread, homemade jam, exotic fruit, vegetables, cheese, eggs... By far the best breakfast I've ever had.
The fridge was always filled with water and beer, wich you can buy for a very reasonable price.
The room was clean and cosy and the mosquito net on the bed was quite effective, I didn't have any bites in the mornings even when I left the window open at night for some fresh air.
There are two beautiful beaches in the Vieux Fort area, I especially liked Coconut Bay.
I also should point out that the view from the porch is stunning. You can just sit there, have a beer, relax and watch the sunset...
All in all I'd really recommend this place, especially if you're looking for a clean, affordable place that isn't crawling with tourists. The price is really reasonable, great value for money!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank SummerSun91

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were two couples each staying in the separate "villas" at the Villa Caribbean. The above ground villa was a little larger with a small kitchen and small porch. The other "villa" was smaller but had a wrap around porch. The larger villa's kitchen had a small stove but we were unable to get it to light. Brigitte was an accommodating hostess,the rooms were well maintained and the breakfasts were presented with quantities of fresh fruit, cheese, bread,vegetables and eggs on the porch. Dinners were available with notice and the ones we had were very good and a good value for the quantity and quality. There was a large refrigerator in the room to keep whatever food or water you had cold. The negative was her dogs. Very active and not well behaved,especially the younger dog. Both dogs barked quite a bit which became annoying. Also would have liked easier access to the main house. The walk to Vieux Fort is downhill going to town which means an uphill walk return. Brigitte recommended a driver who was excellent. We also used the bus system which has its benefits and difficulties,but we would recommend renting a car if you want to experience the rest of the island easier. The view from the main house is beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank suburbiava
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Villa Caribbean Dream for three nights. The rooms are nice, comfortable and clean, but what really made the place special was the hospitality of its owner, Brigitte. We stayed there around Christmas and she invited us to go with her to a Christmas Eve dinner at the Balenbouche Estate, a historic plantation where her friends live. The dinner was one of the highlights of our trip to St. Lucia. We had a delicious meal and met many interesting people, including the owners of Balenbouche who were also very hospitable.

Brigitte made great breakfasts for us and helped organize visits around the island. We would definitely return to the Villa Caribbean Dream.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank J12943
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Brigitte is a wonderful host who was amazingly helpful, kind and interesting. She fixed us wonderful meals for a reasonable price and gave us lots of pointers. Would definitely go there again if I came back to Saint Lucia.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Casey H
Reviewed March 8, 2012

If you're an independent traveller who would rather keep away from the busy tourist areas and inclusive resorts this is an ideal place to stay and Doug368's review is 'spot on'.

Brigitte made us feel very welcome to her home and was helpful in organising things such as car hire and visits to the lovely Balenbouche estate as well as suggesting places to visit or eat. Unless you intend spending everyday on the beach a hire car is highly recommended; nowhere on the island is more than an interesting 1.5 hrs drive away.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cathy and Howar... T
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Villa Caribbean Dream is owned and managed by Brigitte, a long-time German expat, who (contrary to another review) speaks perfect English. She has a couple of fairly large but very friendly dogs for security. I personally did not notice any smell from them and if they barked it did not wake me, though I tend to be a light sleeper. It’s easy being lulled to sleep by the sound of tree frogs, an exquisite experience you may miss in many of the all-inclusives.

The guest house is located about half way up the Moule a Chique, the long extinct volcano that forms the southernmost cape of St. Lucia. A short hike up to the lighthouse will give you stunning views of both the Atlantic and the Caribbean at the same time. From Brigitte’s porch you will have a great view of the Pitons, the most noted landmarks in St. Lucia.

It is rather hard to find for a first time visitor, but Brigitte will arrange to meet you at the beach by the airport and guide or take you there personally. The guest house is in a quiet neighbourhood of Vieux Fort, well away from the town and beach, but if you make the choice you will be rewarded with a real gem of a guest house, clean, bright, airy and equipped with effective mosquito netting on the beds. There is a full kitchen in the common area and mostly reliable Wi-Fi.

I stayed there three days before Christmas and had no qualms in returning for another two days in January. Brigitte is in fact looking to sell her guest house so she can retire in comfort but she does not impose, is always friendly and will make you feel at home, even when conditions get a little challenging.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Doug368
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I visited Villa Caribbean Dream in Vieux Fort a few years ago, after finding the guesthouse randomly on the internet. That visit was 4 very relaxing days lazing on the veranda watching the birds, visiting the local bar by the beach, The Reef and enjoying time with Villa CD'd owner, Brigitte.
I couldn't wait to go back with my bf and did so just a week ago during a 2 week Caribbean trip....so I did even more lazy days, filling up each morning with Brigitte's unique breakfast and meeting up with familiar faces too.
I cannot wait to return to de-stress and breathe in the calm surroundings, comfortable rooms and wonderful host!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Hewanorra Gardens
Hewanorra Gardens
#4 of 8 in Vieux Fort

Been to Villa Caribbean Dream? Share your experiences!