Tripadvisor
Vieux Fort
7,651 results
All reviews kids club lazy river swim up bar water slides coconut bay the grill adult pool st lucia buffet restaurant something for everyone atlantic side entertainment team a la carte restaurants turtle grass family vacation all ages gift shop
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at Coconut Bay resort in January 2020, 10-18. We arrived at the airport (worst airport - completely unorganized). Once we received our bags, the shuttle to the airport was ready to go; THAT was a great first start with the resort. Once in the shuttle, the resort is LITERALLY 5 minutes and that is only because of the speed bumps on the road to the place. Other than that, it is a VERY short drive which was wonderful after traveling all day. Once we arrived at the resort, we were greeted with a welcome drink that was fabulous! We arrived early to the resort, 1:30, and I do believe check in is around 3 so we waited a long while for our room. However, we did arrive early so not entirely the resorts fault. I did realize during the week when we required room service, it was a little slow. Once we received our room key, guest services showed us to our room and our bags showed up shortly after that! We stayed in 301 on the splash side. We did intend for the adult only side however it was booked so book accordingly! The third floor was perfect for us. The resort has elevators if you require it however the stairs were not bad at all. Our room was very close to the lobby which was convenient however, the resort has a lot of nightly entertainment so if you do not like loud music at night i'd recommend staying on the adult only side or further away from the lobby.
The rooms are a little outdated - the bathroom could be a bit bigger also. The shower is extremely small. We didn't spend much time in the room during the day so we didn't need a great room but if rooms are important to you i've had much better.
This resort is located on the EAST side of the island which tends to be very windy due to the Atlantic. The wind overall wasn't a bother when you're on the resort but if you're a beach person, this isn't the resort for you. We sat on the beach one day and were covered in sand. It is a GREAT beach for walks and if you intend to be in the water but for sitting, I do not recommend. The water did not have much seaweed which was a plus! There is a bar on the beach which is convenient; a five minute walk from the resort. Many hammocks to lay on!! Overall, the pools are great; the lazy river and slides are a great addition. Food : Overall, the food was fine. The main restaurant which is the buffet, could have had a few more tables but overall not bad. Make sure to make reservations at the other restaurants when you first arrive. Silk (Asian), Seaside (Italian), and Calabash (Caribbean - our favorite), were all lovely. If you have the chance, request Carlton. He is an amazing waiter! The drinks at the resort were always very strong which was nice as they did not taste watered down. Not much to say about the nightly entertainment as we are early birds and didn't stay up for much of that. There is a piano bar upstairs for adults only after 9 but overall, the families kept their kids well behaved. I do not have one complaint about the family factor of the resort however, I would say it is a family resort and if you want to be in adults only, they do have that side. WIFI is free throughout the resort which is great so we could communicate with family through text messaging.
We did once excursion : Land & Sea. We had a part of 10 so each of us paid $125/person. You are picked up at the resort and roughly a 15 minute drive to the catamaran. The water is much calmer on the West side of the island so the boat ride was amazing! We were then taken to our first snorkeling site in between the Pitons. We there were taken to our second snorkeling site where the water was much deeper! After our two snorkeling sites, we were then dropped off for our land part of the tour. First stop, lunch at this great little place where they had a small buffet of local food. We then went to the waterfall which was not too shabby; however, i've seen much better. Then, the last part of the tour is either a short tour into a drive in volcano OR a mud bath. HIGHLY recommend you wear a dark bathing suit for the mud bath and maybe an older suit. The SULFUR scent is strong but looks well worth it! We did not opt into the mud bath but still enjoyed the tour guides education. Once we toured the volcano, that was the end of the tour where we had roughly 45-60 min drive back to the resort. The roads are a bit windy so if you get motion sickness you may not like this.

Room tip: Rooms on the Adult side are quieter or rooms on the splash side further away from the lobby.
1  Thank erinvanvorst
ZPF758, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

erinvanvorst

Sounds like you tried everything around the island, and the resort. Thank you for a nice review, safe travels

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed in the Harmony wing where the accommodations were crisp and clean and the room was bright and spacious. I was especially drawn to the Serenity side for outdoor lounging and sunning with lots of cozy seating and private nooks around each bend. When it comes to service, I must say Coco Bay really knows their game. Upon arrival, while ours rooms were being prepared, we were immediately taken care of by Latoya who ensured we were made comfortable with food and drinks in hand. The poolside bubble machine added some unexpected amusement, but on the flip side, the recorded reggae music playing in a low monotone, incessantly thumping in the background in the lobby or the outdoor bar, was less than desirable.

Room tip: Rooms in the Harmony wing are quieter. I personally prefer first floor accomodations to avoid climbing stairs.

bettiannw

So lounging at Serenity? or Splash?

Thank you for the review, glad the foam party was a hit. Music is always something difficult when trying to get a feel for the crowd.

Thanks for the review

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We spent 14 days (Jan 4 to 18). We enjoyed the holiday. Harmony concierge desk - excellent to deal with (Vernita called us twice to ask if everything was alright). Vernita always had a friendly hello when she saw us walking through lobby. The meals were great. Vernita made sure our two weeks restaurant reservations suited us. The Staff - wow - the hostess at breakfast time - (lost my paper with her name) but truly a breath of fresh air. She always remembered our room number and we like sitting by the window. She actually started calling me Sunshine but truly it was the other way - she was the Sunshine.. Pearl our housekeeping did an excellent job cleaning room and she always had a friendly little note left for us. Took time to talk with staff and joke around, even the security staff.
Now it was very windy, rained in morning for a bit. We brought bug spray never used it, had East Carribean money but they do accept US dollar, we took adapter but never used it.
The first complaint we had was - they never in 14 days spray/wash down pool deck - and there was a lot of drink spills etc. The loungers were in need of a good cleaning (sticky)
The second complaint - a couple restaurants have dress codes - and this was not enforced. I made my husband pack dress pants and shirts and proper footwear and the. Others would walk in with no collar t-shirts, flip flops, and/or pool shorts on, and ball cap. There are numerous signs at restaurant and booking desk stating the dress code. The Adventures desk - awesome - Lloyd our tour guide for Green Jeep tour - such a friendly, funny, knowledgeable young guy.
Great job to staff who cleaned sea grass off beach.
We really did enjoy our holiday. Big thanks to all.

Room tip: Harmony side third floor - ocean view

Evie D

Wonderful to hear about your recent stay. A few things to mention, we do wash down the pool deck, mostly on the over nights. I will double check to make sure this is getting done.

And Yes dress codes should be enforced. To be honest, I am always trying to understand how to make this work with out ruffling feathers. The reason is I used to work in NYC at The Plaza hotel. We had the same collared shirt requirements. So what do you do:

I have a $200 silk collarless shirt and sport coat and a $9. Walmart shirt and sport coat. So the person who clearly is in a category to purchase a $200 silk shirt I turn away for the $9.00 Walmart shirt simply because of a collar. Really does go over well, but rules are rules right? At times a judgment a call on the field has to be made with out the assistance of instant replay. hope that made sense

Thanks again (I was not being snarky just sharing a real life moment in my career)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I will begin by saying that our group of 9 certainly had fun. However, I’m struggling to understand all of the 4 and 5 star reviews. So, I’m going to try and write the type of review that would have been helpful to me when I was researching and planning this trip last year because there are absolutely some things that one needs to consider before booking. Honestly, I wanted to give Cbay 3.5 stars, but don’t have the option. We did a lot of research prior to booking and decided that we were ok with risking some of the consistent negative aspects that I was seeing in the reviews. Part of me wishes I hadn’t. Hence, the 3 star review.

Pros:

Food is fantastic, no complaints. The jerk treehouse is fantastic and has some of the best chicken we’ve had anywhere. The buffet was varied each night we ate there and we all found different dishes that we loved! We were able to get a reservation at each specialty restaurant when we arrived and they were all great. My personal favorite was calabash. They do enforce the dress code at each restaurant which I was happy to see. I have been at other resorts that are inconsistent.

Staff are very friendly and accommodating. Had very few negative interactions. Would like to specifically mention Nisa and Dory at the jerk treehouse and bartenders Eldon and Linus. The transfer to and from the airport was smooth and we felt welcomed the minute they found our names on the list at the airport. We have been to multiple AI resorts and Cbay staff are the friendliest I’ve met.

The entertainment was mostly good. We really enjoyed country night—had a blast dancing and singing.

Cons: I’m going to preface this by saying that I’m completely aware that some of the cons are completely outside of the hotels control. However, if I had seen more people complain about the same things I’m about to, I may have thought a bit harder before booking. I’m sure the manager will have something snarky to say back to me in response, but this is simply my opinion and I am entitled to it.

The beach. It leaves a lot to be desired. Sea is quite rough. We wished we had booked on the carribean side. We booked a rental car and went to the other side which was gorgeous. I’m aware that comes at a higher price point but it would have been worth it for us I think. Just something to consider when you are weighing options. Additionally, the wind is terrible—I know, I know...kite surfers paradise. But, we didn’t come here to kite surf so the wind is really bothersome to us. Once again, nothing the hotel can do about this. I just wish I had known how bad the wind is. The water isn’t the beautiful blue that we are used to in the carribean. Not blaming the hotel, just disappointed. I will say, the seaweed isn’t as bad presently as some have mentioned.

The resort itself. It’s old. They’ve clearly tried to cover this up with paint and some renovations, but it’s showing it’s age. It’s not terrible, but certainly noticeable in the bathrooms and other areas throughout the resort. My brothers door literally fell off one day when he attempted to go out on the patio. Maintenance responded appropriately, but just sharing this as a specific example. That said, the resort feels pretty clean overall.

Most of the pools were way too cold for us with the added factor of the wind (mind you, we were a group of mostly 20-30 year olds) It’s really a shame because we didnt really want to get in the ocean because of the wind/roughness but the pools weren’t comfortable either. The lazy river is nice and we did have some fun floating and sipping there. **one major issue we had was that all of the guys in our group literally lost all or most of the hair on their legs and some of them have mild chemical looking burns on their lower legs as well. The only common denominator is the hot tub. We spent some time most days sitting on the side with legs in drinking and chatting. Yes, we took frequent breaks as there were signs posted encouraging this. We are blaming the chlorine levels for this as I also had a swimsuit that became bleached and ruined after using the hot tub one day. There is a sign that states this can happen, it’s just a shame because it was an expensive suit and at our hot tub at home I’ve never had an issue—yes we manage the chlorine levels appropriately. We did bring this up to staff at the front desk, they said “sorry”.

To address a few other things I’ve seen she researching: we haven’t found the mosquitos to be an issue at all, maybe a couple of bites between all of us. Didn’t have any issues finding chairs even later in the day and we were able to easily obtain reservations at specialty restaurants with our group of 9.

It’s summarize, the food and drinks were great and we did have a nice time enjoying those thing. I think it also helped that there were 9 of us and we certainly kept each other entertained. Would we return? I don’t think so. Too many cons, some outside of the hotels control. Maybe it just wasn’t a good fit for us as I can see in many other reviews how much guests seem to love it here. The positive TripAdvisor reviews were honestly how we made our decision to come so I felt inclined to share our experience as well.

5  Thank lbebert

lbebert

Thank you for the review, As you clearly point out some of the things are out of the hotels control. Nothing Snarky about that.

As for 4-5 stars you are right it is opinion driven by the individuals that post.

I do like the review and how you sew in the positives areas. As for the ones that generated a 3 Star, Iam addressing it as I type with the team.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

There were 3 families along for this trip: my husband and I, our single adult daughter, and our daughter, her husband and their 2 and 4 yr old boys. My youngest grandson has a sesame allergy. Upon check-in this was mentioned. They arranged for my daughter to meet with the chef to discuss the allergy. This was much appreciated. We had 3 hotel rooms. Two of those were adjoining rooms. The room with the king size bed also had a trundle bed. The room with the 2 queen beds had a small pull out sofa. The rooms were clean and bright.

My daughters and I joked that whoever trained the staff in customer service should be responsible for training all staff everywhere. Everyone was so accommodating and cheerful.A few of the waitstaff in the dining room went above and beyond as the 2 and 4 year olds spilled drinks more than once. I am not sure of the name of the fitness instructor, I believe it was Vernon, but he was amazing. We signed up for a few of the fitness classes and they were strenuous, even the aquarobics class was great. And it was worth it just to see Vernon lead the exercises at the side of the pool. He moved so beautifully my daughters and I asked him if he had classical dance training and he did.

Lots to do here with the kids. We kayaked, paddle boarded, went to the foam party, went in the hammocks in the ocean, enjoyed the 2 special buffet night that were outside. One was the Caribbean night with fire eaters and dancers and the other was the Western night.

I think our little guys enjoyed the swim up bar most. By mid week the 4 yr old was playing bartender. I am sure when he returned to preschool they wondered about his new career choice.

There were some bumps along the way but nothing that would prevent us from going back. Food in the buffet was good not excellent. But there were lots of choices. Food in the restaurants was better. This is not a 5 star resort but it is reasonably priced and we had a great time.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank corinnee72

corinnee72

Great to hear that the Culinary team and staff was able to help with food allergy's. And thank you! for letting us know about it. Too many times we are not told and guest claim things after the fact.

New Career choice for the 4 year old sound fun! I will offer a job when old enough.

You are correct, we are not a 5 star resort, however, the experience is what we are always after, and a 5 Star experience is the key here.

Thanks again