“Awesome Vacation!”

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vieux Fort
“Awesome Vacation!”
Reviewed June 18, 2006

My family just returned from the best week long vacation ever! This was our second trip to St.Lucia and we chose this resort mainly because of it's location. We stayed on the north side of the island in 2004 and learned that most of the adventurous type of activities are in the south including the airport, I know St. Lucia is small but I'm talking over an hour each way everytime you go out. I have three thrill seeking teenagers plus a husband who thinks he's still one, so sitting around the pool is not an option for our family vacations. Coconut Bay was much better than I expected after reading some of the earlier comments posted. The food was good not great but can someone please tell me where great food exists in the Caribbean, this was our 18th trip of 6 islands. The rooms were much better than we expected and it was great to have adjoining rooms. The only complaint I had was having to insert your key on the wall to activate the air conditioning, not so wonderful during my hotflash stage. The resort was very clean and in my opinion its best feature was the staff, they were soooo friendly and tried very hard to please. On the first night we met another family from the U.K. who had been there for a week and didn't share our opinion of the resort or St. Lucia. It was obvious after a few rum and cokes why they were dissappointed, they had never left the resort! How do people do that? We convinced them to go on an ATV adventure with us the following day and had a ball riding along the beach. From that day on we converted them into sharing our island adventure, over the week we went on the canopy tour- you ride/slide down these cables, high up in the air through the rain forest , 8 or 9 cables in a row, a total blast. We mountained biked outside of Souifrer the boys were in heaven a little too much work for me, but worth the trade off for my day cruise snorkeling trip! You haven' t seen St. Lucia unless you have seen it from the water it is truely stunning, the Pitons (two big mountains rising up out of the water) unbelievable snorkeling there. Our last two days I chilled by the pool and hit the spa while the boys learned to kite surf next door, a huge hit!! The Spa was much more than I expected, very well done and the treatments were quite reasonable, I recommend the coconut and almond butter massage it is out of this world. One important tip, because the resort is on the Atlantic side there is a constant breeze very much like Aruba, so you never feel the heat when laying out in the sun so watchout and wear your sun screen, I witnessed several folks getting over cooked. I could go on and on, we had such a wonderful time and all I can say to those going to St. Lucia who don't plan on experiencing the island go to Las Vegas and hang out by the pool and waste your money on the casinos! And to all of us Americans we should learn something from the Europeans, they enjoy 4 weeks of vacation a year, we all should join them! Enjoy St Lucia!

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,705)
New York
Reviewed June 17, 2006

Coconut Bay Resort
St. Lucia
April 25 – May 3, 2006

My husband and I went to Coconut Bay in St.Lucia for our anniversary. We had read mixed reviews of the resort, but decided to give it a try. We were first concerned as the closeness of the airport. There are two airports-Hewanorra Airport was closest to the resort. It was nice after the long trip to have about a 5 minute drive to the resort. Honestly a few planes took off everyday (small airport), but the noise was never an issue & honestly did not bother us at all-a swish & they were gone. No fumes either (which we were concerned about). The other airport is George Charles & is about a 1 ½ hour ride north.
Based on our rating we would give this resort 3 ½ stars. It had been the old Club Med & they have done a lot of work. The only negative is if you are looking for a big sandy beach, well you are out of luck. The sand is beautiful, but not too much beach. In fact a lot of the beach chairs on up on a boardwalk patio or the grass under the palm trees. We had enough room to sit on a chaise on the beach, so we were happy. The negative was the sea weed, which they accumulated on the beach & did not clear it until we were ready to leave. It did not smell. But had to walk over it & wade thru a little to go swim. I guess it was not a busy season when we were there.
The hotel had all kinds of activities. They had things posted for throughout the day, if you wanted to keep busy. Plus they have baby sitting & a kidz club(we don’t have kids, so can not comment) They have a fitness center with tread mill, Arch trainer, Cybec & Icon universal equipment & some free weights (no straight bars). Nothing BIG, but fair. They have a spa offering all kinds of things from massage, reflexology, wraps, manicure etc(Did not use). They have a sports facility offering tennis, basketball, volley ball, table tennis, snorkeling equipment etc. They also have a pin ball machine & two other video game machines. They have “Cocoloand: water park with slides & a lazy river to relax in. They have three pools –the adult on set to the far right, the swim up pool – quite large, and an other small one for the kids. Plus a whirlpool looking at the beach.
They have several bars: Lobby Bar (10am-11pm), Swim Up Bar (10am-6pm), Peter Johns Lounge (6pm-1am), Beach Bar/Catz Meow(10am-1am)-plus certain parts of the beach, towards the adult area they come around to serve you. There is a disco(Did not go).
As for food they have the buffet “Coconut Walk” normally open every day for 3 meals-except when they have a theme night. We were there for the “Caribbean Nigh” & the “Beach BBQ”. Breakfast & Lunch self serve & dinner they work off a menu, but self serve salads etc. Then there is the Snack bar by the pools for your quick foods:hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches etc.
Next we have the fancier restaurants you must make a reservation for the day before. Not
shorts of flip flops-men are to wear a collard shirt & slacks)….not overly dressing, but no beachclothes. These are “Silk” Asian Cuisine & “Bellagio” Italian Cuisine. Over all the food every place was very good, if you are still hungry-just go someplace else. There is no room service or mini bar in the room.
The rooms have safes and are a bit plain, but very nice. The second & third floor rooms have sliding doors outs out to a patio (first floor walks out). The electric is the British standard flat 3 pin plug – 220V/50HZ- so bring an adapter if you are from the states. We are from New York. They do have a blow dryer, iron & Ironing board in the room. If you want view, go for the third floor & ask for a room with an unobstructed view. The hotel is set back a little & there are palm trees. The tv has quite a few channels including HBO, ESPN, CINEMAX,NICK,CNN etc.
The check out tome is 11am, they do offer you a courtesy shower and changing room which is located in the lobby washrooms. If you want to keep your room until 2pm(they supposedly charge you $100-but I guess it depends how busy they are). Check in is 3pm. They also hve a nurse on duty.
As for phone calls, better getting a phone card ahead of time. You can use the phone service their (not part of the hotel) that claimed it was $1.20 a minute, but somehow a 10 minute phone call back to New York was almost $40!!!! They have a computer with internet, but it was I think $10 for 5 minutes.
Overall we had a nice time. The east side of the hotel where Coconut Bay is, the water is deep shades of blue. The west side has more of the different shades of blue/green. We had no problems swimming in the beach. Did not find it rough to swim. Some parts of the water underneath were a lot rough on the feet-but not too bad.
Before our trip I was reading on the message boards & came across a local fellow named Bernard Montoute “Bernard’s Tours” (758)488-3455 or (758)714-1049. His email is stluciataximan@hotmail.com and the website is [----]www.crusiecritic.com. He will take you anywhere you want & is very reasonable & a lot of fun. Tell him Suzy & Marco from New York sent you. It will be cheaper then the hotel tours & accommodates all your needs.
For fishing & whale/dolphin sightseeing give Chris [--------------------] He is located at the top of the island at Virgie Marina, Castries. Tell him we said hello!
Overall we had a great time, so enjoy!!!

11 Thank SuzyNy
Reviewed June 16, 2006

Beaches were bad, dirty, couldnt even sit on the beach. The rooms were full of rouches and bugs. The food was terrible, entertiment was bad, the hotel staff are the ones who tried to amuse us, but it didnt work. No kind of actives for the kids or even adults to do.
Service was horrible, always waiting to get drinks, food or even someone to even come up to us to see if we needed anything.
The pictures on the web site was all fake (FALSE ADVERTISMENT), we at one point saw them taking photos of things they set up for a photo shoot. There was nothing that we saw in the website that match when we got to the hotel.
The hot water system never worked, when you use the restrooms at night time you could even wash the hands, they shut down the water system.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 15, 2006

my wife and i went on our honeymoon from 5-30 to 6-7 of '06. ----just a quick report for anyone that had the same concerns as we did.
1- this is definitely a place to go if you are looking to RELAX. if you want action, its best to stay on the northern part of the island, i would suggest rodney bay. but , after months of wedding planning, all we wanted was to unwind in peace and quiet. the beach was never crowded. we liked that.
2- i was worried that the drinks would be watered down. this was absolutely not a problem at coconut bay . if you do go here, FIND SKEET, the man makes a mean carribean explosion, and bloody mary for the next day. a very friendly guy as well.
3-coconut bay was very safe and the staff was very friendly. no problems
4- our ac worked every day. every day we were there, it was 95+, and we had no problem.
5-the rooms were very clean, the maids were very friendly and helpful.
6-if you are honeymooners, make it known to your travel agent-we received a special package for no additional charge.the wife got a complimentary massage in the spa, we got an excellent dinner for just the two of us in the gazebo on the beach, and complimentary champagne when we returned from our gazebo dinner in our room, with the whole room and bed decorated with roses. a nice touch
7-if you plan a trip off the resort, i would suggest hiring a cabbie for the day, as the roads are very mountainous and curvy, we were definitely happy we let him do the driving. we loved marigot bay, and also the deep sea fishing. we both thought the shopping trip to castries was overrated, the locals started to bug the hell out of me after about 15 minutes. also , the pitons and the drive in volcano were nice, but they werent at the top of our list.
overall, we loved the place , and i'm not even a beach person. i dont know if we'll go back , but thats only because we like to go to new places. 1-10 , i would rate our whole trip a 8.5.

• Stayed May 2006
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
West Virginia
Reviewed June 13, 2006

We stayed at the Coconut Bay Resort for our honeymoon and enjoyed every bit of this resort. It was such a beautiful place to spend the week after a long year of planning our wedding. Our only worry was what drink to order next. Plenty of food, drinks and the people of St. Lucia are awesome!!! If you don't like this resort, then you have too many high expectations. Go there with an open mind, relax, and swim up to the pool bar and get yourself something to drink! We will definitely go back, perhaps on our 5 year anniversary.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank GymRat24
Reviewed June 12, 2006

What was to be expected as a great all inclusive, the Coconut Bay resort had a lot to be desired. I have only traveled all inclusive vacations and found that this was for better words BORING. There was no nightly entertainment in the entire resort. The make shift disco only had 4 people in it when I was there. The food, well, your stuck with it because there are no other places to eat. They certainly can make a lot out of chicken. Not a very large selection on any of the buffets. We tried SILK, the Asian restaurant........it was so so warm (lack of air conditioning) that we left half way through the meal. We were told to go to Castries to experience more "fun" things to do. Take the public transportation and realize how great it is to live in the USA. 15 people crowded in to a mini van for an hour! What fun. The city of Castries (the capital) was disgusting!!!!!!! No sights to see except for the duty free shop. I had higher expectations of the entire trip. Maybe it was just the resort and the recommendations that we got but I know Oprah Winfrey loves it there, so go at your own risk.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2006

Staring comments: Although this is a Foreign Island – tipping should not be.
I was on an ALL day Catamaran cruise with 12 couples, 3 from the US.
The US passengers were the only ones that tipped the crew. I was so horrified - as everyone commented on what a great time they had – especially considering the currency exchange rate! Over the next days I inquired to our other tour guides if this is the norm. What an ear full I got! What goes around comes around! This is their livelihood – please be more courteous if you enjoyed yourselves

The Resort – Cliff note version:
This resort was a couples/singles type resort – I think a Club Med – two years ago and converted.
As long as you know the following ahead of time and are looking for basics, I would recommend this resort for a shorter stay.
It is as if the Coconut Bay is run by well-meaning unsupervised high school students.
After rising at 3 a.m. and arriving at 3 p.m. at the resort – it took 45 minutes to check in. There was only 1 family ahead of us. We were a party of three, yet they gave us a room with 1 king bed. When questioned – they then found out it also had a pull out. Good thing we had a child and not another adult in our party.
I did not find the conveniences or amenities I expected from an all-inclusive. Providing food and the presence of a spa do not earn such a title. The ironic part is – that I’m not sure they know the difference. It reminded me of hair salons that claim the same, and call themselves “Full-Service” or “Day-Spa” because they offer nail treatments as well as cuts.
It is clean.
The pools are excellent and so is the breakfast buffet.
It’s a toss up whether the staff member you happen upon is knowledgeable or not – but they are friendly and courteous.
The AC is pre-set to 77 degrees F in the rooms. – Traveling with a child – we returned mid-day for naps and found the room uncomfortably warm.
The service is…. eventual – perhaps better equipped in high season!?
There are 2 restaurants; Silk and Bellagio – but you can only go once each during a 7 day stay.
We inquired about other near by restaurants. They suggested a few but had no sample menus and did not know anything about others we were interested in other parts of the island.
They did have nice music in the lobby and in the Buffet area often.

More Details:
Food: The “Coconut Walk” where all other meals are served – is not air-conditioned (AC) and they think nothing of letting incoming birds WALK on open food platters! Its all open – so you can’t quite prevent the winged visitors – but my God – put a cover over the food!!!!! We eat out about 3-4X/wk so I feel confident saying Bellagio needs some work as well as the menu. For 20 minutes there was just the 3 of us there – so no distractions for the staff – yet I only ordered 2 items & dessert, and they forgot one. The children’s menu did not have a dessert so we ordered one off our menu. (As if I can sit there with a toddler and not give him a treat). The night we were at Silk – the waiter ( I only wish I recalled her name to give credit where due) was exceptional as well as the food – the best we had all week. Due to lack of guests I’m guessing, 2 nights were Ala Cart at Coconut Walk instead of buffet. SCARY! Lamb, Vegetarian Entrée, or Marinara Pasta – we went with the latter. The noodles were fatally over salted – and I LOVE salt, and there were undisguised mini tentacles poking out of my pasta. We ordered the “Hot Dog Pizza” for our child – only to receive lunch’s hot dog rolls filleted with shredded cheese. Where’s the beef?

Rooms:I read many posts claiming how spacious the rooms are. Irrelevant! There’s no place to hang wet clothing but the humid & often too windy balcony. We had to turn the furniture hardware upside-down and use it as hooks and every available mirror and picture corner. It was ridiculous that there weren’t shelves and more hooks in the bath especially! No DVD/video players - and English speaking Channels (“programs”) – even when set to English – are still ½ Spanish. All was fine when we left our room in the a.m. – but after housekeeping left and we returned – the toilet wouldn’t flush. I called the desk 3X and it took 2 hours for maintenance to show up. I was also woken 3 nights in a row. I first thought it was some night bird but the sound became a litany it was so consistent – like something whacking a flagpole repeatedly. I think it may have been a compressor.
The resort guide provided is missing pertinent info, so you have to call the mostly unknowing staff for everything.
General:
There isn’t an ATM machine so we had to pay $12 cab fair and drive to the airport.
This may just be a cultural situation – but both of us were stunned – separately – when we each reported how some middle-school age children had run up and cut us off while waiting for the elevator. I am pregnant and there was no more than 9” between me and the door and I was shocked to have my limited personal space invaded when a child ran & stood RIGHT in front of me. I think his nose must have pressed against the door. Where did they think they were going to get ahead of me? It seems there were many unsupervised staff’s children running about.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!