“Amazing hotels for kids”

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Oxfordshire
“Amazing hotels for kids”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

This hotel was amazing for our children whilst we were on holiday in st Lucia. The water park swimming pools were fantastic as was the amazing kids club. The swim up bar was great for ordering a cocktail and the lazy river was perfect for drinking it sat in a tube. The accommodation was quite basic yet functional and comfortable. My only complaint would be the selection and style of food was very much geared up to a majority American audience and very little local cuisine or specialities was on offer. Aside from this the weekly BBQ,s were fantastic.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank klw270299
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear klw270299,

Thanks for the review we truly appreciate the comments from our guests. We are thrilled that you and your family could visit and appreciate our Kids Klub. The team there are the most caring bunch and truly love each of “their” Kids.

We hope you will come back and see us.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,701)
South Wales
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We have just come back from the Coconut Bay in St Lucia and wanted to write a review.
When we first arrived, like a few other reviews, we thought...hmmm..it is in need of a little sprucing up. That is where any negative thoughts ended as when we entered the lobby we saw that the inside was tastefully decorated and were met with cool towels and a chilled rum punch. We instantly changed our ideas of the hotel as all the staff we so happy, friendly and helpful. I have never experienced anything like it. It made a 3-4 star hotel a 5 star one. Nelly and Rick in the restaurants are worth a mention as they always treated us like extra special guests (Thank you both!!). There are two sides to this hotel which are the Harmony which is for adults only and Splash for families. They are in separate blocks which are four stories high. The cheapest rooms are the first floor and the most expensive are the fourth. The room that we had (330) had two queen size beds which were really comfy. The maid changed the towels every day. The only slight niggle we (and other families) encountered was that even though the room air conditioning had adjustable controls.....we couldn't raise the temperature. I know that this sounds silly but it was actually pretty cold in the room at night as the temperature was set too low.

Pools:- (All fresh water and are quite warm) There are free pool towels every day which you exchange next to the main pool.
One large free form pool is suitable for all ages as the deepest it gets is about chest height.
One medium size pool which is deeper and has all the fitness and activities.
One small pool which is again good for a little chill out time.
Water Slides:-
There are two water slides. One is an open type which ends in a splash pool. You then go down a smaller chute to leave. The other slide is an enclosed one which actually goes underground for a few seconds and is quite exciting. Next to the slides is a large lazy river with inflatable rings. There are never any queues for any of these which is a first for us!
Restaurants:-
Capri - Next to the main pool. AMAZING snacks! The pulled pork sandwich, chicken sandwich and pizzas are honestly fantastic. This is also open during the night if you book beforehand.
Calabash - French/Creole food. Again you have to book this beforehand but the food and service is great.
Silk - Chinese food which again is bookable.
Main Restaurant - We thoroughly enjoyed the meals here. You name it, they have it from steaks, salads, Italian, stir frys, ribs, omelettes and chicken...all made in front of you so its all hot and fresh. I know I have mentioned this but the service is unbeatable. As soon as you are shown to your table iced water is poured and you are asked what other beverages you would like. (Wine, beer and any soft drinks). As soon as your glass is empty they are there asking if you would like a top up.
The main lobby is a nice place, the bar serves all spirits, wines, cocktails and soft drinks all through the day. Entertainment is here most nights. Not brilliant to be honest, especially for the kids as it is mostly for older people and consisted mainly of a small band playing southern blues, or something like that. The kids normally played at the pool tables at the side of the lobby.
They did have, however, two outside dining nights by the pool which were great. One was a Caribbean night with all types of bbq type food with great entertainment on the stage. The other was a country and western night which, even though we thought was a little strange, we enjoyed it all the same.
The beach does have a slight problem with seaweed and a number of times a day the staff clean it up with a tractor and bulldozer which I don't think it really annoyed us...more distracted us from the sound of the sea.
All in all, this really is a fantastic hotel with even better staff. We had a wonderful time there and will not hesitate to go back again. In fact...we look forward to it!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank The-happy-couple-481
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear The -happy-couple...,

Thank your for choosing Coconut Bay for your recent stay in St. Lucia. We have read your comments about the Resort and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests' satisfaction is our main priority.

We are pleased to know that you had a positive experience and we look forward to welcoming you back at Coconut Bay.

Trinidad
Reviewed August 8, 2014

My extended family and I stayed at Coconut Bay in the summer (August) 0f 2013. The fight BA into Hewanorra International Airport was great. The resort is literally a two minute drive away. There is a kiosk on the right as you exit arrivals and you get complementary transfers to the hotel.

The rooms look a bit dated but were clean and well kept. The food was excellent, we particularly enjoyed the Calabash for dinner, the shrimp appetizer and lamb chops were great. Silk - asian fusion and Capri - italian ware also good. The beach grill was our go to for late snacks, the pizzas were great, but never enough. The wing and fries were a hit with all in our group.

The kids enjoys the water-park immensely, I enjoyed the lazy river the most. The Cocoland kids club was a hit with my little ones. Activities were well organised and supervised.

Will definitely visit again!!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the ocean view rooms. Splash rooms are a bit more dated. If not with kids go for the Harm...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank gsingh
Dear gsingh,

Thank you for your comments, the team is grateful for your visit and even more that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope you will be coming back soon!

Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We have just returned from a magical holiday to this all inclusive resort. We were in the lazy river less than an hour after we landed and filled with food and drink for the entire 11 days! Everyone went out of their way to make this feel like the most special place and it truly is the staff that make this holiday the trip of a lifetime. In particular, Barbara, the wedding coordinator, who took care of every detail and some! She knew what we wanted before we did and was just brilliant for the whole time - not just the wedding day... The girls in the spa were professional and yet completely laid back - thank you Dahlia and Nelly. The bar staff too are always in a party mood, especially Dillan! Marz was one of many amazing waiting staff and Samanfra showed us some of the island, which wasn't as easy as it sounded with so many different requirements. The rooms were clean and well equipped and we were well compensated when the water supply was disrupted. My daughter LOVED the kids club, and the buffet style dining. We (adults) prefered the food at Calabash but it was all of very high quality. Make sure you book at least one meal here! Nothing was too much, too busy or too difficult for any of the staff and I would love to visit again.... soon!!!

Room Tip: The higher you go the better with regards to the rooms - try the top floor!
1 Thank SSTyler
Dear SSTyler,

Congratulations on your wedding!
On behalf of the entire team I would like to say how thrilled we are that you had a fantastic stay with us, amazing wedding and all the team involved in making your wedding memorable has been commended for their service.

Your comments on the food are much appreciated as our Food and Beverage team work very hard to please each of our guests.

We do look forward to seeing you again.

Cheers,
South Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I stayed for a week with my family in July. It was stunning from the time we landed till the time we took off. No lines No waiting at the Airport, everything went very smoothly. The resort is very close to the Airport so it was a quick ride after a long flight. The Staff was excellent. The food was fresh and lots of choices to choose from. The liquor was Top shelf and BIG Ted is the best bar manager around.
The children's club was bar none. Activities every hour all day long. My daughter had a excellent time there. They also have a kids swim up bar with character named drinks!

I travel all over the World and this so far is the best bang for your buck with or without children.
Not a bad thing to say. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The bottom floor has walk out access to the pool and the beautiful grounds.
2 Thank Pete Y
Dear Pete Y,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. It is great news to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you and your family found the Kids Klub to be such a positive experience that you wrote about it. The team at the Kidz Klub are some of the most thoughtful and caring individuals I have had the pleasure to work with. Thanks and I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments.

boston, ma
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We just returned from a great week at Coconut Bay. The location so close to the airport was great. As soon as we came out of customs there was the Coconut Bay kiosk and a car waiting to whisk us over to start our vacation. As we stepped out of the car at the lobby we were greeted to a nice rum punch (non-alcoholic for the kids) which was refreshing after the flight. At check-in we were told our room was not yet ready (we arrived at 2, check in isn't until 3) so we walked around and then had a nice lunch in the buffet restaurant.
We got the keys to our room 308 at around 3, and headed up. I was told our bags would be brought up, and after waiting 15 minutes we decided to go get them ourselves. The kids were so anxious to get to the pool, we needed our bathingsuits!
We stayed in the 3rd floor of the Splash side, a room with a king bed and a daybed/trundle for the kids. These were not made up when we arrived, and I called the desk to ask to have them made up. We went to dinner and when we returned they still weren't made up, so we called and someone came right away. Not a big deal, but if the room is booked with kids coming in it should be ready to go. Everyone was pretty tired after the long day of travel and ready to crash!
The pool area was large and we didn't have any trouble finding a spot to sit at any time during the week. It was lovely to sit by the pool with a view of the ocean. The waterslides were a lot of fun for the kids, as was the lazy river. We also took advantage of the activities pool with scheduled volleyball and water polo games. We also some days sat down at the beach, again no problem finding a lounge. They work very hard to clear the seaweed each day. My family also took advantage of the kayaks available at the beach. The beach volleyball games were fun to watch as well.
My daughter went to many of the scheduled activities at the Cocoland Kids Club. It was mostly fun for her, the only disappointments being the times that activities were canceled due to lack of people signed up.
The pool bar was excellent - Stephanie, TC, Dillan and the rest kept us happy with great cocktails. They were also so nice to the kids.
The Beach Grille was great for lunch. The pizzas were very good, and Melee made great chicken sandwiches and burgers. My daughter loved the popcorn and chips and salsa.
We ate dinner at the buffet a few nights, mostly because the first night we were too tired, and another night I was too late making reservations. Not all of the restaurants are open every night so be sure to check the schedule. The best night at the buffet was Sunday, they had an excellent prime rib with au jus. They always had a pasta bar as well. We ate breakfast here daily. It is basic, but good. I loved the omelettes. The food was always being turned over, nothing sitting for very long in any of the trays. The staff was working very hard to fill water glasses and get you whatever you needed to drink.
We ate dinner at Calabash one night, which was excellent. We had steak and lamb. My daughter was able to get fries with her steak which was nice. the room was very pretty. We also ate at Silk one night and really enjoyed it. Kevan was a great waiter. We tried to go back to Calabash but as I said it was fully booked.
We also ate at the two theme nights. The country & western night was outstanding in the food department. The bbq was great, and the sides were as well. It was nice to sit outside on a breezy evening. The Caribbean night was less successful strangely, there wasn't a lot of things that anyone in my family enjoyed.
In response to rosie Silverstone - I was there that weekend that you were there. There was unfortunately a loud group that were in the room right next door to me. They made a LOT of noise all the time, and even banged on my door at 2:30 am mistakenly. Things quieted back down after that. It was mostly quiet except for those two nights. The upper floors have been refurbished at the splash side, and the lower floors are being scheduled to be re-done.
The reason I give this a 4 not a 5 is that it wasn't over-the-top great. It was very very good for a hotel in this category. One thing that would make my experience better would be if there was more attention paid to keeping the place clean. Every time I sat in the lobby there were empty cups, and rings from cups all over the tables. Not a deal-breaker, just not that great either. Also, the midgies. They would swarm around at dusk or when it was still and would bite. We never went out on our balcony because of them. We didn't want to let them into our room. As long as the breeze was blowing, which was about 90% of the time, it was fine. Also, while I have no problem with the fact that there's a shower not a bath, the shower curtain was not helpful in keeping the floor from becoming soaked. Maybe glass doors would be a better option. The lip of the shower isn't high enough to keep the curtain in.
The staff really do make this resort a fun place to be. We enjoyed talking to many of the staff, and they were always so nice to the kids. Thank you to Evan who really helped us out with some broken goggles!
We would love to return to Coconut Bay! My kids had such a great time meeting other kids from all over the world. It was a great experience for them.

Room Tip: Upper level has a beautiful view of the pool and ocean.
2 Thank spbos14
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I stayed here for one week and had a great time. My room, in the harmony section was clean and comfortable. It is slightly dated but kept up. The food was excellent. Chef P went out of his way to please us. We had one member of our family who could not have any fat or fried foods. He would go out of his way to make something that was perfect for her. The entertainment staff is wonderful! They try each day with different activities. My favorite was Samanfra. She sort me out all the time and made me laugh. I felt she was part of my family. The children's park was excellent for all the young kids. One part of this resort that I enjoyed was that it never seemed crowded. There was always chairs near the beach or pool. I didn't have to reserve chairs early in the morning. The only part that I didn't like was the beach. The water was rough since it is on the Atlantic side and the amount of seaweed that accumulated. They had to use bulldozers every morning to clear the way. All in all, it was a wonderful stay for me and my family. I thank all of the wonderful staff who were all pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: I would stay in the Harmony Section if you are all adults. The Splash section can be noisy at times...
1 Thank Antoinette L
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Antoinette,

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to make your stay with us a great one. We are happy that you enjoyed your dining experience and overall had a good time at Coconut Bay.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!