“Great scenery- Great price”

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vieux Fort
“Great scenery- Great price”
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Just home from a 7 night stay. My wife and I visited for our 20th wedding anniversary, and this was our first all-inclusive experience.
We were pleased with every part of Coconut Bay Resort. The second floor room was affordable and comfortable. The food was tasty and plentiful. Drinks were available for anyone 18 and older, only possible fault here is limited beer selection and you have to go to the bar for drinks, Only time drinks are brought to you are meal times. Overall, a solid value for travelers.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Hi Jon and thanks for your stay and your review. We appreciate your comments and are pleased you enjoyed your stay. St Lucia has one brewery and it produces 2 varieties of beer Piton and Heineken. We make every effort to support our local suppliers and community employment. That is why we carry these two brands of beer.

Thanks again for your stay and we hope to see you back soon!
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,680)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We have just come home from the Coconut Bay Resort and Spa and to say that we loved it is a dramatic understatement. There just are not enough great things to say about this place so. The rooms were great, spacious and super clean. The wonderful cleaning team came in daily, left us beautiful flowers and topped up our drinks. They were also very careful to appear when we were out enjoying ourselves.

The food ways fantastic. Everywhere from the buffet, to the twice weekly barbecues to the beach grill was extremely good. The a la Carte restaurants were especially good from the relaxed ambiance of Italian Capri to the taste of the Orient in Silks and last but absolutely not least to the our favourite restaurant The Calabash which served heavenly dishes that made you want to go back night after night. The great thing about all this is that you could go back every night if you wanted to (and believe me you would want to!) with no limits on the number of times you could visit the a la carte restaurants you could eat like Kings and Queens every night. The wonderfully relaxed and superbly accommodating staff were what really made the stay though. Every single member of staff we came into contact with was more than happy to give a cheery smile, help us if we needed it and join in with the fun if that was all that was wanted.

There are some notable people who made our trip so fantastic. Joel from the Entertainment team was awesome! Always up for a game of volley ball or water polo (don't get on the wrong side of him - he knows how to play!) he brought everyone together and we met some great people as a result, Sharma was always ready to mix our favourite cocktail (the Island Vibration is heaven in a glass!), Chris was always smiling and thoughtful about where we were seated, Denny at Capri (and barbecue nights)is fantastic and makes the food taste even better, Tyler always had a wonderful smile for us at breakfast and couldn't do enough to make sure we had a good start to the day and lastly - but by no means least, the joy that is Vernon! His Yoga classes pushed me to my limit (and sometimes beyond!) but in the most fantastic way, his Aqua fitness meant that I didn't die when I went back to the gym and his caring nature meant every member of the classes got just what they wanted from the class (even if that was just a giggle).

These people are the ones who stood out to us the most but there are so many others besides that I could go on all day. The atmosphere of the resort is relaxed in a wonderful way, you can choose if you want to be casual or dressy for dinner depending where you eat so there is the best of both worlds. The spa is beautiful and the massages were fantastic. The setting is fabulous, although not great for snorkelling but swimming and kayaking are great fun. Or you can just marvel at the Kite Boarders acrobatics from the beach bar.I almost wish that I didn't have to tell people how great Coconut Bay is because I am worried that we won't be able to get in next year!

Room Tip: For couples I would definitely go to the Harmony side. We were on the Splash side and the kids do t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca P
Hi Rebecca, thank you for your stay and your kind review...the team members you mentioned will be thrilled to receive your praise. They are a great team and work so hard everyday to ensure all of our guests have a wonderful holiday.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Saint Robert, Missouri
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The staff at Coconut Bay was among the friendliest we've ever encountered on any of the Caribbean Islands! Of the special restaurants, Calabash was our favorite. Ask for Fifi is you want the best waitress. Silk was our next favorite restaurant. The cuisine and service at the Italian Capri restaurant was great, too! We loved the pools and swim up bar! Even the buffet restaurant was full of great dishes and a big variety of choices. The cool island breeze felt great in the warm, humid days to cool you off. We toured the island with a taxi driver/guide named Elvis. He was fantastic and went out of his way to take us to extra sites not included in our tour. The only complaint about the resort would be the beach. The edge was always covered in sea grasses and the water was quite cold and rough. We were told it was because that was the Atlantic part of the island. The beaches on the west coast are Caribbean so are warmer and calmer. We loved our room on the 4th floor of the Harmony wing of the resort. The whole experience was relaxing and fun!

Room Tip: If you want privacy and quiet, choose the Harmony wing. The 4th floor Harmony suite came with lots o...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Susan, thank you for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us at Coconut Bay and hope that we can host you again very soon.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just got back from St. Lucia. June 14, 2014. Booked a trip thru Cheap Carribean trips. That was my first mistake. Cheap carribean trips is making a lot of money off people who book thru them. We missed our flight, and because of that we wound up paying almost double the price to get to our destination. I will NEVER use them again. The resort Coconut Bay was nice. However, the pictures on every website are very decieving! The description of the beach states it is a crystal clear white sand beach. WRONG.. Very rocky, not clear at all, and white beach? Try beige beach. If you are going specifically for the beach, dont stay here. The resort pics are also decieving. I do have to say the rooms are very clean, and the staff was great. Not much in the way of entertainment and the drinks are beyond weak. Food is great in Harmony area, but otherwise, bring your pepto bismal. I dont usually write reviews, but this trip... was not what we expected.

3 Thank Trish H
Dear Trish, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate all of our guests comments. It sounds like your trip started out on a bad foot with missing the flight. We apologize on behalf of Cheap Caribbean if they were less than helpful with your missed flight.
It is unfortunate that this experience soured your feeling about the resort. We encourage all of our future guests to look both at the website and the reviews (including guest photos) before booking. We stand behind everything we advertise and our food receives rave reviews daily. Food is often a personal taste issue and we apologize if we did not satisfy what you were looking for. We use fresh top grade ingredients in everything we prepare and the quality Is top notch...I will leave that determination to the hundreds of excellent food reviews we receive from our guests. I am sorry you missed the multiple nightly entertainment features as we have 7 live bands, 2 nights of Karaoke, 2 production shows, 5 nights of DJ dancing all in each week.
Again if there was something specific you would have liked to see we would love your input.
Our premium alcohol drinks are limitless and you can have as much alcohol as you can handle...If anyone's drink seems weak - ask for a top up! It's all inclusive!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I researched a spot for our family vacation that was kid friendly AND adult fun too. That's how i came across Coconut Bay in St. Lucia. Even some friends recommended it. So i looked it up. WOWWWW everything i looked at looked GREAT so i booked it. It's all inclusive and absolutely FABULOUS!!!!! It was 5 star from the moment we got there to the moment we left (which my 4 yr old cried all the way to airport when we left) AWESOME FOOD, BEAUTIFUL ROOM, GREAT SERVICE AND ALL AROUND GREAT PEOPLE!! We couldnt of been happier w my choice. My husband must've said 5 times how GREAT i did picking the vacation!! i HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this place. Kids welcome (several pools AND waterslides, lazy river and best of all the Kidz Club if you wanna little ADULT TIME . My 4 yr old LOVED IT!!!! We dropped her off and she didn';t wanna leave when we came back to pick her up!! If you want a great family vaca, THIS IS YOUR PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and you gotta do the exscursion on the catamaran up the west coast of island then to see waterfalls, volcano or mud baths!!!!

Room Tip: we were down on ground level by one of the pools. No noise no problems!!
3 Thank Liesl W
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Just returned from a week at Coconut Bay with myself (32), my husband (32), our 3 kids (9,2,1), my mother in law (50) and my sister in law (13).

AIRPORT: The Airport in Vieux Fort was great- very small and not many flights in and out which meant an easy, breezy transition into St Lucia. I also loved that they have a line in customs for families with children. Traveling with kids is hard enough so it was greatly appreciated to see this after 2 long flights with 3 kids. After getting through customs we made our way to the Coconut Bay kiosk where we were immediately loaded into a van and taken on the very short drive to the resort. People aren't kidding when they say this resort is literally right next to the airport- which is a blessing and actually pretty cool as you get to watch the 3-5 planes take off over the ocean every afternoon. Very cool!

CHECK-IN: we were greeted with champagne and punch as we stepped out of the van. The lobby (which has apparently been recently renovated) is gorgeous and very welcoming! A smiling friendly face waved me over to the front desk to check us in. The girls at the front desk were always very sweet and helpful. Our room wasn't ready so we were told to get something to eat and check back in 15 minutes. We walked around and explored the grounds, grabbed a quick bite and 15 minutes later we were on our way to our room.

OUR ROOM: we booked a premium ocean view room on the 4th floor of the Splash side- we were assigned room 421 which had a nice ocean view from the balcony and beautiful mountain views from the hallway. The room looked just like the pictures online so I knew what to expect. It wasn't as clean as I expected, though, as there was dirt swept under the bed and there was dirt and sand on the trundle bed. The closets were spacious and the room safe was just big enough for all we needed to put in it (a few iPads, wallets, passports, phones). The balcony was nice but the chairs on our balcony were small, old and weren't comfortable to relax on so we never used the balcony like we planned. Other rooms had better chairs on their balconies and patios (my mother in law stayed on the ground floor and had great patio chairs) so it didn't make sense to me since we were in a more expensive room. My biggest disappointment was the bathrooms. The tile was incredibly slippery when it gets even a drop of moisture (the babies slipped and fell multiple times) but what really left me disappointed is the fact that there is no bathtub- only a shower stall. This won't effect everyone- but since I had a 1 year old and a special needs 2 year old who only take baths at home, this was problematic. I had to basically hose them down in the shower which led to lots and lots of screaming and crying and left my husband and I beyond frustrated. Most nights we just bypassed the whole shower thing for them because it just wasn't worth the aggravation. Dirty kids FTW! Because we were in a top level room, our fridge was stocked daily with waters, sodas, and beers. My mother in law had a garden view room and just got waters in her fridge.

RESORT: this is really a great property overall. I didn't fall completely in love with it at first, but it definitely grew on me. Not too big, not too small. Beautiful views in every direction, clean, attractive landscaping, nice beach, (mostly) friendly staff, great pools, fun water park, etc.

BEACH: although it isn't the super calm crystal blue water that most Caribbean islands have, it was still a great beach. Yes the water was more "active" but I wouldn't even call them waves and it was very swimmable, clear, beautiful and warm. I swam in it every day and never had any issues. This area has lots of turtle grass naturally, but the resort literally cleaned up the turtle grass constantly every single day which is really all they can do when it comes to something that naturally occurs. I never had an issue finding a seat on the beach when I wanted to. They have snorkel equipment available but we never saw much of anything off the beach of the resort. We tried paddle boarding and kayaking which were fun. Linus at the water sport shack was always very friendly. The beach has plenty of shade from Palm trees. I'd rate the beach a 7 out of 10. Not the best- but still very enjoyable.

POOLS: the main pool is very nice- there is a zero-entry end which was popular with the young kids. It is kept very clean and looks beautiful when lit up at night. It was, however, the coldest of all the pools. It would've been nice if it was heated. There is a small pool surrounded by the lazy river was perfectly warm! I didn't go in them, but the activity pool looked nice and the adult only pool was small but it never looked crowded. The water park was fun- there are 3 water slides and a lazy river. The lazy river is always opened but I thought the water slides closed too early. Absolutely loved that there is no "towel games" going on here unlike other resorts we've been to. It was so nice to not have to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve a chair. No matter what time of day there were always plenty of chairs available in either the sun or shade. I hope it stays that way!

FOOD: the food is definitely some of the best quality we've had at an all-inclusive. It's easy to see that the chefs take pride in their food. We mostly ate at the buffet, which was always great -clean, plenty of variety, fresh, friendly staff, etc. The beach grill was great too- awesome pork sandwich! We ate at Silk on the night of my son' birthday. We arrived and they had a table decorated for us. It was a nice surprise (although they knew we were there to celebrate a birthday because I had pre-ordered a cake through guest relations). The food was delicious but I couldn't shake the feeling that our waitress seemed annoyed by us because we had babies and children in our group. When it was time for dessert, about 4 servers came out singing "Happy Birthday" with the cake and a lit candle. The cake was really delicious- much better than I expected! They wrapped up whatever cake we hadn't finished in Saran Wrap so we could take it back to our room. We also ate at Capri. The food was just ok. But the service we experienced there was extraordinary: my husband asked for the lava cake for dessert. The waiter came back and said he was sorry but that they had just given out their very last one. He offered some alternatives but my husband passed on them saying that was the only one he was interested in, but that it was ok that they didn't have anymore. It was then that the waiter said he'd be right back and went and arranged for one to be made for him at one of the other specialty restaurants and personally walked to get it and came back to deliver it to my husband. We were so impressed by how eager he was to please. Customer service at its finest (and my husband said the cake was delicious!). The theme nights offered great food with great entertainment. The best food was Country Western night when two chefs battle out who made the best BBQ. And the best night of entertainment is Caribbean night.

ENTERTAINMENT: this was hit or miss. Children aren't allowed into the late night bar upstairs so we were at the mercy of the lobby entertainment- which for the most part was pretty great! Awesome local musicians and performers- we loved it! Problem was that it was inconsistent as far as time. Some nights it ended waaaay too early and left us no other option than to go back to the room for an early night to bed. But on nights which it went on later (until 10:30-11pm) it was a lot of fun for both kids and adults. Family karaoke night was fun- but we thought that ended too early as well. I would suggest extending family friendly entertainment until at least 10:30-11pm each evening.

KIDS CLUB: overall pretty good with some improvement needed. The girls that work there are very friendly. The splash pad is awesome! I love that they have that instead of a traditional baby pool. BUT it doesn't offer any shade from the sun so I would suggest they get maybe 1 or 2 of those shade sails to allow the kids to still have a blast without getting pounded by the St Lucian sun. When you register your child, each kid gets their own bag, baseball hat and water bottle to keep for their own. You use this throughout your stay to keep your child's belongings in. I thought this was a really nice touch. I brought my two youngest (2 and 1) there daily for a few hours off and on. My 2 year old is a special needs child and they were great with her! I do wish they had brought a playpen into the main room for my one year old to play in safely while other kids were playing with small object like Legos. I would have felt much more comfortable that way. Or if they had an age specific area for smaller tots, as that age group didn't seem to be their strong suit. It seems best set up for 2.5-6 year olds so I do think their approach with small babies and younger toddlers needs to be revised. They had a nap room which was cute but I didn't love the fact that there wasn't always someone in the room when a baby was in there napping. Instead they would just peak on the baby every few minutes though a window. Again- I didn't love this. I would also suggest a stone path from the back gate to the concrete path towards the rooms so barefoot people don't have to walk on the rough grass. They do offer the use of loaner cell phones- which I thought was great! You just sign it out at the beginning of the day and it's free as long as you return it undamaged. This gave me peace of mind knowing they could easily contact me if they needed me for my children. Another great touch!

BARS/DRINKS: my husband, mother in law and myself all agreed that the drinks were inconsistent. Some bartenders were great, others weren't. Our least favorite bar for both service and drink quality was the swim-up pool bar. No two drinks were ever the same, service was slow, some bartenders had attitude, etc. I was actually told "NO" when I requested a drink at this bar once (and It wasn't in a joking manner) for no other reason than the bartender didn't want to make the drink I requested. The lobby bar was pretty good. Peter johns lounge had the best drinks but since we had kids with us we had to go up there in shifts and bring the drinks down to the lobby where we could be with the kids.

MISC: Couples massage at the spa was wonderful. We booked the private tour of Soufrierre (sp?) through the tour desk and it was great. We saw all we wanted to see on our own schedule which was nice with small children in tow. Highly recommended! The rubber duck race on Wednesday was awesome! So much fun and for a good cause! I would suggest doing that twice a week instead of once a week because it was that much fun!

Overall, it was a great family vacation, especially for the price. We do hope to return and bring back more family members and look forward to seeing what improvements are made between now and then, as it's obvious they are looking to just get better and better.

Room Tip: Having stayed on the 4th floor, if I were to go back I would stay on the ground floor so I don't...
4 Thank Traybagz
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 15, 2014

After traveling to a dozen or so, beach resorts/destinations I can gladly say, that the coconut bay resort is by far the best…from staff, beaches, location, food, and did I mention the staff? They were top notch! And all made our stay even better than we had imagined. There was entertainment, daily activates, tours and water sports…..Everything Is right there! In a nut shell I would defiantly recommend Coconut Bay resort to couples, honeymooners and families! We’ll definitely go back as soon as possible

Room Tip: We were in the Harmony side (adults only) Fourth floor...Perfect! Even the room service was great...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 12 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,076 reviews

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!