“Great Place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

Check-In: Was very was very quick. Greeted with a glass of Champagne (cheap stuff lol). They took from the taxi and took them up to our rooms. We were told where everything was and everything was fast.

Room: The first room we were allocated was on the north block on the 2nd floor and number 330. This room was very damp but very clean and decorated. But the sheets were damp the floor was slippery and our clothes got damp. After that evening meal there was no change so we told reception and the manager moved us that night onto the 1st floor room 232. Which was lovely, apart from that no other worrys.

Resturants: There is 1 main buffet resturant which serves breakfast lunch & dinner. Then theres the 2 a la carte resturants which we didnt go to so cannot really comment. Also there was a snack bar open till 1am in the morning. Buffet food was good with plenty of fresh fruit & salad. And there was always different selection. Theres also a kids corner with a lower table for them to help them selves to childs selections, which the adults always tended to go and clear it out so there was none left for the kids. As soon as your seated your asked if you want a drink from the bar which takes about 5 minutes 2 arrive. Also theres to theme nights on a Tuesday night its Pirates night which is excellent fun where everyone sits in the lobby for dinner. Also on a Satuday its Carribeian night which is excellent.

Pools: Theres is 4 pools but one is for adults only. Theres a swim-up bar which is very handy. Also theres a hot Jacuzzi & a lazy river with rubber rings just to relax and let it take you around. If you fancy a bit of fun theres 2 slides which are fun but very exhausting to keep running up and down.

Beach: The beach we didnt really sit on because it was windy and alot of seaweed but this was cleared daily.

Staff: The staff were excellent and very friendly always there to help. Big shout out to "Crazy Charlie" & "Big Ted" always up for a laugh. All staff are wonderful.

Entertainement: There was always nightly entertainment which was very good. There were bands playing , talent shows & also karoke. There is also daily entertainement to get involved in with a mixture of things to do. Water arobics etc.

Other usfull information: I will warn you, you will get eating a live over there by mosquitos (not literally but you do get a few). We took all different things but nothing seemed to work just dont scratch them. Also there is local schools in about 3/4 times a week. We were not informed about this when we booked through Virgin. But it does get annoying.

Overall: Was a great holiday and would return. Any questions please contact me.

• Liked — You felt safe & the fact its 5 minutes from the airport.
  • Disliked — Local schools using facilties on trips.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Jade1994

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,647)
Western Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2008

My husband and I spent 8 days at CBay Resort to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and it was a wonderful trip! We'll certainly plan to return to this resort.

I was slightly concerned about negative reviews before we went but the positives far outweighed the negatives. We discovered for ourselves that CBay was a delight! We went for a good time and that's what we had...it wasn't perfect but it sure was good! Yes, the shower temperature fluxuates but we figured out how to make it work after a couple of days. I couldn't help but feel many of the complaints were from folks that were looking for something to gritch about.

We were very happy with the staff. We had a couples massage on the beach for our wedding anniversary and it was fantastic! We spread out our trips around the island, alternating with relaxing days at the beautiful beach. We swam in the ocean several times and enjoyed it very much. I would recommend taking something for motion sickness prior to any long trips as I don't think there is a mile of straight road anywhere on the island! (she smiles) We took the shopping tour, the Land and Sea tour and the Sunset Cruise. It was a nice variety and allowed plenty of time to just relax.

The rooms were fine - nothing fancy but we didn't travel to St. Lucia to sit in our room. They were clean, which was my first priority, and comfortable. The food was good - we ate at the pool grill several lunches and a few times for lunch at the Coconut Walk. Most evenings we ate at either Silk (very good) or Bellagio (extremely good) (try the Pumpkin Ravioli if available, AWESOME).

Truly, we were extremely happy with our trip and would be very glad to return to this resort!

• Liked — The ocean, the beach, the excellent service
  • Disliked — fluxuating shower temperatures, distance from most of the shopping
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank PVJV
Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary by spending a week at Coconut Bay Resort. We had a really great time and did not want to leave. The food was wonderful, staff was really friendly and helpful, the pools were lots of fun and the beach was a picture of serenity. Children would have the time of their life in the pools, slides and lazy river. There are also other activities such as videogames and movies at night for their entertainment. Adults enjoy a time away lounging in hammocks and outdoor cabanas. It was a week well spent. We would definitely return to this hotel in future.

• Liked — The wide variety of activities present during the day and night
  • Disliked — Location away from the regional airport in the Capital of St. Lucia
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RGhany
Ridgefield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

I wish that we would have taken the time to use this website before we trusted our incompetent travel agent. We just returned from a week at the Coconut Bay Resort in beautiful St. Lucia, and sadly, were quite disappointed. I will try to give you the pros and cons and then you can make up your mind...

Let's start with the PROS...First of all, this resort was definitely a very family friendly palce to stay. If you are honeymooning, I would not recommend it. Everywhere you went there were families! Perfect for us, because we have a 7, 6 and 4 year old. They LOVED the water park, lazy river, pools, and Kids Club was fabulous. Also, I must say that I thought the food was very good! I was pleasantly surprised with the variety at the Coconut Walk Buffet. My kids loved the breakfast. We usually ate dinner at one of the two restaurants (remember to make reservations the day before) and they were excellent. Our favorite was Bellagio, the Italian, but Silk (the Asian one) was also fabulous. Let's see, more pros...for us, this was one of the only places we know of where a family with three children can have 2 completely seperate bedrooms for the same price. We had the family connecting rooms, and it was awesome. My husband and I enjoyed having privacy, romance, and more time alone. Finally, I will tell you that this resort is only about a 3 minute van ride from the airport! Wonderful when you have been on a plane with three small kids for 4 hours.

Now for the CONS...The Beach is terrible. If you are going to the Caribbean for clear, calm, blue green water you will be sorely disappointed, as we were. The resorts' website does not mention this, and our travel agent failed to tell us, but this facility is on the Atlantic Ocean side of the Island, not the Carribean. The beach was ugly, with seaweed everywhere. The water was brown, cold, and way too rough to play in. It was so windy along the beach, that my kids begged us to not go there. We stayed up by the pools and water park the entire time.

Another negative, is that we found the staff to be overall quite rude. They seemed to be a bit put off by Americans, in general, and were not overly helpful. Even the bartenders were not very friendly. It was pretty disappointing.

Finally, we were very upset being there over the weekend, because this resort charges a "day rate" to locals to come and eat, drink, and use the waterpark and pools. consequently, the resort tripled in number of guests on Saturday and Sunday, and the lines to get food in the restaurants were so long, that my kids had major meltdowns. The water park was crowded and packed with local teenagers (I could write a whole other review just on this topic...) and it was hard to enjoy it as a family. During the week, the resort did not feel crowded at all, and had a very peaceful and relaxing feel to it.

So....there you have it. The good and the bad. Would I go back? Certainly not. Did I enjoy myself? Yes, I did. It was still beautiful, relaxing and great to get away with my family. Hope this helps you decide. If we did got back to St. Lucia, we would certainly stay on the other side of the island. Good luck and enjoy your trip!!!!

• Liked — Great food, great resort for families with kids
  • Disliked — Terrible beach, rude staff
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ScrumperMom
Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

My family consisting of my husband, son (9 years), daughter (11months) and I stayed at Coconut Bay from 07th July - 14th July 2008. This was the greatest vacation we ever experienced. Forget all the bad reviews that you have been reading.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted with champagne and a non alcoholic drink for my son. This was very refreshing since we had to endure a 1hr plus drive from Castries. We were immediately directed to our room and given an invitation to the Manager's Cocktail held on that same day.

The food was excellent at all three restaurants. The restaurants being Italian and Asian which you must make reservations for the day before and only serves dinner and then there's COCONUT WALK, the restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet style, we ate there most of the time.
Both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks were great. They had nice island names , with the non-alcoholic drinks carrying names of cartoon characters(don't worry, adults can have them too, I would know), please try Bob The Builder.

Coconut Bay is perfect for children. My son was constantantly busy. There's an arcade that he made the most of, table tennis which we all played, the water slides and the lazy river we could not get enough of, I like the idea of having a jacuzzi built into the pool, the hot tub was great. We were so busy that I did not get to play water volley ball.

There is nightly entertainment my highlight being Pirates Night and Karaoke Night.

The hotel was kept clean at all times and the staff worked hard at ensuring that happened.

We booked a half day tour at the hotel and the taxi picked us up there. Our tour guide was Dane and he really does know his country, very pleasant guy. We got the opportunity to see the
volcano and the Diamond Waterfall which is in the Botanical Gardens.

Last but not least the Staff get 100% for service, they made sure that we were comfortable and well taken care of at all times. Each staff member had a smile to offer, they never seemed, tired
even if they worked a double shift, they were never grumpy or upset. I must say that the staff is Coconut Bay's greatest asset.
Special mention to Germain at the front desk who greeted us when we checked in, she was constantly making sure that we were having a great time.

We would definitely go to Coconut Bay again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank cmbailey
Johnstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

Just returned from Cbay and now having spent time at both ends of the island thought I would share my thoughts on this location.

Transfers. very close to airport so no need to worry re travel sickness etc
Location. The property sits on a huge area and is well laid out and easy to get around, the beach does suffer from seaweed but the hotel does its best to keep this managed with daily raking of the sand...a short walk in either direction brings you to some stunning and deserted beaches so go explore. Easy drive to Castries and any where else for that matter, I hired a jeep and headed to Castries going up the East coast through Micoud etc and then travelled back down the West through Soufriere etc. Roads have been greatly improved in the last two years
Rooms. A bit dated but clean, functional and well air conditioned and the housekeeping staff do a good job of servicing the rooms.
Food. Simply you wont go hungry. the snack bar is handy for a quick bite but the coconut walk buffet was always great, Bellagio very good and Silks also very good...only criticism is the family dining times are too early and you find yourself rushing.
Pools. numerous pools all well maintained and good safe depth for most kids, lazy river and slides great fun and well supervised by the staff, plenty of toys left behind by other so dont bother taking your own.
Entertainment. Got a bit samey after a while but they all tried hard...the pirates night and carribean buffet night probably best two night.
While we were there they seemed to take delivery of new equipment and a few days before departing they had a candy floss machine, popcorn machine and hot nachos all up and running.
To sum up we had a good two weeks but i feel for the extra travelling time and increase in cost I would probably head back towards the North if i was to revisit the island.
feel free to email me via tripadvisor if you have any questions.

• Liked — transfer time
  • Disliked — bit too isolated for other dining options outwith hotel
5 Thank PMACCA
Cornwall,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

Stayed at Coconut Bay for a week at end of June before going on to Grenada.

Good stuff--
Staff are excellent, very friendly and helpful,They are the biggest asset of Coconut Bay.

Food and drinks all good. Loved Silks,the asian restaurant. Don't forget to book the day before you want to go. Kids over 12 can eat any time, under 12 have to be before 6.30. Seems to work quite well. Cocktails are great, they will make anything and nothing is too much trouble. See Crazy Charlie and the rest for great drinks.

Pools are varied and interesting,something for everyone.Easy to get away from the kids if you want to. Loads of space,though not so much shade.

Transfer from airport less than 5 mins,but no bother from aircraft noise. After long flight and an hour and a half getting thru airport chaos, the short transfer was brilliant --most other people had 1.5 hour transfer to other resorts on bendy roads. Greeted with champagne and rooms were ready.It was a very pleasant introduction.

Not so good--

Beach, which i knew was on Atlantic, but was very breezy,so you couldn't really sit on it as sand blew into drinks and eyes etc,and was just too breezy to enjoy. But move back to the pool area and it was fine.There was as a result quite a lot of sand in the main pool which did cloud it a bit. Seaweed not really a problem as it was raked regularly,and you only had to walk along a bit to find clear water. Water is warm but its definitely not the Carribean.

Accomadation blocks are a bit tired in places and need some maintainance,though room interior was fine.

Duty free from on site shop--beware. They deliver it to the airport,you are not allowed to take it with you from the hotel. Only problem--it wasn't at the airport when we got there. The customs people said 'oh no, not Coconut Bay again' Anyway it turned up about 30mins before the flight,and then i had to go back to check in and retreive bags as i wasn't allowed to carry it as hand luggage. Far too much hassle for a bottle of rum. Buy it at the airport ,much simpler.

Overall it was a good stay, but the second week inGrenada was better. St Lucia is a beautiful place,and Coconut Bay has a lot going for it,especially if you have smaller kids, but its location means its not a true Carribean experience,but as long as you are aware of this, you will really enjoy your stay.

• Liked — staff and food
  • Disliked — beach
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,003 reviews

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!