“Great stay, with few bad experiences.”

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Nausori, Central, Fiji
“Great stay, with few bad experiences.”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Me & my newlywed wife was referred to this destination by our travel agency as a honeymoon destination. It took us a little time to appreciate what the resort was offering, since I think our expectations were that of a hotel where most of the amenities would be first class and up to international standards, but as time progressed we began to appreciate the resort for the local, and Caribbean theme that it was offering to visitors...and once it dawned on us..that was when our great experience began..we stopped looking at it as Hyatt and began treating it like the caribbean getaway that it was. The people are generally very friendly, and the all-inclusive package is one that I would recommend to everyone,with this package you literally just sit back and indulge in everything that the "resort has to offer"-we really enjoyed the Beach Grill Restaurant. There was entertainment almost every night, not to mention reservations to be made at the three restaurants the resort sponsored. I would recommend the Harmony side of Coconur bay to any couple that is looking for a romantic getaway, because the peace and serenity it offers from the lovely and expansive garden oasis that surrounds- the guests of harmony-especially if you're staying at the groundfloor, where all it takes is for you to slide open your porch door to be swept off your feet, by that garden of eden experience. The only downside to our stay was the way that we were treated at the cocktail bar at the swim up pools & at the creole restaurant. I don't know if it's the resort's policy to give people of a certain skin complexion "preference over others, but a guy named "Jimmy" at the cocktail bar sure made it seem so. I called for his attention to tell me the time, and he made it very clear before I could get two words out, that he was attending to a guest-who was white-, after he was done, very sheepishly and with much attitude, he gave me his attention, only to find out I wanted the time. Then I decided I wanted a drink, and had no worries of anyone getting preference over my order since it was clear Jimmy served on a "first come, first serve basis..right?" WRONG!!! a guy came and ordered something right as Jimmy was taking my order, and the way that he spun his neck around to tend to this guy-of a certain complexion- I could have sworn he got whiplash. Here was Jimmy contradicting his own modus operandi. The moral of the story here is Jimmy, regardless of color, you're supposed to treat "all your" guests with the same great service. I don't think I have enough time to tell of my experience with a waitress at the Creole Restaurant, but believe it or not, it was worst than the encounter with Jimmy. Regardless, most of our stay was very nice and memorable (in a good way) and I would recommend this Resort to everyone, and the hospitality shown to us by most of the staff was great..but Jimmy & his friends need to learn a few things about customer service.

Room Tip: Try the Harmony side of cocunut bay, ground floor. Waiting outside your porch doors is a lovely spre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David F
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear David F...thank you for posting your review about your stay and congratulations to you and your new bride. I am glad the charm of Coconut Bay won you over. Your review about our Caribbean hospitality was a perfect description of what Coconut Bay provides all of our guests. I am concerned and apologetic over your comments regarding Jimmy our bartender. This behaviour is not indicitive of our standards or our beliefs here at the resort and this behaviour is not typical Jimmy who has won several Customer Service awards in his short tenure with us. On behalf of the team here I apologize if you were made to feel anything less than the most important guest at the time and I will be sure to sensitize Jimmy and the team as to perception being reality.

Thank you for your wonderful comments and we'd love to see you again.

Enjoy married life!

Cheers
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,723)
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed at the resort for a week. great location, close to the airport. the grounds are beautiful and the beach is clean. the people are so friendly and always smiling! the week we were there a tropical storm came through and closed everything. you would have never known. the entertainment staff kept everyone busy and amused. free wifi in the lobby and good food. the only disappointment was of the 3 restaurants that required reservations, we could only enjoy one. the other two required kids to wear pants. my 11 and 14 year old boys did not have any, therefore we were not allowed to dine there. I would suggest a little more entertainment throughout the day and maybe nightly shows. I have been to a few other resorts that had amazing nightly shows. this resort is a bit smaller and a little more on the quiet side. it is also spilt one side for families with kids and the other for adults only. I will end this with a HUGE shout out to the bartenders!!! mainly AKON, MITCH, HONEY AND SKEETE!! they were very friendly, always smiling and
laughing, and having a great
time with the guests! no matter if they were serving a child or an adult beverage, they were happy doing so. I didn't even have to order, they knew exactly what I wanted!! ;) I would come back just for them alone!!

• Stayed July 2013
UK
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed in Coconut Bay for 10 nights in July (went with a friend, stayed on the splash side)
What an amazing holiday! I did not want to leave!

Such a beautiful place with beautiful people, the staff were so welcoming and friendly, I HAVE to mention a few of the bar staff: Jade, Wade & The Joker, then the pool bar staff: Skeet & Mitch, such nice people! Had lots of laughs and entertainment from these guys! :) They were the icing on the cake!

There are several pools and bars to choose from and the hotel covers quite a large area of land, there's lots to do and see so you will never get bored, I didn't manage to read one page from my book! There are also lots of secluded quiet areas to relax in peace on a hammock, it really is perfect :)

There was evening entertainment every night, I especially loved the reggae band and bonfire on the beach, and the dinner under the stars evening :) it might sound romantic, and there are a lot of honeymoon, wedding, anniversary couples staying there but also families, friends, groups, airline crew... so it suits everyone!

And the fooooood oh wow, so tasty that I ended up eating 3 meals a day! Could not get enough of it, it was mainly Caribbean and American dishes, it was so delicious in the main restaurant that I didn't bother to make a booking for the fine dining restaurants! And so much variety, different choices every day so it didn't get boring....

Before my holiday I read a lot of negative reviews and was sceptical about the place, don't believe everything you read, you should find out for yourself!
I have never been on a holiday and not wanted to leave, I am always ready to go home after a week and get easily bored! This says a lot to me! I am even considering going back next year, and I never go to the same destination twice! :o

If you do decide to go to Coconut Bay I'm you won't regret it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Louise D
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Ok I won't be too long. This place is not the best in terms of infrastructure or friendly management. The building is old but that's cool because we only sleep and change in the room. The general manager and ed trinidad are too arrogant really can't take them on, but the staff! 2 thubs up. They rock!! The bar staff are tremendous. We met with AKON at the adult bar for a day it was awesome! He has so many jokes and tricks up his sleeves. Ask him to show u the tequilla joke and the straw trick we actually spent the rest of our time in the pool bar where he worked and we met with skeete and mitch great lads but got nothing on akon.I would recommend this hotel because of the staff especially mr akon.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Just got back from Coconut Bay (2nd Aug 2013) Wow the hotel really is only a couple of minutes from the airport (that is an advantage not a disadvantage) could not fault our holiday we had a truly amazing time but got to say that is largely due to the St Lucians who are just totally fab such a friendly bunch from the beach sellers through to the maids, barman could not fault any of them excellent - our room on harmony was great and the air con was just what you needed and could not be without in the July heat - pools were great something for everyone and always clean and lots of space to move about - food was very good but go to say the Calabash was something else you must eat there if you visit truly fab food - I could go on and on with our review but really all that needs to be said is that we were not disappointed we would go back in a heartbeat (and most likely will next year or year after) a truly relaxing holiday for all ages and full marks to Coconut Bay Resort and Spa

1 Thank Beseech
Trinidad
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I visited coconut bay resort for my brothers wedding I stayed for 2 nights 3 days. We stayed on fourth floor on the Slash Side the room was wonderful with a great view of pool and the ocean from our balcony it was breathtaking. My 2 year old could not wait to experience the pool and the water slides was amazing. The swim up bar was great wit lots if options on non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks the staff was pleasant and very helpful to our needs. There are 5 restaurants to choose fir dining but reservations has to be made, the main buffet food was good it lots of options to choose from, breakfast there was marvelous with all there fresh fruits and juices to choose from and a great omlets maker she was wonderful, the surrounds was very clean the lobby was comfy and cosy wit lots of activities to do it was never a dull night at the resort. The wedding part was just the best beach wedding ever the hotel took care of everything decorations the cake everything and it was like a fairy tale the staff did an extremely wonderful job, would recommend anyone to have a wedding there just perfect. My time stayed was great and were planning a girls lime to come there again would defiantly keep coming back to Coconut Bay Resort, wonderful experience

1 Thank Candyjam2013
Ridgeley, West Virginia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

If you are a healthy adult at least potentially interested in watersports, my strongest advice to you is to book your vacation elsewhere. I have made eight trips to all-inclusive Caribbean resorts over the last 26 years, and in my experience none rank worse for the watersports than Coconut Bay. You do not know what you are missing unless you have spent time at a more inclusive all-inclusive resort with a more amenable waterfront. Do not deny yourself the joy of unlimited sailing, paddleboarding, and resort-run excursions for snorkeling. This is the Caribbean: make the most of your exposure to such uniquely beautiful water and wind. Do not spend thousands of dollars here to get pretty much the experience you could get elsewhere, but lacking the watersports.

I was concerned about the lack of breadth of watersports suggested by Coconut Bay's profile on TripAdvisor, but shame on me for not researching more thoroughly this aspect of my vacation I care so dearly about. I had my travel agent make a call to verify I could windsurf. "Yes, they have that available, but you'll have to pay extra for it." I didn't even trust that advice, so I had my wife make an additional call to confirm. "My husband will be bored if he can't access watersports equipment like sailboats and windsurfing boards. Are those available?" "Not sailing, but we have windsurfing and kite surfing. You'll pay extra." So, I'm not as happy about that as having it included, but I can just recalibrate what I'm expecting to pay for a good vacation. Coconut Bay's equipment rental rates, by the way, are outrageously expensive compared to value of 'free' equipment many other resorts will include in their package. You're still paying for it elsewhere, of course, but it remains soothingly hidden by their comprehensive all-inclusive rates.

No one at Coconut Bay warned us they have an off season for watersports. If you do your homework, they mention the off season on their web site. I've never encountered an off season for water sports at any other Caribbean resort, and I've ALWAYS come in the June through August 'off season.' For this trip, I arrived in late July and stayed through August 5th. When I inquired about renting a sailboard, all their equipment had already been packed away. They weren't willing to set something up to accomodate my request, even though they were still on duty until the final day of my vacation. It was not clear whether the official last day of their season was the sunday before my arrival or the sunday before my departure. We were told all of their paddleboards were broken and being sent off for repair.

In the meantime, a lot of French/ European guests had brought their own kite surfing equipment and at least a half-dozen kiters were having a fantastic time out there. Not only was I denied access to any equipment, I had to watch the French having 10 times more fun than I was. This certainly added to my frustration.

Otherwise, what can you expect here as water sports? They have four sea kayaks to be shared between a couple hundred guests. I enjoyed these and spent at least an hour a day paddling, but that's all that was available. On a few occasions I got tired of waiting for a kayak to become available and I went to the resort's gym to work out my frustrations. (The gym is pretty well equipped for the Caribbean, but half the air conditioning units were broken and it was pretty hot.) The kayaks often aren't put on the beach until 10 to 11 am. For most of our week you could borrow snorkel masks and snorkels, but not fins. This beach faces the Atlantic side and has strong winds and a lot of waves. It is not particularly good conditions for snorkeling, especially without fins. Frankly, it's not even good for beginners to learn windsurfing or sailing due to the minefields of shallow reefs and significant waves. Nearly every other resort I have stayed at has better reefs, water depths, and varieties of fish than this part of St. Lucia. (Only Aruba was worse for snorkeling, since its coastline lacked reefs near that particular resort. It had the best sailing and windsurfing conditions as compensation.) Somehow swim fins showed up on our last day, as soon as the regular watersports guys left for their vacations.

The watersports attendant who issued vests and masks spent his entire shift staring at his cell phone. I witnessed another guest get her kayak stuck up against the rocks of a breakwater within sight of his shack, and he never noticed her problem. I had to help her transfer the kayak over the rocks to the downwind side to get her on her way again. The staff is not attentive or watching out for you. This guy doesn't even help you drag the kayaks out to the water. Most resorts have a barrel full of soapy disinfectant for dunking used life vests and snorkels. You won't get that courtesy here. You're sharing the sweat and the spit of other guests unless you wash it out yourself.

Other disapppointments:

We were disappointed with the limited snorkeling off the beach, so we signed up for an off-site boat tour including snorkeling near the Pitons. We set our alarms for 6AM and rushed to get through breakfast, and were ready for the 8AM departure time. There was no one working at the activities desk yet and no transport waiting. What gives? Oh, sorry, not enough other people signed up so the trip is canceled. A competent and caring place would have called us the evening before to let us know. We felt stood up, and I really detest having to set an alarm while on vacation. We never got another opportunity to try again.

Most people wouldn't care about this, but the bartenders can't make a drink consistently. You shouldn't care too much about it either, but I ran an interesting experiment. I ordered a drink called a T.K.O. two or three times a day during my stay. When it is done well, it is a limey rum drink with an odd muddy green color and a chunk of real lime squeezed in. Done wrong, it ranges from red and candy sweet to orange and simply bitter. At least three bartenders were looking to a reference board for the ingredients although a T.K.O. is a featured drink on their suggestions board. More than half the time no lime was included. If they lack ingredients I'd rather be told the drink is not available than to get an an unbalanced concoction. I just kept ordering this mediocre drink out of morbid curiosity to see what I'd get.

Beach quality: festooned with sea grass, occasionally spotted with horse manure since entrepreneurs rent horseback rides on the beach. You'll see a massive green tractor dragging a rake around several times a day trying to keep up. Every other beach I've seen in the Carribean has better sand. Most have fewer rocks underfoot as well, and safer swimming areas with lower waves.

Teens: We brought our own, daughters aged 13 and 16. We wanted a resort big enough that they'd find peers to adventure with. We acknowledge that teens aren't necessarily keen on hanging out with their parents. The girls were bored stiff until the third day when they met a couple of teens from the UK. A significant proportion of the guests are french-speaking, and although I'm bilingual, that doesn't help my kids. The language barrier means fewer opportunities to mingle with other guests. Most children were pre-teen. My kids got more enjoyment out of meeting the brits than anything the resort itself provided. I think we got lucky in who they eventually met.

No place is all bad, and those willing to ignore ocean-oriented water adventures entirely may be quite happy at Coconut Bay. Positives about this resort:

- No motorized watersports, so it is a relatively quiet beach. If you want to jet ski, water ski, take a ride offshore to a reef for snorkeling, go paragliding, ride a banana float or wakeboard, etc., you must go elsewhere. If you don't like the drone of motors, this is the place, except for the beach-cleaning tractor and the planes from the nearby airport. (Say you get in trouble on your kayak and need help. There's also no motorboat available to rescue you.)

- Not much other development in the area. This beachfront is huge and there are no resorts to either side. It has good views to the side, up and down the beachfront, and across the water to the adjacent islands. There are some handicrafts vendors but they're rarely as persistent as at some other resorts.

- Good pools, especially if you have small kids to watch over. Most guests were not looking for ocean-oriented adventure like I was. This resort is as good as any other if your prioritiy is sitting on your butt all day. It is better equipped than most other Caribbean resorts if you like the idea of the lazy river pool and the water slides. It's what you're going to need to take advantage of if the ocean isn't what draws you to the Caribbean. Most US water parks still blow this away. Be warned that every Do Not ... sign I saw was violated by some other guest at some point. This included carrying glass into the pool, dropping food into the pool, watching young kids risk cripping injuries by diving into 3-foot deep areas, smoking where prohibited - absolutely nothing is enforced. Some people like that.

- Calabash is a good restaurant. I recommend trying to book every meal there until you've memorized its menu. The alternatives are adequate and on par with most other Caribbean resort hotels.

- Most staff was very pleasant. Whoever we worked with at the front desk areas, whether calling to confirm watersports or scheduling the side tour, seemed barely competent considering how badly those experiences turned out. The ladies at the bar or waiting tables were almost always attentive and cheerful. The male bartenders weren't as likely to give you attention or get your drinks right, but at least they were having a good time.

Room Tip: Second floor or higher rooms have a balcony with a railing. It is easier to dry your bathing suits...
1 Thank Looptuna
Dear Looptuna...thank you for your review regarding your stay here at Coconut Bay. I apologize that we did not meet your expectation regarding the watersports portion of our resort. We have a unique setting here on the Sothern Atlantic Coast of St Lucia. We have the most amazing trade winds 10 months a year that provide for some of the worlds best Kite Surfing and wind surfing experiences. We have professionals from around the world who train right here for months at time. As you may be aware Kite Surfing is a very difficult sport to learn and thus takes hours of lessons that our professional instructors teach during season. We attempted to keep our Surf Shack and school open an extra month becasue there were periodic days of wind however by the time your stay arrived we had shut the operation down until the beginning of October due to almost no appropriate wind days. People are still welcome to Kite surf on their own of our beach though. As far as motor sports; Coconut Bay is situated in the most beautiful Government protected area that does not allow for recreational boating or jet skiing. We believe this to be a huge asset to our laid back and casual resort atmosphere. A quick note we do have a rescue boat and Wave runner on hand for all of our customers safety.
Your commments on our beach side water sports which include Kayaking, snorkelling and paddle boarding are taken and we appreciate your input as we continue to evaluate all of our activities and improve them daily. I just returned from checking the beach and we are fully equipped with snorkelling fins as well as masks and snorkels. I apoogize if the fins were all out when you were snorkelling. We will be adding more "toys" to our inventory throughout the year and continue to look to guests like your self for further input.

Thank you again for your many positive comments and the constructive input we all appreciate it!

Cheers
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!