“Brilliant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Dunmanway, Cork, Ireland
“Brilliant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at Coconut Bay from the 21st of July to the 2nd of August and, being my first holiday abroad, I don't think I could have stayed in a better place. The views were amazing, there was always something to do and the staff were some of the nicest people I've met.
The rooms were kept cool and the food was great, all in all a comfortable stay. I think what made the stay really worth while though was the attitudes of the staff. They were all so friendly and weren't afraid to have a laugh with you.
Spending a lot of time at the adult bar, I feel that Wade, Honey and Leone all made my stay at the resort as good as it could have been. I didn't feel awkward around them and they made me feel like I was at home. However, I was disappointed that Junius wasn't there as he brought a unique atmosphere to the bar. I would also like to acknowledge Jimmy, Mitch, Akon and Andrea for making my stay positive and being friendly and willing to put up with my loud Irish bursts just as well as the other three.
I think that if I was to go back to St. Lucia, I would definitely consider Coconut Bay Resort & Spa as my primary accommodation.

2 Thank Tania H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,648)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed for 7nights July 19 - 26. We enjoyed ourselves tremendously. Thanks to our housekeeper Victoria for keeping our room clean and fulfilled our every request. Special shout out to the adult bar crew who made our everyday entertaining : Especially Junias Jimmy Andrea Wade ...and can't forget the swim up bar Skeet And Mitch. We also enjoyed our first couples massage with Petal and Andria who made us feel like a million bucks. We will definitely be returning to this resort everyone made us feel so relaxed and welcome. Oh yea we cannot forget Savee at the grill she made us feel so special every time. We love all of u and can't wait to return. Go Cubs...go Bulls thanks again for making our stay so memorable see you later suckers

Room Tip: Choose the adults only harmony side if ur not traveling with kids
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tracey L
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed at this resort between 12th and the 26th July 2013 and would most definitely return!
On arrival we were greeted with a rum punch and an ice cold towel which was perfect after our flight from london gatwick. Check in was prompt and staff friendly. We chose to take our own bags to our room and so were given directions from reception.
Rooms were easy enough to find. We stayed on the harmony (adults only) side. Rooms were not anything amazing, but had everything you needed and were comfy, you don't go on holiday to sit in your room! Our room attendant Pearl was brilliant! Always left a little note and towel art everyday, she also took note that we were only drinking normal coke not diet so left more of this when refilling the mini bar. The pools were good we chose to stay by the adults pool as we liked the sun tracker beds.
Junias-what a man! Made everyone feel welcome and always made sure everyone was having a good time.
Kerdy the night bartender was also lovely! Along with jade in the reception bar.
Jeanette in the silk restaurant was great! Benjamin in the calabash also!
There was always a good variety of food in the buffet, eggs could sometimes be a little greasy when cooked at breakfast but no problems other than that.
At the managers cocktail party there was a problem with the food cart catching alight, it was great to see managment working effectively together to sort out the problem quickly and carry on with the cocktail party!
One of our rooms won a half day trip during the draw which was fantastic!
One of our party turned 50 whilst at the hotel and Ed (guest relations) arranged a champagne breakfast, our dinner table to be decorated, a birthday cake and more champagne to be taken to the room for our return, which made the day extra special :)
All in all we had a brilliant time at coconut bay! I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Don't listen to the bad reviews, book the hotel and find out how good it is for yourselves.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Nicola C
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

we stayed from 24th june 2013 for 2 weeks - had a lovely time. We were allocated Splash - room a bit tired - AC didn't go below 78 deg but we did survive. Food & drink fab- staff always helpful, tried all a la carte restaurants and enjoyed them all. We climbed Gross Piton and suffered for about 4 days - not sure if its worth it !!!!!!
Hired a car from St Lucia car hire - more economical than hotel
Thanks to all - we had a lovely holiday :)

Room Tip: not splash ground floor- mosquitos are us !!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debbie f
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We wound up staying here after our outbound flight back home to NYC was delayed due to mechanical issues. We decided to stay overnight here and leave the next day instead. This resort is literally across the way from the airport so it was very convenient.
The first impressions of this resort aren't good. The entrance is drab and unappealing, though it gets slightly better at the main reception area. If only the rooms looked as good....
The reception staff were pleasant enough and check in went ok. Apparently this resort was once a Club Med and has since changed ownership. We were taken to our room via elevator, stairs and a long corridor. Upon entering the room, it was a let down and we were glad it was only for a night. The room was worn and had dark marks on the walls. The bedside tables were dirty and severely naked and scratched, and needed to be replaced. Our room was #330....Stay away from this block as it seems to be the older side. Maybe they have better rooms?
We left the room to dip in the pool and check out the beach. My hubby went to get beach towels, only o be told there weren't any and that they were sent out to be laundered. Really? How do you run out of beach towels? Unacceptable....
The beach here is unappealing and we didn't even bother with it. We opted for the pool instead. After a while in the pool we went back to our room to get ready for their Caribbean Night party, which was very good. There ere men on stilts, dance groups and several food stations set up on the grounds. And the food was excellent. The desserts, beef stews and jerk chicken were all good. I tasted the best carrot cake I've ever had at this resort. Of course, alcohol flowed endlessly:)
Overall, this was the only thing we liked at the resort. In short, we'd not stay here again, certainly not for a long vacation.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Bastat, thank you for posting your review on your one night stay with us. We are happy you enjoyed our entertainment, food and Caribbean night. This theme night is a hit with all of our guests. I apologize that the room was not to your liking. We have upgraded many of our rooms a with the remainder scheduled to be redone between now and the end of September.

We hope you will give us an opportunity to host you again as the resort really is a great spot as well as value concious.

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were just there for 1 night as the Villa we were staying at was double booked for the last night. The place was booked via an agent so I didn't choose the place.

First of all we arrived at 1pm as we had to check out from the Villa at 11:30 ish. We were not even let into the grounds. The security guard there was the rudest person we met in St Lucia whose people are generally very friendly. We had to use the washroom in the security area that was filthy - must have not been flushed in 3 months - full of faeces. We were told to come back at 3pm. We understood that we wouldn't get a room till 3pm but not to be allowed on the grounds? We offered to pay for everything till 3pm but were told no way we could go in despite having a group including children. On speaking to the manager the manager was apologetic but unable to do anything and said the rules were local bookings were unable to enter before 3pm so basically the St Lucia people are 2nd class citizens in their own country - way to go Coconut Bay!

When we got in eventually at 3pm to find room not ready. We were allowed to have drinks etc but they seemed in no rush to get our rooms ready even though they said it would only be a few minutes on arrival. We got our rooms at 4:30pm which were apparently some of the better rooms on speaking to another guest who was also moving to our floor after having his room broken into and burgled.

The rooms were very basic, beds very hard, bathroom full of bugs but again better then the rooms on ground floor that apparently had roaches. We ventured to the pools and beach area. The pools are incredibly dirty and on the beach a mother was openly letting her child do a cr@p on the beach - yes that sort of crowd go to this place. I'm not an All Inclusive type person so the mentality of the people there who were rah rah, drink and eat as much as you can sickened me. The drinks we had were very watered down and full of sugar syrup. I asked for a fresh coconut water and yes you guessed it no fresh juices at COCONUT BAY where they have a million and one coconut trees on site. The food is plentiful but very average and the grounds look pretty from a distance but don't meet any close inspection. The place is aging and not maintained.

For $340 US a night the place (2 adults, one young child) is a disgrace and despite St Lucia being expensive on the whole there are much better alternatives.

For the people that are there to eat and drink as much as they can and can get it for a much lower price and not concerned with cleanliness, standards, rah rah noise then I guess its ok. I would say this is a bad 2-3 star place that looks way better in pictures and from a distance.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here if you paid me but if you must the upper floors are apparently better. We w...
5 Thank Sanj1967
Dear Sanj1967, thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very concerned over your experience and your perception of our much beloved Coconut Bay Resort. I apologize if you were treated rudely at the front gate as this is not indicitive of the hospitality of our amaziong staff.
As you mentioned that you have not frequented an all inclusive in the past therefore you may not know it is imperative that the grounds be kept closed and secure. Check in time begins at 3pm. And our St Lucian customers are treated with the utmost respect as we all work and live right here in the beautiful community of Vieux Fort. If you remember you were extended free upgrade as well as a free late check out for having to wait the time you did.
As far as some of your other staements, unfortunately you are mistaken with some facts, There was no "break in or burgled room" nor was there cockroaches in the rooms. The fact that you state that there was no freah coconut water is baffling as we have a fesh coconut water station out every day with the coconuts our grounds team picks every morning. The pool water here at Coconut bay is pristine. No drinks are watered down as we have the best liquor selection of any all inclusive resort on the island.

It is one thing to not enjoy a resort and that happens from time to time but I believe it is important to keep to facts if you choose to share a review.

Mark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Travelled as a family to coco bay, my little one was only 7 mths so I was a little worried about travelling with such a young baby, although I had nothing to worry about!
I do agree with the other reviews that the hotel is a little dated but this didn't spoil our amazing time here in st lucia! And hear they are closing for a month in sept to do renovations.
I can honestly say from all of the places I have ever visited I had never felt so comfortable, the people don't hassle you at all! All the staff were amazing!
Will definitely be returning to st lucia!

1 Thank leahy82
Dear Leahy82, thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and I will be passing around your comments to the team.

We hope you will visit us again

Mark
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,005 reviews

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!