“Great Place for Families”

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vieux Fort
New York
“Great Place for Families”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband, 6 year old daughter and I just got back from spending 6 days at Cbay. We had a wonderful time. The rooms were clean, the food was good, and the staff were friendly (except for a few people at the front desk). My 6 year old spent a lot of time at Cocoland Kidz Klub where the staffs (Mia, Sarah, Ania, and Nasha) were the best. They were so friendly and just wonderful with all the kids. They knew each kid by name and always stopped to talk when they would run into the kids outside of the Kidz Klub.

In reading other reviews I noticed a lot of people complained about the beach having seaweed, but it was really not bad at all. They did a good job of cleaning it up. The beach was never crowed and just wonderful to sit and relax. The pools were clean, the lazy river and slide was fun.

Our Maid, Maryann, was great. She always did a great job, made sure we had what we needed and stopped to chat with us each day.

I would definitely recommend this resort and plan to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank lovetotravel4444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,722)
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 4, 2013

The resort was pretty normal. nothing special compared to other resorts on other islands. I've been to plenty of resorts in the caribbean and i would say this would fall in the bottom half of my reviews. The place looks extremely dated. Ants crawling everywhere. The food was only ok and the selection is extremely small. Staff was very friendly. I wouldn't go back to be honest. We went on an excursion and that was really the best part of the trip. If you go on a trip, ask for Ian Parsad. Cell: 758 717 2420. He was extremely friendly and explained a lot about the island. Very nice guy. Thanks for looking

Room Tip: it doesn't matter. ants were everywhere.
3 Thank Chung-I C
Iroquois Falls, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just returned from a friend's wedding and all i can say is what a disaster. Wedding was a mess and only got worse throughout the day and into the reception. Coconut Bay wedding team ruined their special day.
Hotel needs a major facelift and is very dated....hotel photos deceiving.
Boring...... no music or activities during the day. Nightly entertainment was a joke. Front desk rude and laughed behind our backs when complaint was made...ya you Kayla!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Pamela H
Cedar, Michigan
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed one week in the north and one week at Coconut Bay. There is no comparision. You are two minutes fron the Aitrport and are picked up in a private car. No two hour ride across the island after sitting on planes all day. As everywhere in Saint Lucia, the people.make your experience. The Saint Lucian people are the warmest and most welcominbg of any we have encountered throughout the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii For that reason this was our sixth trip to the island. There was a delay in checking in to our room. We contacted the Asst. Manager Paul Chin and he investigated the delay.and communicated with us. This is a larger resort with I would guess, has 1000+ guests at any one time. He gave us personal attention and later that afternoon, we had flowers and champagne in our room,and a nice card from Mark Hawken, the general manager.as a welcoming gift. It is nice to have the adults only and family rooms and activities separate. Our room was spacious and clean, with a gorgeous view of the ocean.. I did have difficultly with the beds...The top of the mattress is about 36 inches off the floor. I mention my need for a step to our housekeeper, Marcia Clarke. Within minutes she had a step next to my bed. Anytime we needed something, she stopped what she was doing, to help us. This is true of every staff member we encountered at the resort. "Sevee" at the beach grill. Who took time to get my husband the dill pickles he likes. And there was "Etto" in the Coconut Walk Buffet. Her real name is Henrietta Gonzague. . After three days of our coming into the resturant, remembered my husbands drink preference! WOW! She is dedicated to her customer service, very personable and is an asset to the resort. There is a great variety of cuisines to choose from, asian, italian, creole ....The food in all the resturants was excellant with impecable service..There was nightly entertainment in th lobby. If there was one less than positive comment, it would be the quality of the water for snorkling is not the best. You are on the Atlantic, and the surf churns up the seaweed and sand.. But the Pitons are not far away and the snorkling at the base off Souffiere is fabulous. This resort Is great for the kite boarders and the other water sports. The water is shallow, almost all the way to the Maria islands off shore and has a great beach. When we return again to Saint Lucia, The Coconut Bay Resort will be our choice.

3 Thank tenaj6835
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Tenaj6835
Thank you for sharing your review of your time at Coconut Bay. We are thrilled you and enjoyed your stay. The staff at the Resort pride themselves in providing the friendliest, courteous service and we are all so proud of them. I will ensure they all read your positive comments.
We look forward to seeing you again

North Bay, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I will never go to this resort again!!! I attended the resort for a week along with 30 others for a wedding. We had an issue checking in as well as 3 other couples. We were given a room on the splash side when we had paid and booked on the harmony side. We didn't get our room changed till the next day. The wedding turned out to be a complete disaster due to poor organisation by the resort wedding team. The resort is very outdated. There is little entertainment and no night life after 10pm. The only swim up pool bar is on the kids side of the resort. Rooms are not cleaned till later on in the day.

On the positive side, the staff were excellent especially the bartenders.....Da Joker, Skeete, Honey, Makebah, and Mitch. The food was exceptional....we never had a bad meal and there was lots of variety.

2 Thank Jason T
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife just returned from our honeymoon where we stayed at this resort and to say the least, we were INCREDIBLY disappointed with this hotel. After just a couple of days there we were having the "should we go stay somewhere else" conversation. I read a lot of reviews on here and after staying there personally, the only way I can see that people would give this place a good review is if this is a person's first time staying at an all-inclusive resort, if a person has little to no experience traveling, or if they're from some God-forsaken place on this planet like Detroit or the middle of no-where. It was so bad that we ended up getting a day pass to Sandals just to "get out of dodge." STAY AT SANDALS, NOT HERE! IT IS WORTH IT! If that doesn't say enough, then read on....

Oh, and before I get started, I've seen the management respond to some of the people who leave negative reviews on here and I must say your responses are quite smug and defensive by the way you take your approach basically telling people they're wrong about their reviews. Just because you have a mini-fridge, flat screen tv, and a safe it does NOT make your hotel current...it is still VERY OUTDATED.

Very DATED!
The place is incredibly outdated and looks nothing like its pictures. As we made our way to our actual room we noticed this building was quite old and in desperate need of a renovation. We walked into the room and it was the same thing; the bathroom was small, the shower was a small square that was hardly big enough to shower in and leaked water all over the floor. It smelled like mildew in our room. One night we weren't able to take a shower for several hours because there was no hot water available. I would say that the place is in desperate need of a paint job but I think it needs much more than that. Maybe to be torn down and redone altogether?

The infestation:
I grew up in the tropics so I think some of the reviews in regards to bugs are a little out of line here as bugs in the tropics is like snow in the north during the winter - it's just a part of life. HOWEVER, every night at around 6pm the resort drives around a truck that fumigates the entire property and you can watch as a lout noisy truck puts up a HUGE cloud of chemicals into the air to kill insects. The resort claims it is FDA approved but I still don't buy that it's good for you....

The food:
The hotel has three restaurants that you can make reservations at. One is an Italian, the other is an Asian, and the last one is a Caribbean style restaurant that you can make reservations at. These were probably the best options to actually dine at but it can get a little old eating at these to satisfy your hunger but they're only open for dinner. The Italian one had the worst menu out of all of them. The set up of the Italian one is kind of crappy because it's right next to a grill and loud patio area.

The buffet: absolutely terrible. There was a salad bar - and it was the same freaking salad EVERY single day - lettuce, chick peas, beats, carrots, and well....that's about it. The fruit there was hard and not even ripe. For breakfast I would notice some leftovers from the dinner buffet the night before. Sometimes for breakfast the buffet looked like they ran out of half the food there. For example, the line at the omelet station would be at least twenty people deep because they didn't put any other options out there. And the person working the omelet station needed a lesson on customer service because she was quite moody - all the time! I think her name was Mary. On top of that, the breakfast was only served until about 10am. My wife and I were from California and we were on our honeymoon and some mornings (being on California time) we didn't feel like being up at the butt crack of dawn to get our grub on. I would suggest keeping the breakfast buffet open longer and also stocking items so that you don't run out of them because if you didn't make it to the buffet by 930am they would already be out items and wouldn't restock them.

Lunch buffet: more awfulness. If you wanted a healthy option the salad bar consisted of a bowl of lettuce and a few other items. There would be some other items out there from the night before that looked like they were tweaked a little bit. There would be a panini station but the staff couldn't even tell you what was in them when you asked what kind of cheese was in there or what kind of meat was in there. Sometimes there would be a veggie or seafood salad but I didn't trust eating it because it was room temperature and the seafood salad was chewy. My wife and I were often hungry with the few options they had.

So where did we go next for food? They had a tiny little grill next to one of the pools. We saw a hamburger on the menu and for a second we were like, OMG, a hamburger, FINALLY real food! Nope - we were nothing but disappointed. We spent a good five minutes trying to figure out what kind of meat was actually in the hamburger. It was tough, chewy, and crunchy and it was like they tried to offset the poor taste by loading up the hamburger with a plethora of spices. No bueno! The only way to really satisfy your hunger at the grill was with the plain french fries or chicken wings they had - not really any healthy options. Ick.

For dinner we returned back to the buffet. From being faced with disgusting greasy options all day long I was looking forward to enjoying something healthy - maybe a salad? Nope....that same bowl of lettuce still sitting out there with the same three salad items. Sometimes there would be some decent options like some ribs or chicken but half the time it would be very dried out. A lot of the meals were very repetitive and my wife and I were pretty bummed out because we were craving a good meal!

A few other problems with the buffet:

It's either Monday or Tuesday that's Caribbean night for the buffet. They move the buffet outside near one of the entertainment stages. The problem is that the weather for this is horrible. It's very windy and it blows the table linen off the tables and it's just not a pleasant experience. It's also hard to eat when you sit down with a plate of food and it starts to downpour rain. Now everyone and everything is all wet. It was pretty funny to watch the hotel staff carry wet desert inside though... We saw that one coming a mile away (literally, you can see the rain clouds coming in).

it's very small. For the space they have they don't even utilize it to the full potential and there is a lot of empty counter space that they could be using for food items.

The desert bar sucks. All the desert is dried out and the options were the same every single night. There were also inaccurate menu options. One night there was an ice cream bar listed on the menu for deserts and my wife and I were actually pretty excited about it because we thought that would have been the best food we would have had at that point but when we walked inside it was the same crappy, dried out deserts that they had. I asked someone about there being an ice cream bar and they didn't know anything about it. They went to ask another person about it and that person was dumbfounded. They said the desert bar was what was in front of me but I explained to them what was on the menu and they were like, "really?" So they went to look at it with me because they didn't believe me and that person went to talk to someone. That's when I was told that they didn't have an ice cream machine because it was broken.

Nacho night! Another food option we were disappointed with. The nachos consisted of a small little section with a bowl of chips, nacho cheese, and....and that's about it, ha!

I'd recommend those staying there to eat off site as much as possible. Like at Hotel Chocolat or the Dasheene restaurant up by the Pitons. Now THOSE were good meals!

The pools:
Ah yes...the pools! So, we stayed on the adult Harmony side and what we found out was that there was nothing adult like about it. The adult side was VERY VERY SMALL. The pool was more like a pond. And there was only one very small bar there. I found the bartender to be very obnoxious there and he seemed to attract other obnoxious people who sat and drank at the bar ALL day long to the point where they were belligerent. One of these people who can't control their alcohol was too lazy to go to the bathroom and they pissed all over the bar stools where they were sitting. I would have almost stepped in it if some kind lady had not warned me about it. It seems as if none of the hotel staff was going to clean it up and I don't think the hotel staff really monitors intoxication very well because there were quite a few people who were beyond the cutoff point. Oh, by the way the pool only stays open until 5pm which is a joke AND there is trash in the form of empty cups and food plates everywhere.

The swim up bar! There is only one swim up bar and it's on the kid's side of the pool. It's very small and it's surrounded by many screaming children. The only thing worse than that is the adult pond with many screaming adults acting like children. The swim up bar features the resorts largest pool and we thought it was quite small for the whole resort considering there is only a pond on the other side. There's also a lazy river and water slide and those were mediocre. They were right next to the swim up bar pool so there was a lot of kids around.

Water activities/beach:
On the resort's website it claims there are a lot of water activities. The problem is that the resort is on the Atlantic side and they don't tell you the water is constantly rough and windy and the ocean is filled with seaweed. Because of that the water is constantly being churned up, the seaweed makes the water dark, and it's very choppy so snorkeling is horrible. Kayaking is ok but unless you're experienced and want to take on the choppy water it's probably not for you. The pictures make the hotel seem misleading too because it's windy and rainy the whole time. There's intermittent sunshine of only about ten minutes or so then it gets a little cold with the cloudy and windy combo. Oh the beach is also very small and there is a huge tractor going up and down the beach through the day raking up seaweed but it's a losing battle.

The adult side:
Needless to say the adult side really sucks. It's full of a lot of drunktards. Intermittently dispersed in the crowd were some normal people and we met some of them from time to time. My heart goes out to them because they had to put up with the same experience that we had to put up with too. Anyway, the adult side only consists of that one bar and pond and that's it.

Nightly entertainment:
What entertainment? The entertainment is God awful and I wouldn't even consider what they have entertainment. There is nothing to really do there at night past 9pm. My wife and I were very, very bored. We tried making the best of it but it was tough at time and we felt like our new marriage was already being tested because of this terrible experience! ha. A lot of the entertainment we felt was geared towards six year old children. One night we went to check out the entertainment and we were watching a little kid sing the Canadian National Anthem. God bless his little soul but that was NOT what we call entertainment. Another night we decided to check out "Motown Night." We went to the stage by the grill where it was supposed to be taking place and the stage was pitch black dark. It was supposed to start at 830pm and it was going on 850pm. I went to the front desk to inquire about the nightly entertainment and the staff at the desk was dumbfounded, they were like, they're not there? I pointed to the sign at the front desk that said tonight's nightly entertainment was "Motown Night." They were like, "hmmmm, that's so weird they should be there." After some time they told us that they were going on late - they started forty-five minutes late! It gets better....it really does...they were forty-five minutes late and the entertainment only lasted for twenty minutes and the songs that they performed weren't even Motown songs. In addition to that, the stage was in desperate need of repair. There was only one working light so we couldn't even see all of the performers on the stage.

On some nights they did Karaoke at the upstairs bar. The resort staff did a good job at talking up the bar upstairs and talking up Karaoke. The only problem is that nobody ever went there. It was usually empty and to fill up the blank sign up sheet the staff was doing Karaoke.

The downstairs lobby: like I was saying about the small adult section. The bar in the lobby in the evening was kind of the hub of any activity that was taking place. The problem was that we were surrounded by screaming kids. There was also two billiards tables but 75% of the time the resort staff wasn't even regulating the tables and the kids would be jumping all over the tables and banging the sticks everywhere. So ANNOYING.

The spa:
It was mediocre. My wife is the massage expert as she gets them more often than I do and she wasn't impressed. We did a couple's massage outside but the set up they have for that isn't that good. They talk highly about it online and at the guest services desk. It's right up near the water but the problem is that you're exposed to the elements and the wind is coming straight at you. We also missed the rain by about ten minutes or so otherwise we would've gotten the full assault of wind and rain. The service was also a little lacking. They were fifteen minutes late.

The housekeeping:
Sometimes they forgot to bring clean towels to our room and we had to call down there for them.

The alcohol:
Not too bad actually. But management needs to educate the staff about wine. Don't ask anyone if they have a cab because it will be twenty minutes before you find your answer.

The bright side:
Michi. I loved this guy. He was one of the concierge and he was able to make our trip enjoyable by helping us plan activities away from the resort. The most fun we had was while we were on our activities and not spending time at the resort. I would recommend everyone go eat at the Dasheene restaurant and Hotel Chocolat.

Now let me tell you about our day trip to Sandals:
I would recommend people stay at Sandals instead of Coconut Bay. My wife and I did a day trip to Sandals to go experience a nice resort and it was amazing. It was modern, the swim up bars were amazing, the activities and entertainment offerings were amazing, and the food was delicious - the grill there was a grill and Coconut Bay should take a few lessons from its competitor to the north. STAY THERE PEOPLE NOT AT COCONUT BAY!!! LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKE!

Room Tip: If you're looking for an all-inclusive, STAY AT SANDALS!
18 Thank xshaftyx
Dear XShaftyx

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay here at Coconut Bay. Let me apologize that we did not provide you and your wife the honeymoon you were looking for.
As opposed to attempting to respond to your concerns I will simply say that in my experience there are some resorts that are just not for some travellers. We are very happy and proud to say that the vast majority of our guests love Coconut Bay.
Once again we are sorry Coconut Bay was not able to meet your expectations.

Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My family and I had a great week at Coconut Bay. The pools, the food and drinks were all wonderful, but the best part was the staff. Everyone that works there will do whatever they can to help you, which is something you will not always find.There is a good variety of pools, and my kids loved the water slides. I would like to give personal acknowledgements to certain staff members that stuck out in our minds.
Eric - who greeted us right off the bus with rum punch and juice, and helped us with our bags.
Dean John and Shervon - who made the water slides so much fun for all of us.
Yvonne - Most personable staff member ever!
Valencia - Kept our room spotless, and left us a thoughtful note everyday.
Verna - The Air Transat rep who was there to answer any questions, and made sure we got out on our day trips without any problems.

My kids are already asking when they can go back!!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeff C
Dear Jeff
Thanks for posting your review. We are all thrilled you and your family enjoyed your stay. The Staff and Management wish to thank you for vactaioning with us and would love to have you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vieux Fort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!