WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vieux Fort
London
“Fun in the Sun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have just returned from a wonderful trip to St. Lucia and stayed at the Coconut Bay and what an absolute credit the staff are to the owner and managment, they should be very proud!

The hotel itself is divided into two distinct areas and we were stying on the Harmony side. Our room was lovely, spotlessly clean and maintained that way throughout our stay, my compliments to Housekeeping!

We sampled all the restaurants as well as the nightly menus in the main restaurant, and all the food was lovely. Great breakfast selection with lovely fresh fruit, plentiful choice for hot breakfast and great snack bar open all day long.

We did enjoy Junius at the adult pool bar, and his banter with the guests was great, and definitely encouraged lots of conversation and chatting between the guests, you may have arrived knowing only the people you travelled with but you definitely left knowing a load more, which is always fun! However I must also mention Akon and Fatta who also looked after the bar, as they were also great at keeping this bar my favourite to go! Shame it has such an early close.

I would mention all the activities the hotel offers by way of walks, exercise classes, games and fun activities, i would normally not be quite so energetic on holidays but there was so much to try it was really good.

The one huge plus was also the proximity to the airport with transfers of literally 5 minutes, what's not to love!

4 Thank meercat1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,570)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I want to start off by thanking the entire resort for giving us a wonderful time!! The employees at this place are wonderful! Friendly welcoming and just plain great!!! Special people that I met were: Small J, Morgan , Junius,and Kay at the adult pool bar. Sejay at the late night beach cafe, thanks for making all off our late night requests!! Melton at the lobby bar. He was my husbands buddy. " Big Mike says Hi from Pittsburgh"!!,Jamara who does the entertainment was a cutie pie!! Javid at the pools" the pool guy", was fun to talk to. I am the "pool girl" at my house!!! There were alos tons of other who did great stuff for us but these guys were our favorites!! To start my review, our first impression was this place needs a make over, and thats what they are doing. I would of given it a three star but felt guilty doing that;).. There is a new GM from Canada that we met who is working on the spruce up and talking to Ed who is also on the management team( happens to be my new BFF Bev's friend, Lol) there are alot of exciting new things planned!! We will be back to check this out!! The food was okay. We ate at the Silk Asia place and also the Italian. My husband is Italian and we really didnt care for the food there. I loved the wings for the superbowl party and met the chef to request the receipe. I talked to a few other people who promised to get me the receipe. I didnt get it though. Hopefully someone who reads this can do this. That would be great!! Things like this are what make a difference in a 3,4 or 5 star resort!!! We ate breakfast at the buffet . They offer an adult breakfast by the pool if you dont want to hang with the kiddies. We did it once, it was ok. Speaking of the kiddies, the resort does a great job of keeping the kids and the adults only pool seperate. There is the " buffer pool" in between the kids area and the adult only pool. Great idea!! Our first day there we were in the main pool and it was really quiet. The kid pool has a water slide and a lazy river. The kids all stay there. Why if you were a kid would you go any where else!!! The kids I did see seemed very well behaved, good job parents!! I saw ,I think her name was Auntie at one evening event and she was taking care and watching her charges. When my kids were small I would of loved for her to keep an eye on them. She gives off a grandmotherly vibe! Bet she gives great hugs!! We spent all the rest of our vacation at the adult pool with our "new friends"!! My husband and I met the best people here!! Very friendly, fun and we all had alot in common. Many people though we all came as a group! I spent a week getting to know a bunch of wonderful people! You all know who you are!! Thank you guys as well!!!! I met so many people and on our last day they sang us away with the adult pool bar song and " see ya later suckers"!! How fun! The bartenders at the pool bar were great. There is a new trainee, a pretty young lady who is a bit clueless and I think she could use some hands on training with the more experienced bar tenders. Small J that is your new assignment!! LOL. Well, as I usually try to stay away from the negatives I have to say this. The whole Julius deal kind of sucked! I know there was an issue with a grumpy guest complainer. I am pretty sure he was the one guy who as we first arrived was whining to me about Julius. My husband and I said to each other why dosent he just go to another bar. That was pretty much what after talking to the rest of the guests felt also! We know he was given a week off. I think he makes this place at the adult pool come alive, and the first day after he was gone was like a tomb! Bummer! We didnt really get to know him and for that we are sad. Im not going to question the managements descision because Im sure they had reasons to do what they did but it was kind of a let down for us. Small J did come in and with his great smile get the place moving again. He is very professional and I cam see him hopefuly moving up the management ladder!! For the guest who did the complaining, shame on you! You r words and actions affected alot of people on our vacations. If you are at home and a bar is not where you feel comfortable you wouldnt go there. You should of just moved on and let the rest of us have fun! All right, moving on we will be back!! I am excited to see all the new stuff the are planning. Firepits outside the upstairs area, new updated rooms etc. Our room was ok . It had a beautiful oceanview that I am missing big time. We were on the Adult Harmaony side. Our room was not yet updated but it was bright and clean! The bed was comfortable and the pillows nice! The bathroom was set up weird! The towels are over the potty and you have to get out of shower and walk over to get them. The maid service was pretty good. Kind of inconsistant with what you had stocked in your room each day. That should probably be addressed. We just made due with what they gave us. We did leave the maids a few dollars here and there. After that we did get a few hand written notes telling us to have a great day etc... That was nice. You do get flower petels and towel art each day. Cute touch!! Speaking of tipping. You do not have to but we do. For wonderful service, we do. If you do, I bet you get even better service like we did! We say hi to everybody from the maintance workers all the way up to the managers! Be nice ,fellow guests and smile and this place will have a specail place in you hearts like it has in ours!!! I am going to end with we had a wonderful time, enjoyed all the people we met from fellow guests to the people who work here! The island is beautiful, we took an all day tour with a driver and did the sunset cruise. Both fun! We had a couples massage, nice. Needed music in the massage area but nice. We will be back in the futere and again thanks to everyone who we met and made this so far the best vacation ever, ever!! Much love and hope to see ya later SUCKERS!!!!!!

Room Tip: We had room on forth floor, 443.It hada beautiful ocean front view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandytoes4ever
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

First time to Saint Lucia and we can’t say enough about the island, resort and staff.
Everyone made us feel very welcome. Staff was cheerful and accommodating at every turn. The general manager is always mingling and making sure that guests are enjoying their visit. Our room was on the fourth floor on the Harmony side and was updated, spotless and very comfortable. I always say that a clean room and a comfortable bed are the two most important elements for an enjoyable stay and this resort did not disappoint. The housekeeper (Shirley) took great care of us and left friendly messages each day.
Although we didn’t try the swimming pools they looked very inviting. Personally, we prefer the beach and ocean for swimming. The beach was beautiful and the water was warm. We read lots about seaweed and found it to be a complete non-issue. What does accumulate is cleaned daily and is actually not seaweed at all but seagrass which is soft and easy to walk over if evident. The resort does a great job of cleaning it up with special beach grooming equipment.
The location couldn’t be more perfect with close proximity to the airport. The planes are not a disturbance at all and the trade winds really help to keep you cool.
For entertainment there is always something to do. The people of Saint Lucia are warm and friendly and really proud of their island.
If planning excursions separate from those organized by the resort I’d recommend hiring Nerv’s taxi service. Nice vehicles and professional staff.

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank MarkWindsorOntario
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had such a wonderful experience at Coconut Bay last January. Arriving at the airport I noticed that I had left my jacket at the resort. I called as soon as I got home to have it sent to me at my expense. Mr. Evans emailed to say that they did not have it and would reimburse me for it. After emailing Mr. Ingler, Mr. Gregorson and Mr. Mekeje at Coconut Bay Resort and being reassured by Mr. Gregorson and Mr. Mekeje that I would receive the reimbursement promised to me by Mr. Evans and Mr. Taylor I am still waiting 12 months later. Every e-mail has been so positive but so far nothing promised has been followed through on. :^(

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I just returned from this resort with our two children (11 and 9). This was my fourth all-inclusive experience and second in St. Lucia. We wanted the children to have the opportunity to experience more than just an all-inclusive resort, but outside adventures and culture as well. We came across this resort when we were looking for a good all round family destination in the Caribbean. We generally like to explore different destinations, but our previous experience on this beautiful island was enough to influence our decision to return. The reviews of Coconut Bay on this website helped our decision further and set the right expections. We knew we were going to a resort that was somewhat tired looking, but very clean, so we were not disappointed in its apperarence which is currently being addressed. The beach was very natural and better than expected (we read some bad reviews - they must have taken a coconut to the head). We took some great walks in both directions watching the children frolicking about in the sand and sea. Some days we didn't run into anyone at all along the way - you can walk to a stunning public beach and the town one way, and past the kite surf shop point to great views in the other direction. If you are looking for deep beaches packed with people than this beach is not for you, but we loved it! We all had lots of fun on the water slides which added that little extra to the many great pools at the resort. We were pleasantly surprised about the food. There were a lot of options to choose from - could be a little warmer, but understand it is typical of most buffets. Soups were excellent. The beach grill was great for grabbing snacks and was also a good alternative to the buffet at lunch. Most of the resort staff made our trip a wonderful experience, but particular mention goes to Marcellus. His great energy, personality and respectful encouragement to get people involved in the various activities from morning to evening - he is the resort's top asset. He made a great impression on our children as well and kept them entertained. There was some good entertainment in the lobby as well, but we found it ended too early. The paintball was closed when inquired and games room was closed during our stay which disappointed the kids, although, there were other activities that we enjoyed i.e. pool table in lobby, bocce ball, tennis, water volleyball, water polo, ping pong etc. It is important to note that the location was windy most of the time, but not a distraction from our great experience at the resort. We were initially concerned about being too close to the airport but only a few flights left each day and we barely noticed them, therefore, the proximity to the airport was a plus due to the 5 minute trip.

Adventures: We went on the Catamaran trip during our first stay and wanted the children to enjoy the same experience with the breathtaking views of the Island. Zip lining in Dennery was thrilling and lots of fun, but try to get in front of the line if you are with a group larger than 8.

Overall it was a great family vacation and we would highly recommend this resort to other families.

Room Tip: We loved our ground floor room so that we could sit outside and watch the kids play or run to grab d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tamara C
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Good afternoon Tamara. Thank you for taking the time to share your Coconut Bay experience. We will be sure to share your praise with all of the team and especially those that you pointed out. They will be thrilled. Our team is definately our greatest asset. We are so pleased you had a wonderful time. It is great to hear that your children enjoyed themselves. We are proud to display St Lucia's finest entertainers and we strive to schedule entertainment at all different times throughout the property. Our lobby entertainment runs nightly from 7-8:30 and then other entertainment startes at 9 pm in differnet locales- main Stage, Blu Bar, Adult Pool or Peter Johns Lounge. We host Family Karaoke, Adult Karaoke, Reggae Paty, a Country and Western Show, a Caribbean show, Sing along, 3 different bands and a Disc Jockey nightly. We aspire to have something for everyones entertainment tastes.

Thanks once again and we hope to see you soon
Stay Warm

Cheers
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our fourth visit to CBay was great. While I have been critical in the past, I noted several improvements. The food was better prepared (something for everyone), dining room furniture has been upgraded, entertainment was very good, and service was excellent. Although we experienced a few very minor problems with our room (TV remote, flickering light,), our problems were addressed quickly, professionally and courteously. As always, the staff were very pleasant and helpful and we look forward to our fifth visit next year.

Room Tip: We stayed on the adult side in a premium room where the views of the ocean are better.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

There is not much one can add to the reviews below - if you look at them in aggregate then you have a balanced picture of the resort.

We stayed just three nights at this resort as we wanted a stopping off point before heading on to another hotel - to get over jet lag (from UK) and experience the atlantic side of the island (we were heading on to a hotel in soufriere).

This is a decent resort at a decent price. It is a resort that looks like it hasn't been updated since the late eighties - and at that time I suspect it would have been a good 4 star - now it is simply a dated 3 star resort. This is not necessarily a bad thing - it's simply to make you aware of the facilities on offer.

In summary, my wife and I stayed in the harmony (couples side of the resort) and liked:

- The fact that it was on the atlantic side of the island - this makes for spectacular sunrise beach walks (circa 06.30am) and the beach is great as you can walk for a good 45 mins round trip up and down the beach. There are not many resorts on the caribbean side that can boast that. Yes, the sea is rougher and as a result seaweed does come onto the beach but I can't say this ruined it for us.
- The staff are truly an asset - they are warm, friendly and helpful - particularly the amusing bar staff. Great ambience.
- The fact that watersports are available - if you like kite surfing then come here!
- The food was quite good (not 'excellent') but we found something we liked from the buffet every day. We did also go to Silks (asian) and Calabash (caribbean) based on previous recommendations but were not that impressed. I guess it depends on what you like to eat.
- We weren't with kids but I can imagine those with small kids (under 12) would find this place perfect - the rides, lazy river, kids water park - all make for a great way to keep the young ones entertained.
- Despite our fears - we didn't see a mosquitoe whilst here.

We didn't like:
- the rooms - even though we were in a renovated room - it was still basic, smelt of damp - but it wasn't that traumatic.
- the bathrooms - as previous people have said - these are very dated now
- the entertainment - wasn't to our liking - but everyone else seemed to like it!

We did rent a car for one of the days and that lent a different perspective on the island (I would highly recommend this)- we also stopped off at other resorts (e.g. sandals, bodyholiday) and saw there is a huge difference between resorts (i.e. they looked quite good) - but also a huge difference in cost.

If you want a reasonably budgeted holiday and come with realistic expectations then you'll enjoy your holiday I suspect.

Hope that helps!

Room Tip: the higher floors are better in the harmony side of the resort
3 Thank Kpfromuk
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!