“Talk about a bad resort!!”

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Reviewed April 10, 2008

Take my advise. Do not go to this hotel if you are not bringing at least one child with you.

As a former employee at Walt Disney World I saw parrallels of this hotel to the famous amusement park. Coconut bay is beautiful and grand. It has 3 pools and waterpark built into the resort. It really feels like it has everything a resort could want. But I stress the feels like. So here is why I realllly didn't like it.

1. The room smelled. Not sure what the funk was but I couldn't get it out of the room. Two other friends of mine complained of the same smell in their room. Like bad air freshener trying and failing to cover up mildew.

2. The buffet was BAD. I'm a guy that will eat just about anything. It was bad. It's the first time I've thrown away pecan pie (my all time favorite). I couldn't eat my chicken sandwich at the beach bar either. It was that bad. The other two restruants were booked 2 days out so if you go book before you leave the US.

3. Customer service suffered. 3 times I asked an employee a question and they simply said "I don't know" and walked away. I asked where to reserve a dinner reservation and was sent upstairs. upstairs sent me back down to who I asked the first time. they then sent me to the front desk. The front desk sent me to customer service who told me it was booked. I wanted to use the internet. I asked the front desk and they sent me to customer service. waited with no one at the customer service counter for 20 minutes. When he arrived he sent me back to the front desk to scan my credit card who then sent me back to customer service(where I waited in line) to get to use a computer at a high way robbery per minute internet rate.

4. They don't sweat the small stuff. No towels in the towel bins. Water arrobics instructor instructed outside the water. Didn't contact me about my flight cancelation. Arranged my taxi to airport 4 hours before I took off when airport is a 2 minute cab ride.

5. The beach.... stunk. Lots of sea weed. It was windy. If you get to this place and really don't like it. Don't say I didn't warn you.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank x94kenyon

Reviewed April 9, 2008

We stayed at this resort shortly after Easter, our party consisted of myself, my husband and our thirteen year old son.

At the risk of repeating other reviews we liked the proximity to the airport (the transfer takes about five minutes) fantastic after an eight hour flight and the small amount of aircraft noise did not bother us.

We've stayed in St Lucia before and really just wanted a chill out holiday, previously we stayed on the Carribean side of the island but found the heat stifling the constant breeze on the Atlantic side was welcome but might not be for everybody.

The rooms were solid three star material. In the family block we had two queen beds, TV with a good selection of channels, the aircon was good and the room was kept clean by the chambermaid. The rooms could possibly do with a lick of paint but other than that they were fine. They do have a musty smell when you enter them but that is not uncommon in our experience of the Carribean and is simply the result of hot humid air being cooled by the aircon and condensing on the soft furnishings, it's pretty much unavoidable.

As for the other facilities, we found them to be good. The gym was well kitted out, there were tennis courts, pool tables, ping pong water slides etc. etc. We were up early every morning and were gratified to see a pool man cleaning out the pools everyday. They can look grubby in the afternoon but that is purely the result of sand whipping up off the beach and into the pool - and of course the guests who did not bother to shower after coming up off the beach. There is a lack of shade around the pools (except the adult one) and I do consider that a problem in the fierce sun. I can't speak for the kids club as my son is a bit too old to go.

The restaurants were all good and the food was fresh and varied and we were always warmly welcomed by the staff who tried to keep us in one spot throughout our holiday to make us more comfortable. If I had any complaints, whilst the shady decor of the Coconut Walk buffet restaurant where most meals are taken is great at breakfast and lunch, the harsh overhead lighting used in the evening leads the restaurant to lack ambience at night. Some wall lighting and candles on tables would solve this in a jiffy. Also the hotel does have a dress policy for dinner but many guests don't stick to it and turned up in shorts and flip flops. The hotel should be stricter in enforcing the dress code and this would certainly make the dinner service seem more upmarket. The beach grill served some very tasty snacks if you didn't want to go to the trouble of dining inside.

We used the Spa for a lovely couples aromatherapy massage and would recommend it, however we realised that we had been overcharged by $20 which was not the end of the world and doubtless accidental. I think in sterling it would have been about £50 per person, not cheap but not extortionate either.

The staff were generally very pleasant and polite and my son made friends with the animation staff at the drop of a hat.

We went on the quad biking tour (led by Bash) which we really enjoyed we booked it with the tour desk in the lobby. There was some confusion at the start of the the trip but it turned out to be due to some attendees on the trip not having their correct paperwork. The quad biking tour takes in some local scenery and lovely beach which cannot be reached by road it also includes a trip to a tiny local village where one of the local ladies had prepared some sweet snacks and drinks and allowed you to chat to the villagers and take in their way of life. We were horrified when one set of guests allowed their son who was old enough to know better to feed the homemade snacks to a local dog. Goodness knows what the St. Lucians thought of this wasteful behaviour.

As previously mentioned there were some locals paying to use the hotel's facilities but the hotel was not overrun and the facilities were not overstretched (there is certainly no need to reserve sunbeds) so I really could not see the problem.

Generally we throughly enjoyed the holiday, though I would say the hotel has a high percentage of families staying, it would not put me off staying there as a couple but it is something worth considering if children are not your cup of tea. As for tour operater, we used Virgin. We've travelled with them many times but on this occasion they did not cover themselves with glory. We left Gatwick late from a very cramped gate. One of the toilets was out of order and leaked copious amounts of smelly fluid out of the locked cubicle and onto the carpet outside. Lovely. The return flight was also delayed and our online seat bookings had been mysteriously lost and initially we were split up. We managed to resolve this on board when it turned out the row of seats my husband and I were on actually had an empty seat for our son to move to, so why the check in clerk was so unhelpful I can only guess. I think I would consider a different operator in future.

Stayed: April 2008
9  Thank kitty-belafontaine
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Have just returned from a fantastic 2 week stay at the CB. This hotel is really gearded up for families, from the waterslides and swimming pools to the daytime activities and nightly entertainment. In fact we hardly saw our children for the entire fortnight.

Silk and Bellagio Restaurants were excellent, the Coconut Walk restaurant was very good for breakfast and lunch but could have had a better selection for Dinner. The Beach Grill served very good burgers, hotdogs and ceasar salads.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially CoCo Boy, Shadrach and Crazy Charlie with his cocktails for the kids.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for anyone with children.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank jim27big
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Just returned from a one-week stay at Coconut Bay resort. I had read all of the reviews going into it and must say they were right on (the positive ones at least). I won't repeat everything that has already been said, but basically this is a nice, safe, clean place to stay for a relaxing vacation. Although geared towards families, I had a great time as a single female and enjoyed the areas available to get away from the kids. Food was good (especially the grill) and the place was kept very clean. Only downfall of the trip was that it rained a lot (no fault of the hotel of course). It was funny, a staff member saw me taking pictures of the rain one day and told me I better not be posting that on tripadvisor! Even with the rain, it was a wonderful trip and I can't come up with anything the hotel could improve on.

Some suggestions if you are going to Coconut Bay - walk into town (turn left out of the main gates and its about a one mile walk). For anyone needing internet access, it is about 3-4 cents per minute at the internet cafe in town (as opposed to 50cents/minute at the resort!) I'd also highly recommend the ATV tour and the full day tour by land/sea! This was a great way to see most of the island for about 100 bucks (food and drinks included!) And before I forget, there is a donkey tied to a random tree between the tennis courts and paintball field. He apparently has no purpose, just stands there! I'm not a big animal lover, but kinda fell for the donkey and visited him daily!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
7  Thank DreamingMoBay
Reviewed March 29, 2008

Well, I was worried before I went to Coconut Bay - not because of any bad reviews on Trip Advisor but because I was a middle aged lady staying there on my own for a week - having stayed earlier with friends on the Caribbean side of the island.

First impressions - it was too big for me - when on my own I usually stay in small places. I arrived at check-in and my room wasn't ready but I was given a lovely welcoming cocktail. I got chatting to a lady who was just departing - she had been on her own and had an enjoyable week. After about 15 minutes a nice guy arrived and took me and my case to my room on the second floor. The room for me on my own was lovely - I would say good 3 star - two queen beds - aircon that worked for me. A decent bathroom and hot water. There was also a television which is handy on your own and tea and coffee making facilities. It would have been nice to have a fridge which I think you get with more expensive rooms. I had a sea view and at night it was quiet - I was in the adult wing though which overlooked the adult pool. A bit disconcerting was an adjoining door to the next room - but it was locked on my side! The room was very clean - I did see a few ants around sometimes but not very many. A couple of nights I had a cute little black and white lizard in my room perhaps that is why there were not so many insects! I only saw about two mosquitoes which I quickly disposed of with a spray I had brought with me.

Breakfast was up until 10am but I got there between 7am-7.30am because it was quieter - any later all the families arrived. Breakfast was a good choice and there are chefs to cook fresh eggs and omelets if you want.

Lunch was a good choice of salad, soups, pasta dishes, various meats eg lamb and chicken and good desserts. Dinner was more or less the same.

I dined in the Asian restaurant twice and the Italian once both are very good but you have to the booking desk at about 8am to queue to reserve a table for the following night.

As I was on my own I did not bother too much with the day time or evening entertainment but it was fine - I really just wanted to chill out. There is a good spa there and I had several treatments (pay extra). The grounds are lovely for walking around and the beach does have seaweed which is removed daily by a man on a tractor but it is nice for a walk along the beach although as I was on my own I didn't want to stray too far from the hotel boundaries. I joined in a walk led by one of the animation team to Vieux Fort one day and that was enjoyable.

I found the staff very pleasant at all times - a couple of people in the dining room were not so friendly but so what.

I went on one half day tour to Soufriere - the volcano and some beautiful botanical gardens.

The hotel had no water on one day but proved two large bottles of drinking water per room and kept people regularly updated with the situation - so it wasn't really a problem - except if like me you had not showered before the water problem!

I expected the weather to be better - it was stormy but when the sun came out it was beautiful - the island is very picturesque.

I would definitely return to Coconut Bay but think I would only do so with family or friends. It is not really the place for an older lady on her own because most of the other people are families or couples. I suppose I could have asked the hotel if there were other single people around but really I just wanted a relaxing break so did not really want lots of company.

I felt very safe though on my own at the Coconut Bay - the security team were very visible and I felt safe in my room.

I would definitely recommend this place to families and couples. I consider it to be a good standard three star place.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
9  Thank ilovetravel50
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for the first time at the end of January 2008. This hotel does everything it possible can to make your stay memorable. The staff were fabulous, the drinks and food were excellent. We have stayed at different hotels thru the years at other Carribean islands but this was the best so far. Every room has an ocean view so no need to upgrade. Rooms were clean an spacious. This hotel has it all, great pools, water slides, lazy river, theme dinners, all day BBQ and snack foods, nightly entertainment was fantastic.
The only drawback to this hotel is the fact that it is located at the south end of the island where there is basically no local shopping. We hired a taxi driver (St. Paul) for the day and he took us on a tour of the entire island, to a great on the water restaurant for lunch and to some of the attractions for 7 hours.
I would return to this hotel anytime.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank bonnies
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Beginning of March for the most fabulous vacation. Big Beautiful Ben in the Barbeque and the fabulous ladies in the Spa, the whole thing was just great. I would definitely go back. Perfect for families with children but if you want a quiet time, visit the adult pool area. The people are the nicest ever! Don't bother visiting Castries, not fun but do book the ATV rides....great fun...and definitely go to the SPA! Wish I was still there...D&J

Stayed: March 2008
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Anse Chastanet
Anse Chastanet
#6 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!