“Didn't want to leave”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Penal, Trinidad
“Didn't want to leave”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at Coconut Bay Resort in September of 2012 and enjoyed it immensely.

The staff was friendly, helpful and efficient, the food was very good and the environment left us feeling very relaxed. We rented a car on site at the hotel (they can arrange pretty much anything you'd like to do) and took in the rest of St. Lucia over 2 days.

This hotel takes you away from people, traffic and the city to a very quiet, remote location - excellent for an escape the world getaway. The bars serve a variety of cocktails and beer and staff at the restaurants cannot be faulted. The only drawback was the size of bathroom which was a bit small.

The beach at the hotel is Atlantic Ocean, so the water isn't as clear as the Caribbean ocean west coast side of the island. However if you take a walk or taxi further on toward the town of Vieux Fort, it gets better.

Definitely try the Coffee Deluxe, Dirty Banana and Lucian Driver at the bar.

We're looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view of the grounds and beach.
4 Thank Navita M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,742)
Essex
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Booked last minute after first considering Turkey, Portugal etc and so glad we did for just a little bit more money as we had a lovely time. We thought we might get some bad weather due to it being the rainy season but we had brilliant weather. Only rained a little bit which unfortunately included the day we did the Land & Sea trip (booked via the BA rep) which we would thouroughly recommend. The Botanical Gardens were stunning.

We read all the recent reviews on the hotel before we booked and decided to go for a 4th floor room on the Adults side. We were pleased we did as the view was stunning (we were in room 443). From what we saw of the other rooms ours had been recently refurbished and seemed much smarter. Our maid was lovely and actioned any requests when we left a little note. She wrote lovely little messages each day which were nice to read when we got back to the room. Towels were changed in the night as well.

Air conditioning was a bit noisey and so were the frogs & Crickets outside but the bed was really comfortable. I don't usually sleep well but on this holiday I did.

We had read reviews that the hotel was dirty but we didn't see that in fact they were cleaning pools etc quite a bit. I'm quite fussy in that respect.

Beach - yes there was sea weed but there were clear parts and the water was lovely and warm. It is the Atlantic so yes it's not going to be the Carrabean !

Food - Was fine. If people moan then they are probably people who just like to find fault. Yes it was a bit repetitive but it's up to you to vary isn't it. Breakfast always had fruit, cooked food, nice breads, pastries to die for and wafle & egg stations - what more can you have? Lunch was OK, bit samey but there was also the Grill bar serving lovely steak, fish, wraps, burgers & Pizza. Each evening there was a themed night so some varity or there were 3 resturants. We didn't rate the Calabash much but the Italian & Silks (Chinese) were very good. Lasange in Italian was lovely. We also did the couples meal and that was lovely.

Staff on the whole were excellent. I hope the management read this as a special mention to Dahlia. What a lovely, sweet, hard working girl. The best smile ever she is an asset to the hotel. Small J & Akon also kept us entertained and Jason & Jamara looked after us on the walks. Janet in Silks was also lovely. The ladies in the Spa were also very pleasant & friendly. The facial had really made a difference to my skin.

In fact all the staff gave us a lovely friendly welcome. The only time I got frustrated was when we were in a hurry on the day of our trip and I had to ask twice for coffee. Then I realised there was no milk so I asked for some and instead of bringing it to me, the waiter had realised there was none out so he filled up all the jugs and started laying they out on all the tables He kept looking over at me put did't give me mine until we called him over. I think Management could give them a little bit of advise.

Entertainment was really good for hotel standards. The Country singer had a superb voice and the steel band were amazin. We enjoyed the pool party entertainment also I agree with previous reviewers about the BA staff. They can get a bit rowdy.

We were also there when the man died and heard the story from the 3 English nurses as to what happened. It was nice to see that the hotel went out of their way to ensure the widow was not left on her own and looked after her until she could leave.

Nice to see the management walking around asking guests for there feedback.

In summary we had a really lovely holiday. We certainly didn't experience any of the really negative points people have raised although I would say that the hotel wasn't that busy and maybe if we had been there at a more busy time I can see how potentially the experience could have been different.

Room Tip: Pay the bit extra and get a 4th floor on the Adults side if you have no children
2 Thank Sue96
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I went with my husband for a week in September. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff were absolutely fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble and they were always very helpful - We had a fantastic time. Can definatley recommend the Land & Sea tour. We will definately be returning to Coconut Bay - hopefully with our family and grandchildren. Thanks again to all the staff at Coconut bay.

Room Tip: Even thought we were a couple we stayed on the Splash side which was no problem at all.
3 Thank Maiseypop
Chaguanas, Trinidad
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Today I was back at work and let me tell you, it was a very nostalgic day for me, think I'll take some time to get over (maybe never) all the special, warm and professional treatment belted out by ALL STAFF MEMBERS of the Coconut Bay family.
Accommodation was comfortable, except wish there were regular electrical outlets in the rooms (small stuff), food and drinks were exceptional and abundant.
Tremendous amounts of gorgeous scenery and yes, the hammocks, genius indeed!
So much love and appreciation for all of you. I fit right in and truly felt like a member of that family. Will be posting my pics soon, keep an eye out. Till then keep good and blessings to you all!
A BIG SHOUT OUT to the Food & Beverage crew - sweetie-pies like Mitch (the GOOD STUFF), Fatta, Dahlia, Wayne, Small J and not forgetting Sevee for all the love she puts into those sandwiches - Mr. Jeff Goldstein cherish your staff and take a bow!
Cannot leave out the energetic and funtabulous Entertainment Team - plenty love to Jason, Samantha, Marcellus and the rest.
As we would say here in Trinidad, a "bess" place to stay to have a "bess" time ever!
Love to all of you, hope to see you soon!
Neesha Gangar

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Neesha G
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Very poor place, rooms dirty and badly in need of a refurb. Food boring and repetitive, entertainment very poor as well.
Clothes ruined by bleach on the chairs in the main restaurant, on site nurse totally useless when needed. Some poor guy actually died in the activity pool one day and the staff didn't have a clue how to respond, there were 3 English nurses there on holiday that took control, if you are reading this you were incredible in your efforts to revive him. As has been mentioned numerous times on here the British Airways staff were an embarrassment at times (the same can be said for the ginger lad from Birmingham, the one stood at the pool bar mouthing off in a pathetic American accent and smoking cigars, yes you were a total laughing stock and 2 blokes wanted to silence you).
We've travelled the world and stayed in places 10 times better than this for half the money, if you think this resort is class and worth the money you need to travel more.
The only saving graces were Mitch and Fatta at the pool bar, great guys that lift the place, imagine how they'd be in a decent resort!
For the money we spent we could've gone to Egypt.....twice......and be guaranteed a fantastic holiday in a fantastic resort.
Lesson learnt, Egypt booked twice for next year already :-)

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank L S
new york
Reviewed September 27, 2012

but being honest, what I found was a resort with a beach that was unbathable. Gross seaweed lined the beach, and I was horrified. During those 7 days, I attempted to go in *once* but because of the seaweed engulfing me, I just couldnt do it. Not once, did I see children, and or their families venturing out there. Everyone seemed contented to just reside by the pool. I mean, really, there was no other option. I was stuck. I had chosen a hotel, with a horrible seaweed problem. Yes, they did try to clean it, with a gas emitting machine, but being honest, that took some of the joy, out of not being able to bathe in the ocean.
I paid more than I normally would for a vacation this time. I flew 6 hours to a country that I had heard and seen so much about. The welcome was lovely - rum punch on arrival and a courtesy ride to the hotel. Check in wasnt bad. Rooms, I felt were a bit dated but ok. Stayed on the Harmony side and on the first floor. Small balcony but nice walkout. Cant complain.
What made the trip bearable though, was the fact that the people hired by the hotel were wonderful. First kudos goes to the executive chef Eike Lauff (yes, I get everyone's name) who made me extremely happy while I was there. He was kind enough to make me and my family a fabulous and more traditional St Lucian meal (will try to download pics) to compensate for the meal I disliked in the Calabash restuarant. His words were, "You have not because you asked not". And I guess because I asked, he prepared a meal that was blissfully St Lucian. My sincerest thanks for the hospitality extended. He made me feel validated as a paying guest, and thats big for me.. I thank you.
Extra kudos also goes to security, Mr Joseph, waitresses, and waiter, Oneida, - in Calabash, (thanks so much for the mangoes!) Sherwin, Smiling Jill, but not so to dour Marion Smith, who gave me a hard way to go for a cup of hot chocolate (she said that there wasnt any more in the pantry) but who miracleously found some, 2 minutes later, when I informed her that I will have to ask her boss, the exective chef for some instead.
The internet here , is spotty at best; but its better in the main lounge, so dont bring your laptops if u have an 4G phone with internet access.. Use that instead. If u have an Ipad thats good too.
This place has a water slide, and multiple pools for the family with kids. A swim up bar etc. I didnt go in because as I said before, I travel to the caribbean, solely for the beach and the peace and quiet of relaxing on one. The peace and quiet I did have, as I found a hammock and cuddled with my kindle each day, but the beach was a no can do. Would have loved to have gotten in. Even when they cleaned it, there was still the seaweed under the water to contend with and yes, I had water shoes!
Entertainment at night could have been better. During the whole 7 days, they had one major show outside. that was awesome! Dinner and a show by the pool. But, but, but.....the entertainment in the foyer each nite was lacking. Having vacationed many years in the caribbean, I know what a good show is all about. There were no real shows. Singing with a guitar, whether done solely or as a group is not what most people want to see. One or two nites, yes, but almost every nite? All in all it was passable. I just went on my laptop or phone to get away...
I was able to get one trip in before hurricane Earnesto hit. Trip to Soufriere and snorkling at Jalousie Plantation hotel grounds. Good trip but make sure that u know, ahead of time, that u have to walk and that the tour guides(they dont tell you this that) they will stop at the outside parking lot of the hotel and its a long, narrow, winding and grueling walk. If u arent fit, I would suggest that u bypass this tour - just because of the plantation walk. If you buy a drink ($8.50) at the hotel, they will transport u back up as a courtesy. without the drink you walk, and its a gruelling walk in the very hot sun , so I suggest u get something, especially if u have kids. One drink will get an entire family back up to the tour bus. Sooooo, if u like to walk, go for this tour. the snorkling comes included, and I found it to be a good, as u saw fish everywhere.
Entire island closed down because of the hurricane (Earnesto). Yep, no stores open, nothing. No excursions from the hotel neither. They cancelled everything.. I guess they have never been to the big apple where nothing never sleeps, but when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I have to respect the fact that it is indeed a smaller island and that they do what is needed to be done to keep the islanders safe.
All in all, it was an average trip for me. I would rate it a 6 out of 10.

Room Tip: dont carry bulky laptops. use your phone with wifi accessiblity instead because of spotty internet i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank erlich5
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The trip was booked as a special treat to celebrate my recent retirement following many years in teaching. What joy to have a holiday in September spent with my husband and grown up sons and girlfriend in such a fabulous resort.
Virgin flight was great and transfer ideal...5 minutes in the minibus and we were greeted by friendly staff in the Reception area at Coconut Bay. Our three rooms were on the third floor of the Harmony block...all beautifully clean, decorated with flowers and a welcoming message from dear Ketra who worked hard to maintain such a high standard throughout our one week stay. She always greeted us with a smile and responded positively to any requests we made. Thank you Ketra!
The facilities are excellent...many beautiful clean pools to choose from. A favourite was the swim up bar with an interesting selection of drinks - alcoholic and non-alcoholic. My husband was rather keen on the flavour of his 'Bob the Builder'!! The boys appreciated the flow of the local beer aptly named Piton.
We were all very impressed by the wide choice of food in the buffet style restaurant at every mealtime. The evening meals had a change of theme each night and never failed to please us. It was especially good to taste foods that were local specialities...different fish, vegetables, fruit, a variety of flavourings with chicken, beef, pork, lamb and tastey roasts. We attended a reception offered by the management ...more beautifully presented nibbles and drinks....and suggested that it would be interesting to learn more about the local foods and their preparation from the chefs at the resort. Something to add to the daily activities programme perhaps??
We enjoyed learning more about life on the island through 'The Amazing Island Tour' travelling with Pete (the fisherman) and Mr Mikey (amazing driver) on the open backed jeep 'Terrain Roamer'. A brilliant trip which included a splash under the Toraille Waterfall and playing in the black sulphorous mud for health benefits!
We also went on a snorkelling trip on a fabulous new catermaran...beautiful clear waters with an array of colourful fish. Finally we booked a car plus driver (Claudius) to visit the Diamond Waterfall and lunch plus tour at The Fondoux Plantation. Another delightful day thanks to all of the interesting information from Claudius.
September was a perfect time to visit as the resort was relatively quiet. All staff are friendly and helpful and work so hard to to maintain high standards of cleanliness and comfort for everyone.
Local traders set up market style stalls on the resort twice weekly. They offer a wide range of colourful clothing, bags, jewellery, wood carvings and other tourist goods. They are friendly and avoid hasselling you to buy.
The sea breezes are so appreciated and it is pleasant to stroll along the beach which is kept remarkably clean despite the daily deposits of seaweed (looks like soft pine needles).
Yes, a truly fabulous family holiday to ease me into retirement. Thank you Coconut Bay and Virgin holidays staff.

Room Tip: Harmony, Third floor, 359 - 361 all comfortable, clean and very well maintained.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!