WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“The Reef Beach Huts” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Reef Beach Huts

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vieux Fort
The Reef Beach Huts
Powassan, Canada
“The Reef Beach Huts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

The location was excellent, right on the beach.The food was recommended to me by a gentleman from UK., who was staying at the Coconut Bay. He walked to The Reef everyday for his lunch. I found the food was very delicious and generous servings. I didnt stay here, I found the rooms to dark and I wanted my windows facing the ocean. The staff was so kind and thoughtful. she said to me, I know exactly what you want. She called another resort just down the road for me. which turned out to be perfect.
I highly recommend The Reef for its food and location

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Fayetteville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed here for six nights between Christmas and New Years and had an amazing trip! The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. The rooms are basic/rustic but perfect for a laid back, relaxing vacation. Breakfast every morning comes with a fresh fruit plate, eggs your way, choice of meats, juice, coffee or tea, and fresh baked baguettes, all served on the beach looking across the bay to the beautiful Maria Islands Nature Reserve. Their food selection is very good and all delicious (featured on food network) and very reasonably priced. Jolien, the owner, went out of here way to make sure were were able to enjoy our vacation. I would definitely recommend checking with the staff for anything you want to do on the Island as they can point you to the best people. I would return here for the next time that I came to St. Lucia!

About the Location: Vieux Fort is on the Southern end of St. Lucia and most of the "touristy" activities are on the Northern end. I would recommend renting a car for a couple of days if you want to explore some of the other sites (Ms. Leona, manager, got us a great deal from a local company). If you want a relaxed atmosphere with a beautiful beach to hang out on or windsurf/kiteboard this is your spot!

For the History Buff: Jolien has a Ph.D in Social History from her work on St. Lucia. She has lived on the island since '94 and recently published the first ever comprehensive record on St. Lucia "A History of St. Lucia."

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris K
Spring Lake, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I just stayed there for 11 days for kiteboarding and it was an AWESOME place. The beach huts are pretty basic but good. More for people who are going for a rustic experience. My boyfriend didn't have any trouble with mosquitos, but I did - however, I ALWAYS attract mosquitos when nobody else does for some strange reason. So if you are more inclined to attract mosquitos like me, bring LOTS of bug spray - I went through an entire can. Otherwise, it's not an issue and the huts are very clean and cozy. They were cleaned every other day. The noise people complain about was not an issue for us at all except for one night where there was a party next door and the music was suuuper loud, but that is not The Reef's fault.

The breakfast served every morning was really good and super filling. It was enough to hold us over until dinner. The cafe right there is a really great spot with a great view of the beach. The food is affordable and delicious, with great staff to boot. I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were so friendly and helpful, it was great.

We were lucky enough to have wind every day all day for our entire stay except for our last day. We were mainly on 9ms with a few days of 12 and 15 ms. The location is very picturesque with the twin islands right there. The kite/windsurf staff were also super helpful and friendly and would go out of their way to help others. Again, can't say enough good things about them. The only downside was that we kite more wake style and this spot was choppy, so it wasn't good for our style but it was good for air tricks.

Overall a great experience and I would love to return to The Reef!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kristen C
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights at the end of our holiday. The first night there was unfortunately an all night carnival near by with very very loud base. I didn't get an inch of sleep got grouchy and emailed the manager at about 5am. She came and found us the day after and refunded our nights stay which really made up for it as we were low on cash at this point. She also warned us of tropical storm chantal that was heading our way!

The beach is lovely and quiet and LITRALLY 5 steps away. The sea was the most beautiful and clear we saw the whole trip. The rescued island dogs and cats are really lovely to have around and breakfast is delicious served on the beach.

I would recommend these huts to people to people looking only for a place to sleep and have a cold shower, then spend the rest of the time on the beach as we did. I would also reccomend sending a quick email to find out if anything noisy is happening at your time of stay.

Overall I found the reef to be quite an exciting experience the three days we were there! The huts are a step up from camping but also very good value for money as breakfast is included. They had everything we needed and even saw us through a tropical storm!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank cosmicwars
Fort Saint James, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

this place was fantastic, staff was friendly and helpful, excellent spot for kiteboarding, long beach with cross on shore winds, awesome view from the beach as well. accommodation is not 5 star but very comfortable, would defiantly return to the reef for another vacation!

Room Tip: ask for the honeymoon suite!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Justen T
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

The reef is a nice place. Great for practised kitesurfers - its deficult if you are new. The food is great, the drinks are tasty and its just a fantastic place to hang out. My favourite place on Saint Lucia.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to St. Lucia to take kiteboarding lessons. She is a beginner and I am a beginner/intermediate. We made arrangements in advance with the owner of The Reef to take lessons for two hours per day during our stay. We specifically asked if there would be instructors and equipment available to give us lessons and were assured there would be.

We missed the first day of our four-day trip because our flight was cancelled. However, we spent three days in St. Lucia, most of it hanging out at the Reef, and only received a total of one hour of kiteboarding lessons. Most of the time, there was only one instructor available and he had other lessons. On the second and third day of our stay, the instructor took walk-up lessons even when we had already scheduled our lessons in advance, and so was not available when we showed up for our lessons.

I took lessons at one other place in the Caribbean (Exuma Kiteboarding in the Bahamas) and the experience was completely different. The owner, who is also a kiteboarder and instructor, worked hard to accommodate us and provide lessons whenever the winds were good. At The Reef, there were no instructors available most of the time, and the owner does not appear to be involved in running the kiteboarding center or the lessons.

If you are an experienced kiteboarder and do not need any instructions or equipment, the Reef is fine. The beach is nice, the cafe has a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere, and there are few other kiteboarders so you will mostly have the water to yourself. If, however, you would like to take lessons, I strongly recommend you go to another place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank J12943
Reef_StLucia, Manager at The Reef Beach Huts, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
I'm not really sure that it's necessary to have this correspondence on TripAdvisor, after we had it on email once already, with no further response from the client's side, but I guess we will simply share our response to him at the time, verbatim. Incidentally, this guest did not actually stay at The Reef Beach Huts but at Villa Caribbean Dream (which we recommended, and which he deservedly rated with 5 stars). "Dear J, thanks for your email. Sorry to hear you did not get the amount of lessons you wanted. It would have been nice if we could have given you at least enough hours to get you back on the water and practising on your own - under supervision if necessary - and your girl friend at least 3 or 6 hours so she would have been bitten by the kiting bug, even if not up and going quite all the way yet. As you noticed, the weather was not very conducive to teaching 8 or 9 hours straight every day with 2 instructors, which is what we could have, and would have done, if we'd had straight wind throughout. It's not uncommon for us to start at 7am and finish at 6pm on busy, windy days. Unfortunately, these 10 days over Christmas and the New Year is the busiest time of the entire year at the centre, and with rain showers killing the wind for hours on end pre-booked lessons (from before your arrival and like yours) got shuffled up into subsequent days. In the Caribbean in general, flexibility makes for efficiency. Wind-based water sports in particular always require a certain amount of flexibility on the part of everyone: practitioner, student and instructor. From your own email account, it's also quite clear that on a few occasions, you weren't quite ready to jump when the circumstances were right for a lesson, and then missed your chance. Through no fault of your own, you arrived a day late. That narrowed the window of opportunity down straightaway by about 25%, on what was already a very short stay. Then the rain got in the way - another 25% or so gone - and then you were late on two occasions when according to your own account, an instructor was in fact ready to take you out. I will check with the guys and try to see how we can still better optimize the opportunities for everyone to get their lessons in, but we had several other pre-booked lessons already on the chart. At the time when you asked, and I replied, that yes, we would have an instructor available for you, we did. I checked with the guys, and we had sufficient gaps in our schedule of pre-bookings to teach one raw beginner, and get another intermediate rider back up and going. As said, with your late arrival, rainy weather, and other mishaps in meeting the appointments, it simply did not happen as we would ALL have liked to have had it. It's a bummer, I can really understand that. We don't run a kite school and work hard all year to be our best, to then go out and spoil someone's kite holiday. But when you're battling with tight schedules, last-minute changes, uncooperative wind, imminent departures, and the need to accommodate other pre-booked students as well, stuff simply doesn't always work out. Kind regards, J."
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vieux Fort
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Villa Caribbean Dream
Villa Caribbean Dream
#1 of 7 in Vieux Fort

Been to The Reef Beach Huts? Share your experiences!