We stayed at The Reef Huts for four days in June and really enjoyed our stay. The huts are basic, wood-framed accommodations made of local stock. Our room had a simple, clean bathroom with hot and cold water, sink and shower. The hot water is actually solar-heated and worked as well as conventional. As it was June, it was a bit hotter than usual and we had to put the fans on high to stay comfortable without A/C. There are mosquito nets to keep the bugs at bay, which worked fine for me, but my fiance didn't have as much luck with them as I did. Obviously the reef is oriented toward those who don't mind roughing it a bit, or prefer it that way. Take advantage of the can of Baygon provided to prepare your room before you go to sleep.
The key to the Reef is the lovely setting right on the beach as well as the wonderful team at the cafe. We arrived after dark our first night and couldn't see what the beach was like. We struggled a bit with the heat the first night, but when we woke up the next morning we were stunned by the beauty of the beach and sea: bright sunshine, crystal clear blue water, white sand beach, palm trees, kite surfers setting up their gear. We spent two and a half days just enjoying the weather and the beauty of the surroundings. Sea kayaks are also available to rent for the non-surfers. There are also a few bodegas on the beach to protect you from the hot sun.
The staff were charming, personable and attentive and we instantly felt at home with them. Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, eggs to order, fresh hot bread, jam and butter. Simple but delicious, especially the wax apples, a local fruit that tastes a bit like star fruit. The menu is good value for both food and drinks and includes some favorite local dishes like Rotis and curries. Beers are 4-6 EC (1.50-2.50 US), Cocktails are 8-12 EC. I highly recommend their Sea Moss punch, made fresh from the yellow sea moss you'll see floating in the water. Add a shot of rum and it's even better. The cafe runs a tab so that you don't have to bother with credit cards or cash for the duration of the stay and we really liked the simplicity of this approach.
The Reef is also about a 10 minute drive from the second tallest lighthouse in the world standing at 730ft above sea level. The view from the lighthouse is simply breath taking with the Caribbean Sea on one side and the Atlantic Ocean on the other. You can even see the Island of St. Vincent about 21 miles away on a clear day. The staff can arrange a tour by taxi for 20USD. If you are particularly interested in the lighthouse, not just the view 200m short of it, be firm with the driver about taking you all the way to the lighthouse.
Other reviews have mentioned the noise from the adjacent properties. We were there during the week, so it was relatively calm, but even though we went to bed early (8.30-10pm) we didn't notice any sound from the parties while in our room, and I tend to be sensitive to noise. The airport was also no problem (again, it's the low season) as there were only a few flights a day clustered around 2-3pm. 15 seconds of noise and that's it.
Overall, we highly recommend the Reef for anyone more inclined towards a rustic, personal stay in the Caribbean and we expect to be back in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Looking for a place to stay? The Reef Beach Huts offers cheap & cheerful accommodation to kiters and non-kiters alike, in rooms located within a courtyard under the sea grape trees, on the roadside of the beach cafe. The rooms are secure, measure 4x4 meters, each room has its own shower and toilet and you can get two single beds or one double (140cm wide). There is no air-conditioning, but all rooms have electric fans. There is a kettle to make hot drinks but no fridge. There is free wireless internet which usually reaches into the rooms also. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your The Reef Beach Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reef Beach Huts Hotel Vieux Fort
- The Reef Beach Huts St. Lucia/Vieux Fort