“" Our home away from home "”
Review of Telegraph House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Stanley
Telegraph House
Ranked #2 of 9 Port Stanley B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stay at the Telegraph House at least twice a year. The owners are great. The food is excellent. The rooms are wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Mark H

Reviewed August 16, 2010

My husband and I booked a two-night getaway with our three-year-old daughter in Port Stanley and were very impressed with the building. Our room was beautiful, the bathroom modern and spacious, and the breakfast was delicious. The only fault we could find with this place was Vicci, the woman who runs it. When we booked the room, we had asked about having an evening meal there, as it's a service they offer to their guests. She asked (via e-mail) if 6:30 pm would be okay, and I replied that 7:30 would be better so that we could put our daughter to bed and have a nice meal just the two of us.

The day we were headed to Port Stanley I called to advise of our arrival time and she told me she hadn't noticed that I'd asked for a different time and that they were serving dinner at 6:30 sharp (far too early to put our toddler to bed) and wouldn't be able to accommodate us that night, but what about the next night? I said that would be fine, but then she for some reason decided that no, after all, that wouldn't work for her, dinner could ONLY be at 6:30, no later. Regarding our arrival time, she said that check-in was ONLY from 3 to 6 (I said we would be there late afternoon - "But you'll be there by six, right? Because check-in is from 3 to 6"). When we arriving, she "greeted" us unsmilingly, handed us the keys and had us sign a paper and indicated the door to our room. As regular visitors to bed and breakfasts, we were very surprised by her lack of hospitality - usually, because the hosts greet you in their homes, they treat you like a guest, even if you're paying. Not the case here.

Our breakfasts were delicious, no complaints there. I had the pancakes (light and fluffy) one morning, my husband had the Lake Erie perch (pretty good), and the second morning we both had the corned beef hash which was really tasty and served with a delicious cornmeal muffin. Special mention goes to the homemade strawberry jam (I think it was freezer jam - tasted like fresh strawberries).

After our first night there, we were gone the whole day but when we returned the room had been left untouched, no one had been in to make the bed or anything. That didn't really bother us, but it's the sort of thing one comes to expect staying at B&Bs in that price bracket.

Finally, after our departure, I received a terse e-mail informing us that our credit card had been charged for half the cost of a new "feather bed" (I think she must have meant a down mattress topper) because she claimed to have found a urine stain on it. I explained that my daughter had set an improperly-closed water bottle on the bed which leaked a bit (I touched the bed and it was slightly damp, but not soaked by any means), and I had meant to mention it when we checked out but had forgotten about it (I found out that my grandmother died that morning, a fact of which she was aware, and needless to say had other things on my mind). I said that If it smelled, it must have just been the smell of wet down, as I've noticed a peculiar smell when I've washed down duvets before, and the smell disappears once it's dry. Her very rude reply was "I am not a forensic scientist, it smelled like urine, I could not use a wet feather bed for that night’s rental. Too bad you did not mention this spill on your departure and it would have caused us all a lot less grief." (that's copied directly from her message). Not a very nice way to treat anyone, particularly a client.

If I ever learn that the Telegraph House is under new management I might go back there, although it wasn't great value for money ($165 per night, plus an extra $40 to make up the single pull-out couch for our daughter - we ended up bringing a child's air mattress for her - which is steep for a destination like Port Stanley).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
18  Thank DKG80
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We arrived in Port Stanley, tired and hungry, late in the day. We were unimpressed with another B&B we checked out -- one we had first found on a website (clearly websites can be deceiving) -- so we took a chance and looked around. Thankfully, the Telegraph House had a free room. The owners couldn't have been more accomodating. The room and bathroom were spotless, the comfortable bed decked in luxurious white linens. A menu with a delicious assortment of hot breakfasts greeted us the next morning (included in the price). We were served on a wide, beautifully restored, covered gallery that overlooked a well-tended, sunlit garden and the harbour across the street. What a splendid start to anyone's day! The owners have taken care of every detail to ensure their guests are comfortable. It's a business that is clearly a labour of love for them.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank styleandsubstance
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Telegraph House is one of those places that you want to return to. It's cozy and warm...with a relaxed elegance. We have stayed there twice and both times we left already planning to return the following year. The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated...and the bathrooms are huge and spotless. Breakfast in the morning is a delight...enjoyed on the large veranda. Instead of the usual...one size fits all breakfast...the innkeepers at Telegraph House provide you with a menu with numerous choices from perch and eggs to delicious pancakes and fruits in season. We have stayed in many B&B's and this ranks as one of the best!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Stanley
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Saint Thomas
Idlewyld Inn & Spa
#1 of 41 in London
Westminster
Hampton Inn by Hilton London

Been to Telegraph House? Share your experiences!