“I'll be back”

Port Stanley Beach Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Stanley
Port Stanley Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Stanley
Hamilton, Canada
“I'll be back”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The wife and i stayed here on Sat dec 15 as we were in town visiting relatives. We were very impressed with the hotel. The room (#6) was spotless as was the entire hotel. I feel weird saying hotel as feels more like a bed and breakfast. The location is perfect as you are right by the beach (lake erie). The hotel is Greek family owned and they are very hands on. The restaurant is on-site and very nice with great food. The portions are large and well priced. The room charge was $80 which includes a hot breakfast (finally found eggs benedict). The rooms have an old rustic charm which the wife loved. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will surely be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #6 and you just open the back door to the parking lot if you are a smoker.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robert w

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2012

While there are many wonderful hotels in Port Stanley, this is a perfect place for the discerning budget conscious traveller.

You can see from the photos that the rooms are visually as attractive as a good B&B or boutique hotel. Beautiful polished wide pine board floors, warm paint colour, dark but not heavy classic furniture and beautiful oriental-style rugs. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms well designed. What you can't see is that they are spotless and very well maintained.

For the price, the heating and air con, lighting, storage and beds are way more than adequate, the water pressure excellent and there is lots of hot water. And a hair dryer. There are no phones but the WiFi is very good. There are no in-room coffee making supplies but the restaurant opens at 8 am, Sweet Beach a stone's throw away opens at 7 am and the Macs Milk downtown is open earlier than that. The breakfasts are VERY generous - you can have anything from the breakfast menu but steak and perch.

While it is true that the only room with a good view of the beach is the penthouse, and the other rooms open onto a parking lot or the patio of the restaurant, only the Port Stanley landmark Mackie's restaurant stands between you and the Lake Erie beach, a good half kilometer stretch of public beach kept very tidy and another couple of kilometers of private beach front for walking at the shoreline. Some rooms and the wonderful patio have a good view of the protected dune area and the butterfly feeding area planted with milkweed.

During the week, in season, it is very quiet and even on the weekend, the restaurant closes at ten and most people have gone home.so it is a very peaceful place.. Off season it is wonderful!

It is the staff that make the place most special. Friendly and efficient, the hotel and restaurant people make you so welcome and are very accommodating. Need more hangers, or another luggage track? Of course. After a few repeat stays we found the extras we needed were supplied when we checked it. And our favourite table in the restaurant was reserved for us for breakfast.

Of course, we try to be thoughtful guests. We don't smoke in the rooms, we tip (I can't believe people don't tip housekeeping staff! They work harder than bellmen!) and we try to keep our room as neat and tidy and clean as we would our own home.

The bird-watching at Port Stanley is amazing. Hawk Cliff is nearby where you can watch hawks and eagles migrating, and there are interesting shorebirds and amazing flocks of turkey vultures and gulls and terns on the beach. Some of these are visible from the patio. And I can't tell you how many wonderful photos of the birds, the water, sunrise, sunset and fall colours I have.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank apoint2012
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I, along with another couple have twice stayed at The Port Stanley Beach Hotel. Our first visit was much better than our second, unfortunately. During our second visit just a week ago, our friends were placed in a room where there was no way they could control the air conditioning unit, the door was very difficult to open and close, and the toilet did not function properly. Their room abutted the bar patio outside where party-goers gather at night and guests gather for breakfast starting at 8:00 a.m. The noise was annoying and quite evident through the thin walls. Also, the chairs in their room were badly stained and dirty! None of the four different rooms we stayed in has a telephone, Internet access, or coffee maker. The hair dryers need replacing as they were poorly functioning, switching from high to low at random.
However, one of the most irksome and annoying issues occurred when we decided to have dinner at the hotel. The waitress told our party of four that included in the dinner special we had a choice of salads: garden salad, Greek salad, or Caesar's salad. After we had ordered our meal, another waitress came by to tell us the first waitress made a mistake. If we wanted a Greek salad, which is what we all asked for, we would have to pay an additional $4.95, and were advised that we could have one of the other salads. We opted for the Caesar's salad. When I asked this waitress if I might speak to the manager, she said, "He isn't here right now, but he's on his way in. I will tell him to talk to you when he gets here." I later called this young girl over to ask further questions, she said she was busy, but would return soon. She then stood at the bar and talked with other workers. After we'd finished our meal, she came back to the table; I asked her if the manager had arrived yet. She said she was the manager then. I attempted to let her know that we thought the restaurant should have honoured our first requests to establish good customer relations. She said our waitress was new and had not been properly trained, but offered no recompense for the error. When our bills arrived, we noticed that we had been charged an additional $1.00 for the Caesar's salad, not unreasonable, but truly annoying; this had NOT been pointed out to us when we were asked if we wanted to change our orders. None of this needed to happen if the restaurant had only clearly posted the policy on the menu.
While the rooms are reasonably priced throughout the week at $90.00/night, the cost for renting on Friday-Sunday is exorbitant at $149.00/night given their condition. While many of the dining staff were friendly and helpful, but the one waitress who called herself the manager was patronizing.
I know we won't return to this hotel ever again. I want to warn others of our experiences so they can choose wisely before they book.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 9!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank Michele B
Kincardine
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We visited Port Stanley and area from Kincardine, ON as a romantic little get-away trip.
We stayed at The Beach Hotel/Buccaneer on a Thursday evening and left Friday morning mid June. School children were not out for summer vacation yet and due to being mid week, it was quiet. Our room was located on the main floor abutting a small walkway but there were hardly any people over at Mackie's - the Amusement Center and restaurant next door. We brought a couple of our own bevereges with us, and enjoyed sitting on the deck chairs on the small patio off our room, watching colourful kites fly on the beach.
From the moment my husband checked us in, the staff greeted him warmly by his name and mine too. Thursday was steak night and for $10.99 you got a really nice salad, perfectly cooked steak and delicious mashed potatoes drizzed with butter. Yum! We attended the Port Stanley festival theater where again the locals were very friendly people and it was within easy walking distance to get there. After the production we were asked to enjoy the opening night after-party of delicious hors d'oerves and wine and mingle. The weather that day was a balmy 24 degrees.
Breakfast the next day at the Beach Hotel was complimentary. We didn't know if it just would be toast and coffee or tea. Imagine our surprise when the waitress came over and greeted us again by name which surprised us as we hadn't met her before. She told us we could have anything on the very extensive breakfast menu - with exception of the Perch and steak. No problem! Our meals came right away and the things we chose were cooked perefctly AND PLENTIFUL. WoW! The cook also added a little apple fritter she made only for the staff, but for us as a token treat as well. That was so nice of her! We would go back to this hotel and restaurant in a heart-beat. It was excellent value. Pristine clean room. Comfortable bed. Quiet. Very nice people! We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Rules for this hotel/motel are posted in each room's binder. The owners are in attendance if you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank M B
ontario
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The location of this hotel is almost on the beach - the name is not misleading, but it should be noted that most of the rooms open on to the main road sidewalk or on to a public walkway - the rules and regulations concerning this are readily available in the room (e.g you are not allowed to sit outside).

Checking in is not welcoming - firstly there is no indication outside that you have to go through the "Bucaneer Restaurant". Once inside you have to go through a door at the back into a dingy check in office. You then have to ring a bell and wait, and wait and wait.

The room was super clean, and although it had been recently decorated, very tastefully, the furniture was old and battered and the carpet was threadbare. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were beautifully clean. There was a fridge in the room, but no coffee/tea making facilities or a telephone.

The "Bucaneer Restaurant" was a good, clean, family style restaurant with a varied menu.

We stayed mid week in June and it was quiet, and we had a relaxing stay. However, be careful, it would appear from the number of special parking areas for motorcycles that this particular area of Port Stanley is a draw for bikers with the beach and many restaurants in the vicinity. It is my opinion that being so close to the beach it could be very noisy in the summer season and at weekends - but we did not experience this. Also with the rooms opening up on to the sidewalks would mean being extra cautious about coming and going from your room. Also you cannot park your car outside your room because that area belongs to the restaurant next door; the hotel parking is common with the Bucaneer Restaurant around the other side of the building.

I would class this hotel as average - would I stay there again? - probably not because there are other places in Port Stanley which would be more to our tastes. Would I recommend it to anyone? - yes I would if they are looking for somewhere on a busy beach and looking for the action!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank euchreman
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 21, 2012

. Drove up from Baltimore to find a well managed small privately owned " family " hotel
. If you want a great meal...you should go to a Greek restaurant because THEY KNOW FOOD! ( just a fact of life and I grew up in one)
. Owner and his wife personally "work" the kitchen and entire operation. Apparently he's successfully built some very innovative restaurant operations mixing the themes of collectable classic cars, food & drink
. VERY well trained waite staff - faaast, personable, fun, yet professional. Jen was awesome
. stayed in room 5 - (the last room available)..I.lucked out to get it (cancellation) on Victoria day weekend.
. So clean you could eat off the floor ( IF that's your thing). Bed, was crisp and super comfortable. Manager Patricia rescued me - forgot my razor... she had it all !
. I expected the typical Continental breakfast .... OMG I could order anything on a very big menu. Oh noooo, no paper napkins - instead, I had to live with linen & linen table cloth while outside sitting under an umbrella looking towards the beach - .an unexpected classy surprise
. Hotel located next to world famous Mackies On the Beach (Operating since the 30's) - another great mom & pop eatery ( Their Orangeade & fries... a must ).
.GT's is a must visit next door with live music, well organized beach volleyball...even though its a bar its family friendly and very well run as well.
. The beach is super clean and water quality was phenomenal supported with the fact that Port Stanly supplies St Thomas & London their drinking water too.
. Not a lot of rooms - book in advance. When checking in leave luggage in your car, go thru restaurant to Hotel Desk THEN unload your car right in front of your room.
. Almost forgot, Lots of historic art / photos decorating the walls. Stork Club - north Americas Largest cabaret ballroom from the '30's , Incline railroad, ships of Port etc very nice
. 3rd hotel I've stayed at with no phone...makes sense -everyone has a cell now & who wants to get nailed for local or long distance calls....times are a changing. Instead I appreciated the wifi & DVD player.
Prices compared to the big chains and other local B & B's ? a best bet and especially being on the beach.
.I travel a lot & will definitely return. NExt time, It'll be the penthouse booked well in advance.
.Happy traveling everyone. Alex Karavasilis from Baltimore Maryland

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Alex K
Ontario's Near North, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Well, My husband and I stayed overnight here after reading all the reviews on trip advisor. Usually we stick to chain hotels that have a good reputation but thought we would try this place as there are no chain hotels/motels in the area.
Over the phone without being able to see the hotel we had the choice of beach side with an obstructed view of the beach or patio side. I chose patio side thinking that the obstruction, which is an arcade, would be noisy. When we showed up the staff are VERY friendly and the woman showed us to the room and upon entering there is a strong musty smell from the airconditoning, I assume. There is a huge cooking pan on the one table due to the airconditioning unit dripping. The room was nicely decorated. I found it very strange that there was no phone in the room? First time for that. I opened the sliding patio door blinds to find a table of four people, literally right outside our door ! I would say, one foot away was an entire outdoor patio of approximately 40 tables?
There were no other rooms available in the hotel or the area so we hoped the musty smell would get better if we aired it out. It never got better. It Was a very strange room. After 9 pm you can only get in and out of your room via the patio door, no one was at the hotel if you had a question or concern. The woman who showed us to our room said, if there is a problem there is a number in the book in the drawer.......oops no book in the drawer, but you shouldn't have any problems anyway??? huh?
As it turns out the children down the hall were noisy and out in the hallway until approx 11:30pm......but there was no one to call as we had no number and no phone. The bed was super noisy and not very comfortable. You sit on the end of it to watch t.v and the top end of the bed was off the floor !
The breakfast is included in the price of the room, good deal. The breakfast was very good. I wish I had the same experience as some of the other guests, they seemed to have enjoyed it ! I can see the possible appeal of the place being close to the beach etc, BUT I was not happy and would not go back if in the area again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Westminster
Courtyard London
Courtyard London
#23 of 41 in London

Been to Port Stanley Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!