“food”
Review of Dunure Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunure
Dunure Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Dunure B&B and Inns
beith
“food”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Food was very disappointing. I always have the 'scallop/black pudding starter when we go anywhere and this was the smallest ever. It was ONE scallop sliced into 4 .Poor value for £6.50(?). And the lobster was frozen not fresh, and tiny. Lukewarm FROZEN chips(why?). Haggis balls were dry and shrivelled, more like crumb balls the size of olives, and the batter on the haddock looked lovely, but wasn't cooked inside,and was soggy .For the price? nah. However, the presentation was very pretty, just think chef should try TASTING the stuff now and again. Had been here many moons ago before it was 'done up' and they say one should never go back and in this case I agree. The situation is very special and the outside looks the part, but we found the place plastic and soul less, its lost its little fishing harbour ambience, what a shame.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank carolyn m
Helen H, Manager at Dunure Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
You should have complained about the food at the time especially if you felt the fish was undercooked. We could then have addressed the problem.

I would strongly disagree that the Inn is "plastic and soul less" -you will see from the other reviews that many others also disagree with you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Penicuik
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We came across this wee place by accident. What a find!
I've finally found a place in this country that serves squat lobsters. And not just that - very FRESH squatties, perfectly prepared. My wife had the mackeral - and she was gobsmacked by the quality of her meal as well.

This is a really nice wee pub. When we went, there weren't many customers and it was a sunny day so that we could eat outside. I was a bit puzzled to see other customers opting for burgers when such wonderful seafood was on offer. Ah well, that's their misfortune.

If you like seafood and happen to be in the area, you really must try this place.
And it's excellent value for money!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Graham W
stockton on tees, cleveland
Reviewed September 29, 2012

After tryng a little sea fishing from the harbour and walking along the beach, we decided to try the inn's delicious sounding menu. For the food we ordered and the fine tastes the expensive bill at the end was well worth it. My partner started with the half lobster, and I with the sea bass and black bream. It was gorgeous to look at and even better to taste. We both had desert which only complemented the main meal, and I would highly recommend the rhubarb mousse with ginger and rhubard & custard ice cream. The hospitality was brilliant and were made to feel as if at home immediately. As for returning for another meal, would love to time and time again.

Room Tip: Although didn't stay overnight, the views from this inn would make it a dream to stay there.
2 Thank Jo-ann L
Glasgow
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Booked a table for dinner because my husband loves seafood. Dining out is always a gamble for me as I need a gluten and dairy free meal. This was no problem. Chef came to talk to us about the menu and offered to adapt any choice so that it was suitable for me. Hubby had scallops on black pud then lobster, I had vegetable tempura with a cornflour batter then cod with a delicious dressing and saute potatoes. As an alternative to ice cream I could have apple sorbet. I came away feeling I'd eaten just as good a meal as any diner in that night. Well done Dunure!

2 Thank Moosemad
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Had a lovely lunch here with the family on a day out exploring the Ayrshire coast. Great service, fantastic location with sea view and excellent food - the open seafood lasagne was a real highlight. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JaneRamsay5761
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

stumbled across dunure inn by chance as we were just having a drive on the scenic road and i was bowled over when we stepped inside.i think the chef saw us coming and opened the door for us which was very welcoming and it didnt stop there, it was very clean and well furbished to my taste, we opted to go to the dining area straight away where it was quiet as we had a baby and a toddler who chats everybody in sight to death. the waitress was very friendly and very attentive not hovering,i had bacon cheese double burger with bbq sauce, husband had gammon steak with a big slice of pineapple, mum in law had haddock chips and peas,both the waitress and the chef came over to ask if our food was ok,we were all impressed all round and i have to say we all are really fussiest eaters ever!!!!! we are planning to come back and stay a few nights and enjoy the cuisine again.my only critism however is positive, when i went to change my baby in baby changing area i noticed this is where highchairs are kept/stacked?surely you can find somewhere to store them just for simple things like healthy and safety as i dont think every staff will wipe/disinfect the chairs upon request? and anyway its not a pretty sight. took the toddler to the female wc,the one on far right does not flush?i didnt report this at the time as i didnt want to make a fuss,but thought it may help if you take this on board in the future.and once again thanks for great meal

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mo w
Helen H, Manager at Dunure Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your review and comments.

The high chairs were in temporary storage in the disabled toilet and are now back in their usual spot out of sight.
It 's the left hand ladies cubicle which requires a certain technique to flush at the moment as we are awaiting a part to repair it. Staff do check and flush it regularly at the moment as an interim measure.
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My wife and I spent a week near saltcoats and decided to have a drive down the coast, We stopped off in Dunure for a break in driving, looking at the Dunure inn we thought what a nice place, we carried on down the coast and on our return we went back to the Dunure inn for some Dinner, I wish we hadnt to be fair, I had the mussles for a starter which were fine, my wife had the pate, again ok but when the main course came it was really not to the standard I would expect from this sort of place, I had the T bone steak, Asked for it medium rare, the outside of the steak was very grey and didnt taste very nice at all, my wife had chicken stuffed with Haggis, The chicken was so dry, really not a nice meal at all as far as the main course goes, nearly £6 for a large glass of wine too, on the whole I wouldnt want to go back, A shame because the setting was so nice,

2 Thank jason G
Helen H, Manager at Dunure Inn, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I wish you had said at the time that you were unhappy with your food.
We can't do anything to address the complaint if we're unaware of it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunure
Savoy Park Hotel
Western House Hotel
Turnberry Road Suites
Turnberry Road Suites
#1 of 1 in Maidens

Been to Dunure Inn? Share your experiences!