“Big Portions, Best Service.”
Review of Dunure Inn

Dunure Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Dunure B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I would highly recommend the DUNURE INN for a meal it has new owners. Its big portions, well presented and tastes brilliant. The staff are really good and are always there to look after you. The Chef came out and went round the tables asking for feedback on the meals served and I never heard one bad comment. Im definitely going back.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed November 7, 2011

The best setting on the South West coast finally has a menu worthy of the location. Loads of fresh seafood, locally sourced meat and wine list that doesn't have a bottle over £20.00. The service was very fast and friendly and I was especially pleased to be offered a jug of simple tap water as we sat down. It's a free gesture that is offered world wide that starts the meal off on the right foot: more establishments could learn from this.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Excellent service, attentive staff and the best meal of our 24 days in England and Scotland.

Recommend!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Casuba0505
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Over the years we have dropped in from time to time and this was a delighful place to visit. After a break of a few years we experienced the new Dunure Inn and were greatly saddened by the loss of character and direction we experienced. This is delightful village with wonderful views and walks, however the Inn has tried to yuppify and then forgotten about it. Overgrown fish tank, tatty umbrellas, and distinct a feeling of neglect.

The restaurant was trying to be too high class and the food was pricey and less than plentiful. The decor was tired and confused, neither old world or new Scotland!

The venue needs to find its way and match the surroundings - refreshing, friendly, unspoilt and welcoming.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rossergruffydd
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I took my wife to the Dunure Inn for her Birthday for a overnight stay in July 2011. The setting was absolutley beautiful and as we arrived I thought we had made a great choice . As we entered I was informed that our room was not yet ready, so we bought a drink and sat down for a natter. A couple of hours past without any member of staff approaching us about our room so I again asked a member of staff about checking in and was informed that staffing levels were insufficient, information i heard frequently on my stay. During my stay I found some members of staff, and there was not that many, rude and aggressive (not all) and when I complained this just seemed to make some members of staff more aggressive. The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable but the food was poor and the customer service was terrible. The disappointing thing about this hotel was the majority of staff seem very uninterested and could not care less if this placed closed down for good, which I am sure will happen in the near future.. Will never go back to this hotel, horrible experience...HAPPY BIRTHDAY..... NOT

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garyfrancest
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We happened upon this inn by chance and thought we would break-up our journey back to glasgow, so enquired about a room for one night, we were offered a large room with en-suite and small lounge tv area for the same price as a standard double as it was the only room left. We were delighted with both the room and pleasant service we received. we dined that night in the resturaunt and the food was excellent (soup and sea bass for me , prawns tempur and rib eye steak for my husband) wine list was also good and well priced. The negative views on this site seem to be mainly about serving times and staff from over a year ago I can only say as we found it clean, pleasant, great value, fab location, great food and polite pleasant staff. We would recommend to our friends and intend to return.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cathk01
Reviewed June 9, 2011

After a wonderful day of visiting the old castles and other sites in South Ayrshire, we decided to end with Dunure Castle, but were too hungry and had to eat first. It had been a while since I had been to the Anchorage, but had fond memories and decided it would be perfect. Boy was I wrong. We had to go to the bar because the dining room is not open at that time, but the menu did say the lunch menu was served until 6:30. It was well before 6:30 so we thought this was great.
We were a party of 6 adults and two children needing highchairs. I asked about the highchairs and the female behind the bar pointed to a cupboard and said with no enthusiasm, they are in there. So we got them ourselves. Wth this being a bar, it was compleley unsuitable for my elderly mother or the two toddlers to suffer through a meal at these low tables. Very kindly, another woman who apparently worked there offered a table in the dining room. But we were still kept in limbo for a long time, until I asked if we were supposed to go on down. I was very rudely told no by they first woman, we had to order up here and then only go down when the food was ready. then I asked if they had a child's menu and she listlessly gestured to the bar where the menus were laying. We all got together and made our choices while being observed by the woman behind the bar, about 10 feet away. then we waited.........eventualy she shouted over that we had to come there to make our order. We honestly did not know that.
We all felt distinctly unwelcome and would have voted with our feet if we had not been so hungry. It was awful for my relatives from Atlanta, GA to see this. They did not understand how someone could be so rude when we had only innocently walked in the door expecting to get something to eat.
When the food was ready, we were able to go to our table in the dining room, and then the woman explained that you are supposed to book these tables in advance because they are too short staffed, she was going to have to go up and down the stairs to make sure we were ok. It was a feeble apology and, again, where did it say this?

To top it off , the food was mediocre.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Bailey1318

Been to Dunure Inn? Share your experiences!