“Small is Beautiful”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Carrbridge
Cheshire, England
“Small is Beautiful”
Reviewed July 21, 2006

My wife and I spent 5 nights at Fairwinds on a B&B basis in July 2006. We chose it on the strength of the Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. We have previously stayed several times in a 4 star B&B in Aviemore cosing about £70 a night as compared to Frairwinds as a small hotel at £100 a night. For the extra money you get a better breakfast and more room space. Carrbridge is a quiet refuge away from the relative hustle and bustle of Aviemore but is within easy reach of local and regional attractions. We liked the friendly and unobtrusive hosts at Fairwinds plus the wealth of wildlife in the grounds - birds, red squirrels, ducks, ducklings, rabbits and even a deer. We had one evenin g meal which was very good. On our next visit to the Highlands we intend to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Scenic06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Glasgow
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My Girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Fairwinds hotel as i had seen so many good reviews on Trip advisor. I booked the 2 night "Romantic" package which included breakfast and dinner both nights, as well as a bottle of sparkling wine, chocolates and flowers on arrival. I arrived with the intention of proposing to my girlfriend, and was not left dissapointed by the beautiful sorroundings and wildlife. Prior to arriving i had emailed Allison and Lindsay on numerous occassions, stating my intentions and they were nothing but helpful and accomodating in making our stay as memorable and enjoyable as possible. Personal touches such as organising a special delivery of flowers from the local florist, complimentary drinks to celebrate after i had popped the question, and presenting us with a couple of homemade muffins with candles in at breakfast on our second morning (it was my fiance's birthday) made our stay all the more enjoyable. The food was great (all homemade i think) and the room we had was very spacious with a massive bed.
I have raved about the hotel and the hospitality we received since i got back home, and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is looking for a personal touch in fantastic surroundings.

• Stayed July 2006
Reviewed July 1, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Fairwinds because of reviews we saw on Trip Advisor and we were very happy we did. It is a small hotel with an intimate setting, and very peaceful, beauftiful surroundings in the little town of Carrbridge. Carrbridge is very close to Aviemore but has a sincere, genuine atmosphere, not row upon row of modern ski shops like Aviemore.

In Carrbridge we felt we were in Scotland, not Mammoth or Aspen (USA ski towns). The hotel and service are exactly as Alison described in a response to a previous review. As we sat at breakfast or dinner, in the dining pavillion, we could see wildlife out the windows (lots of windows)-birds, red squirrels, cotton tails, and geese. My husband especially was excited about the red squirrels on the Giant Sequoia (Wellingtonia, I think it is called there.) We also enjoyed learning more about Scotland from Alison and Lindsay, and appreciated their friendliness and humor. They knew when to leave us alone, and when we were interested in some company. When we needed something they were only a bell ring away.

The rooms were quite nice, but not extravagent. The food was very, very good. The service was excellent as well. The price was reasonable, and for the best deal, email or call Alison or Lindsay. That's what we did and we stayed two nights. After a day of hiking we enjoyed the informal atmosphere, great food, and a walk around town and through the woods and local cemetary. What can I say-we were interested in genealogy. The attention you receive here is much more personal than a big hotel, so if you want to blend in with the crowd and just be a number, a larger hotel would be more to your liking, I suspect.

• Stayed June 2006
Chester, England
Reviewed June 9, 2006

Only a short visit this time, but the accommodation, food and friendliness are second to none. The electric pepper mill is out of commission, but the friendliness of Alison and Lindsay more than made up for it. Breakfasts are stunning, just what is needed after a walk through the surrounding woods. Another visit is needed soon, to get a better look at the red squirrels. This is a stopping place to treasure in an area full of competing small and large hotels.

Reviewed May 22, 2006

We ended up staying in Carbridge because we could not get a room in Aviemore. It ended up being a great move. The B&B is quite nice. The room was clean and quiet. Our hostesses were excellent. They could not have been nicer. Both breakfast and dinner were very good--especially the dessert at dinner.

The town itself is very small. We could walk to a couple of local pubs. This was fun as we saw some great "local color".

Reviewed April 25, 2006

Where do you choose to stay? A question I asked myself in trying to select a hotel for a short break in the Highlands. Being a first time user of TripAdvisor I was a little unsure of whether or not the wonderful reveiws that the Fairwinds Hotel receives could be justified.

Booking purely on the basis of previously posted reviews and now having stayed there, these reviews are justified. If you're looking for hosts who take the time and trouble to make you feel very welcome, ensure the hotel is spotless and provide fantastic food, all at a very reasonable price then do believe what you read. My wife and I were very impressed, and will be extremely happy to return sooner rather than later.

Lindsay and Alison provide a personal touch that large hotels don't even get close to, and all in a beautifully relaxed setting.

Try the Fairwinds, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 20, 2006

We have been staying here for the last 3 years and Lindsey and Alison are superb hosts. The food is wonderful, the hotel is immaculate and the setting is so peaceful and quiet, yet easily accessible.

I almost don't want to say how brilliant it is as I would love to keep it to myself!

• Stayed April 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrbridge
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
#2 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Carrbridge Hotel
Carrbridge Hotel
#3 of 3 in Carrbridge

Been to Fairwinds Hotel? Share your experiences!