“Very welcoming and very dog friendly”
Review of Cairn Hotel

Cairn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Carrbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We thought it was a fabby place and stopped for a drink and a bite to eat after a long walk with our dog. We got a really friendly welcome and our dog got a biscuit on arrival and departure :o). Very cosy in the bar area witha fantastic open fire, food was nice and good value for money and beer was scrummy as well.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryn26

Reviewed October 15, 2009

This is strictly a review on the Bar/Restaurant.

I have been in to the Cairn several times before whilst on holiday in recent years without any issues. This week I took my family for drinks and an evening meal. A rather surly barmaid eventually served me and charged a rather high price for the 4 drinks, which I politely queried. The curt response was "Do you want a receipt ?". I declined, but underwhelmed by the service, we decided not to eat there. On leaving, I queried the cost of the drinks with the owner (?) at the bar. We had been overcharged almost 50%. Mistakes can be made, and the owner apologised, and refunded difference.
Point is that the staff need adequate training in using a till and dealing with customers in an hospitable manner.

We had a really good meal at La Taverna in Aviemore instead.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank StevieBC
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Stayed here on business for 3 nights in September with a colleague. First of all the positives, Carrbridge is a lovely little village with some great scenery. The owners and staff are very friendly and can't do enough for you. It has free Wifi* and the hotel/rooms were very clean. The bar is popular with locals and has a pool table and generally a very good atmosphere with some good beers on tap at a reasonable price.

*The wifi is supplied via a company and you have to obtain cards with access codes which allow you 1 hours free wifi. These can be obtained as required.

The downsides, the food is simple but typical of rural hotels. The bulk of the main menu obviously isn't fresh (out the freezer) but is well cooked and tasty while being reasonably priced. The daily specials (although they never changed the 3 nights we stayed!) were obviously cooked in bulk and heated as required but these were tasty. The breakfasts, while well cooked and tasty are small as breakfasts go but overall I have no complaints about the food. I feel that adding something like a home-made burger would be beneficial as these are simple to make and require minimal ingredients and would greatly boost the menu on offer. Some of the rooms don't have ensuite toilets which can be mildly annoying but we appreciate that space is at a premium. TV reception is poor and generally I was only getting channels 1 to 3 and BBC News in my bedroom but again, you are out in the wild and reception is ropey so not the hotels fault.

Overall we were happy with our stay, particularly the good service from the staff and owners which does make a difference. Nobody likes dour staff! We would stay here again. There are a few little touches which would make a difference like adding home-made burgers or similar but these are minor! Many thanks!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Windle84
Reviewed August 28, 2009

We stayed here for four nights in August and highly recommend this hotel. The rooms were clean, warm and comfortable and came complete with FREE wifi - 5-star establishments take note!

The bar meals were simple but of good quality and reasonably priced. There was a choice between specials of the day and the regular menu. I particularly enjoyed two of the specials – home-made lentil soup and a home-cooked venison sausage casserole. The kids were especially keen on the scampi. There was a choice of two real ales, which was a bonus, and these seemed to change regularly. It was refreshing to find that all the ales on offer were well-kept and came from either the local Cairngorm brewery, Orkney or other small breweries in Scotland.

This is not a large hotel but more like a quality inn. The bar staff and owners were friendly and the customers seemed to be a mix of locals and visitors from various countries. This was an ideal base for our visit to this beautiful area of The Highlands. One word of warning - the hotel was full during our August visit, so I would advise booking ahead if you are planning on visiting during the school holidays. We were glad we did as we’d heard about others who’d had to be turned away.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank WorldWandererUK
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We spent a night here in May 2009, part way through quick a Highland break, and found the place ideal.
A wee homely bar with nice locals, a quiet bedroom and even though we were early bedded we hardly heard a sound from the bar downstairs, and a good breakfast. Add to that the owners and staff who made us feel at home, a warm and comfy room, and some nice local beers and what else do travellers want? And it was great value for money, something lacking in some the Highland hotels we've stayed at!
I read some of the reviews for the Cairn today and felt I should add ours, particularly in view of the comments from some of those who complain (see others on the review page) about this kind of small town hotel, who should bear in mind that they do not have regular eaters every day which the staff can gear up for but can still supply wholesome food at short notice. Maybe they should have made their way to Inverness and paid Inverness restaurant prices.

We'll be back, maybe at the New Year if there's any entertainment in the town?

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jekenkit
Reviewed August 14, 2009

After having researched a few b&b's, hotels etc in the Aviemore region, I decided I would give the Cairn Hotel a call. We only needed to stay one night. My husband our seven year old Daughter, my fourteen year old Son and Myself. We needed a family room. I had left the booking a bit late and as it was peak season I was rather doubtful, also only wanting the room for one night threw up a few problems too as many hotels etc. have a policy of 2 - 3 minimum night booking. The proprietors are both very pleasant people who have employed a very friendly team. The hotel is clean with an extremely relaxed atmosphere. We had an evening meal which was delicious and very filling. The breakfast too was of equal standard. I have had travelled quite a bit and stayed in many hotels. This small family run hotel will always stand out in my memory for all the right reasons. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank cromergirl
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights and received excellent scottish hospitality! Very good value for money, food was lovely and our motorbike was also made welcome with undercover parking. Will hopefully be back!! & will certainly recommend to other biking friends.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vonlewma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrbridge
The Boat Hotel
6 mi away
Eriskay
Eriskay
#13 of 28 in Aviemore

Been to Cairn Hotel? Share your experiences!