“Bright, clean, modern”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Woolsington
Geneva, Switzerland
“Bright, clean, modern”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This was the second time I have stayed in this hotel, and as for the first time it was spurred by a flight at an antisocial hour. But it's a great place to stay by any standard, not just an air-travel necessity: it's a "proper" modern hotel with good service, well-lit and well-fitted rooms with comfortable beds, and a not-bad restaurant. For what you get, the price is good too, with no obvious premium for the airport (and metro) accessibility.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Andy B, many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel so kindly. I am really pleased that you found our excellent facilities to be available at good value, and the service to be of a high standard. We are an excellent choice not just for using Newcastle airport but also for exploring Newcastle and the surrounding areas. I hope that you will return to us in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough about this hotel. Our stay was for 5 days and although I was dubious about staying near the airport, my concerns were soon dismissed. The room we had was an excellent standard and clean with triple glazed windows and sound proofing wallpaper which meant we heard nothing from the airport whatsoever. There is an excellent gym which we used daily and the breakfast was fantastic whilst the staff throughout went out of their way to meet your every need. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel and we intend to use it now for our frequent trips back to the North East.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sunderland
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed here a night before an early flight.
We arrived and check in was quick and easy. The rooms were nice and clean and very comfortable.
The restaurant downstairs was lovely. The food was of great quilts but a little pricey for what it was.
The wake up call was right on time for our early flight and check out was great.

Booked to stay again at the end of January before an early flight.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 1, 2014

For a hotel right next to an airport runway and a main road which is very busy there was absolutely no noise heard from either in the room the sound proofing was so good. The food at breakfast and at dinner in Fratello's restaurant was excellent. Only negative was there was no housekeeping service on Christmas Day which I have not experienced in other Hilton hotels in other countries when staying there on Christmas Day

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Nice hotel, lovely staff, especially want to complement Sanita, Elena and Jade, who tried their best to make me comfortable inspite of the challenges.
I had to change rooms 3 times during the 6 nights I was here. In the first room, the main switch plate wasn't operating, so I slept with the corridor light on all night. I was moved the following day to another room.
Air conditioning was too cold (I wonder why it's not equipped with heating in winter?) but there was nothing the staff could do as it was running on a programme no one seem to be able to figure out. So I didn't sleep very well in the (16 deg) cold room. My room was next to the housekeepers cleaning room, and I was woken early by noises from them getting their cleaning stuff.
I was moved to another room on my final night..after 5 nights of poor sleep.
I thought I would be able to sleep well on my last night, but to my dismay I was woken up at night by noisy guests who were shouting in the corridors at 2:30 am, it must be after a night out. I was surprised security didn't come up to stop this.

So overall my experience wasn't very good. Though I cannot fault the high level if service provided by the smiling staff.
Hope that it'll be better next time round. I'm giving it 3 stars as sleep is important to guests, and unfortunately it wasn't possible for me to rest well during my 6 nights here.

Room Tip: Ask for a warm room, and make sure you check all light switches are working when you check in.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 524Solo
CatherineG_DOS, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear 542Solo, many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that despite the problems that you suffered during your stay, you found the staff to be helpful, friendly and accommodating. I would like to apologise for the difficulties you had and I hope that you will return to the hotel in the future.
Pocklington, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Me & my friend used this hotel to stay at whilst we had a night out up in Newcastle. we got this hotel at a discount of the internet for a double bedroom and it as very spacious. we thought that the sound of aircraft would keep us up or be noisy but we didn't hear 1 whilst there. upon arrival we were handed a home made cookie ( pretty sure was cookie) which was warm and had a few drinks in the bar. both women on reception were very helpful with anything we asked even with help of transport, plus very fast on requests for the room. we would defiantly recommend to any one considering this hotel and to try the pub round the corner not the classiest of places but lovely food and cheap. one thing I would suggest to this hotel though would be some different pillows I like mine a bit firmer than they have as my head just sunk into it n I wasn't very comfortable with that but other than that was a brilliant sleep :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stopped for one night before an early flight out on a "Dinner, Bed & Breakfast" deal.
Hotel itself, the bar the rooms and the restaurant are all very fine indeed - a nice hotel to stop in before a flight away.
My issue was the billing of the deal.
It should be simple.... it's bed and breakfast... and at this time of year, as it was explained to me, you either choose from the Christmas menu, or you get £20 per person off the A la Carte Menu.
Pre dinner drinks in the bar, then we chose the Christmas menu and a bottle of wine.
That meant that as the deal was prepaid, we should have a bill for the drinks in the bar and the wine in the restaurant, about £34
On check out my bill was £74. I had to explain that was incorrect and after a little discussion it was corrected.
Not an issue to fuss about you might think.... but we stayed on this deal A YEAR AGO and had the same problem.
Surely Hilton Hotels you can stop this happening?!
Gets the holiday off to a bad start when you need to worry if your bills correct

Room Tip: Despite the billing issue I'd recommend the Dinner, Bed & Breakfast deal
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Topbloke180
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolsington
Britannia Hotel Newcastle Airport
Britannia Hotel Newcastle Airpor...
#69 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Hotel Indigo Newcastle
Hotel Indigo Newcastle
#8 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#7 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Malmaison Newcastle
Malmaison Newcastle
#15 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newcastle International Airport? Share your experiences!