“A Wonderful Evening”

Caviars of Bawtry
Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Bawtry
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Caviars of Bawtry, situated on a quiet side street in the picturesque market town of Bawtry, serves fine food in an intimate and elegant setting. The perfect venue for a romantic meal or special meal.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We recently visited the restaurant for our 30th Anniversary having walked past it a few times.

Upon arrival we immediately felt it was going to be an excellent evening with our host being very welcoming and attentive

The food was just as good with all 3 courses being excellent with the stand out course being the main course of venison served with a chocolate and liquorice sauce truly stunning, although the other 2 courses were not far behind.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes good food in a friendly and relaxing environment

We will be back very soon

mbeanlands, General Manager at Caviars of Bawtry, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thanks for your very kind review - we'll look forward to seeing you again soon ... menu changing next week so you'll have some new stuff to try!!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Visited this restaurant on Friday and have to say i was really impressed. Pricey but well prepared, well cooked and v v good quality.

Caviars is a small intimate restaurant where the staff make you feel welcome and are chatty without being intrusive.

I had scallops to start - good just right and presented well - would recommend. Fillet as the main course - cooked to perfection. Orange and ginger desert - loved it. had the Montrachet again v v good.

Give it go. Its not London and i don't really like the decor as a bit 80's but i kind liked the fact its querky - does that make sense? It was the food and the atmosphere - which you could not fault. Will visit again.

Thanks for the lovely review - always nice to receive!!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I visited caviars when in Doncaster one lunch last week, after turning up by chance the staff were very welcoming and with it being lunch it was a little quieter then what I had heard it to be. Needless to say the food was perfect, we had the duck salad and a venison burger with a healthy helping of chips. Best burger I've eaten in a long time!! The homemade deserts were even better, and a good wine list too. Lived up to (and past) my expectations! Lunch menu great value for money, I would have paid much more for what I ate, and great to admire some real artwork that's on display whilst dining! Overall very impressed. Will return one evening when back in town and enjoy more of the wine bar then lunch time for me would allow.

Sorry about my slow response but thanks for your great review - glad you enjoyed it, and look forward to seeing you back and having a chat over a few bottles in the wine bar!!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was our second visit and as good as the first, minus the cabaret! Scallops starters and sea bass mains cooked to perfection, so tasty. Don't 'do' desserts usually but thought it would be rude not to. So glad we did - the rhubarb assiette and the strawberry cheesecake to die for. All washed down with a very pleasant sav blanc. Service faultless. We will return.

1  Thank Jane W
mbeanlands, General Manager at Caviars of Bawtry, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

It was our pleasure ... you might have to bring the hubby in next time he's back then!!
See you soon,
Malcolm

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We arrived to a cramped bar area where the other guests and us attempted to manoeuvre around each other and juggle drinks when being shown to the table.
We were shown upstairs to a small area that had two tables fit for four people. The room was above the kitchen area and as the night went in the area began to get more smokey and my eyes started to sting. Shortly after the fire alarm went off and the windows were opened!
The food was as described and not too bad but to be totally honest for the price they charge I have eaten higher quality food elsewhere! I felt it was a restaurant overcharging people with too much money and not enough fine dining experience to know any different!!!

When leaving the restaurant after receiving a bill for £200! My clothes and hair smelt like I had been sat near a chip pan! Needless to say I wasn't impressed as we were going to other bars in the area and I felt like I needed a change of clothes because of the awful smell! Now I know that eating in a restaurant always means there is a smell of food but this was greasy, smokey and felt like I'd been sat in a greasy spoon cafe all night.

There wasn't any atmosphere in the restaurant though we tried to make up for that and the company was fantastic!

A friend wants to go here for her birthday soon but I hope that she changes her mind as I would hate to pay more money to the owners of this establishment for a lower than average eating experience.

1  Thank Whitey24

I am all for feedback, be it good or bad, but I am amazed by this review and surprised that it has been published - you say we are "overcharging people with too much money and not enough fine dining experience to know any different" .. how incredibly rude of you to pass judgement on other people? That is not criticism of us, but of the people coming in here.
You then say that there was no atmosphere but you made up for it, yet on your review you put the atmosphere at 3 out of 5 - that doesn't really make sense.
Your last comment is quite galling - you don't want to pay more money to the owners of this establishment? Is this something personal?
I take it that you were a table of 4 so your bill was £50 per person, which is about average depending on how many drinks were had - the prices are displayed on the menu and online .. it is your choice to come in.
I sincerely hope that this review is removed as it is quite offensive.