“Excellent hotel for business travellers and holiday makers.”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bawtry
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I used to use this hotel about 12 years ago and it started to get a bit tired. On my return this week much improvement has been made in terms of décor and facilities. The ambience is very pleasing and relaxing. Very attentive and professional staff making you feel welcome on arrival.

The breakfast, albeit not included in the room rate, is of excellent quality for an extra GBP 7.50 per person is of good value. I would recommend this hotel which is conveniently located for Robin Hood airport.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I stay at the Crown every so often when away on business trips. I have always found the staff very friendly, the rooms excellent and the food (including the quality of service) as good as I have experienced at a hotel of this standard.

Having arrived early evening during the heat wave (25 degrees at 8pm!), I took the opportunity of a leisurely stroll around the attractive local area before returning to the hotel for dinner.

The salmon starter followed by a chicken main was lovely. I was slightly disappointed that my usual breakfast choice of scrambled eggs and salmon now carried a surcharge of £5...I reluctantly chose poached egg and toast instead.

All in all, a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is an old posting house in the centre of Bawtry which is a delightful market town with loads of great dress shops and restaurants. Our experience was much better then those of other reviewers. We booked an Executive room for 2 nights which was roomy, modern and really comfortable (we overslept on our second night the bed was so comfy). All the staff were friendly and helpful. We arrived on the hottest day of the year and our air conditioning did not seem to be functioning. We didn't have time to complain - a passing member of staff immediately took us to another room. We were given a complimentary basket of goodies. We ate in the hotel restaurant where the excellent service continued. Nicely cooked breakfast. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Only downside was lack of a lift.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed over a weekend, it's a nice enough hotel, reception staff were very pleasant but our room was a bit gloomy, with dark wallpaper and not enough light to do my makeup in front of the mirror, it smelt musty as if it had been a smoking room at some point, the bathroom was really nice in contrast, no bath but a nice big shower, very clean, the only negative was that the bathroom door was glass with no lock and from the bedroom you could see the silhouette of your other half sitting on the loo which was a bit offputting.

We had no air conditioning and the room was really hot so we had to sleep with the window open, which would have been bearable but for the noisy wedding guests outside our window all night, we went to bed around midnight and they were still screaming and shouting when the sun came up.

We literally didn't sleep a wink!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed as a group of 10 after going to Doncaster races.
The hotel is tastefully decorated, our room was good, had a great nights sleep, don't know if it was the comfy bed and thick curtains or the amount of g & t's consumed over the day!!
No nice complimentary toiletries, not a major thing I know but I tend not to pack shampoo etc for a one nighter.
We arrived back at the hotel just before 11pm and the bar was packed with young people, we did manage to grab a sofa past the reception area where it was quiter, got the impression the hotel is part of the village bar crawl, nothing wrong with that of course but I would've been annoyed had we not managed to get a seat round the corner.
Breakfast the next morning was good, the usual cereals, fruit, pastries etc. with the option of a cooked breakfast at a supplement, lovely!!
We had to wait a while to be seated as the dining room is quite small, most tables were to seat 4 or more but a lot only had 2 guests at them.
Overall found the staff to be friendly and efficient.
As mentioned before the hotel has limited parking.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel was reasonable with friendly, approachable staff. My room was equipped much as one would expect with enough space, good, firm bed and a clean and spacious bathroom. I was in room 115 which was next to the fire break door to the next section of the corridor so there was noise as it was being opened and shut with the normal people traffic. Not a huge inconvenience but worth noting.

The restaurant has a sort of eastern thing going on which was OK but the food was nothing extraordinary. There may be better venues in Bawtry itself.

All in all, a pleasant enough stay

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here before and because it is the only hotel in Bawtry they can be complacent with a take it or leave it attidude. It's a good hotel but expensive for what it offers. Secondly when booking I gave my debit card, when checking in they insisted on receiving payment. Having driven 4 hours that's frustrating. Most hotels ask for payment on exit. Alas I see bouncers on the doors. So do they get runners and don't trust their guests. That's the feeling I get. I say wise up.

• Stayed: June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bawtry
Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
9 mi away
Hellaby Hall Hotel
Hellaby Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hellaby

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!