“Worst night sleep. Ever!”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bawtry
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I are just back from an overnight stay. We have stayed here on many occasions in both their honeymoon suite and their executive rooms. It has often been a favourite of ours but last night was the worst night sleep we have ever had, at any hotel, anywhere in the world.

We were in an executive room and it was just so incredibly hot! The windows only open at the top and don't let in much air. The air conditioning unit didn't work and it was just so uncomfortable. We asked for a fan after complaining abut the heat, which they provided, but this did very little to cool things down.

The heat gave me a migraine and when my husband complained to reception this morning they said they had switched the air conditioning system off as other customers had previously complained it was too cold. Oh, to have that problem! However, I actually find this incredulous as if they found it too cold they'd just need to switch the air con off. Also, we suspect as the hotel was almost empty, they were trying to save money by turning the system off in the hotel.

The room manager told my husband they had switched it off on one floor, which no doubt was ours. Great! Knowing this, they should have put us in a different room from the outset. For a 4 star hotel I find this outrageous. The least you should expect is a good night sleep, particularly considering the price! Even Premier Inn guarantee a good night sleep or your money back.

I generally never take the time to complain with things like this but feel I had to share this terrible experience. Unfortunately, they are the only hotel in Bawtry so people no doubt will have to stay there with no other choice. However, we will NEVER stay there again, which is a shame. Come on Crown, sort it out!

Room Tip: Make sure the air conditioning is switched on and working.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Overall rating would be Outstanding. The rooms were very clean and spacious and at a great price. All staff members were very friendly....especially the evening door man. He was a major asset to the hotel. He was very helpful with local information. The food in the hotel for breakfast and dinner was excellent. Great bar for evening entertainment. The hotel is located right in the town of Bawtry close to the Doncaster race track which is about 6 miles away. Well worth a visit!

Room Tip: It's always a good idea to ask the front desk to let you view a room before checking in. But mos...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 18, 2013

As a former resident of this area, I was aware of The Crown's reputation so when I needed to spend the night near Doncaster my thoughts naturally turned to this hotel. We opted for an Executive room which is a great choice if you feel like paying that little bit more - lovely 'hamper' (wicker tub) of locally sourced nibbles, wonderfully comfortable bed, lots of space, iron (and board) in the wardrobe, beautiful bathroom and a generally pleasant, contemporary decor. My only minor gripe with the room was that it was not cleaned to my standards - dust on the lampshade, and the back of the toilet and bathroom bin were dirty. Also the top quilt on the bed had some stains on which isn't pleasant in any hotel, irrespective of how much you have paid for the room. The stairwell walls and carpets also seemed a little 'unloved', though the other public areas (bar and restaurant) were beautifully looked after.

We both slept very well and took breakfast in the morning (an additional £7.50pp). The choice was perfectly adequate - pastries, yoghurt, cereal, juice and the cooked selection. Excellent coffee! Further items are available at an additional cost but there was more than enough choice off the basic menu. Service was great - quick, polite and efficient, the staff were friendly and well-presented. They also very kindly allowed us to leave our luggage in the hotel after we'd checked out (while we visited a local attraction).

Overall, one of the nicer hotels I have ever stayed in but it would benefit from a few minor tweaks to elevate it to the level to which it clearly aspires.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2013

To begin, the greeting at reception was monotone, clearly said I'm bored repeating this all the time. The room was cosy, quite like the bare brick walls. the corridor leading to the room, looked tired, with an old and threadbare, in places, carpet. The billed mattress, as a memory foam mattress, was so uncomfortable, has put me off buying one. As said above more sleep flat on my back imobilised on a hospital bed - without any drugs. The loud electrical hum from the fire door magnet just outside kept us awake, when we were repeatedly woken by the extremely uncomfortable bed. The hotel has its own car park, but there are no disabled parking bays. Now I accept the hotel is not responsible for the council car park, outside in the high street but:- overflow cars park outside the front in a council pay and display, charge period is 8am to 10pm. Disabled concession (free parking) can only be used in a marked disabled bay, which there aren't any in front of the hotel. They are across the road at the side in front of the shops. So had a 25yd walk to the hotel from the car. No great shakes for me as my wife is the disabled one, but any possible problems with the car, there is no obvious connection to the hotel. As they were not told to expect a disabled guest, I'll not comment on the obvious lack of disabled friendly features. All in all, we won't be staying here again

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Not sure where to start with this one - stayed one night in November 2012. Paid extra for a nicer room but the decor was a bit weird and hard to describe but felt a bit like it was trying too hard to be sophisticated. Lots of raucous activity from several high spirited stag/hen parties - perhaps this is the ideal place if thats what you are attending Bawtry for but I just wanted a quiet clean room with good food after a long drive and a good nights rest before a professional conference.
Not sure I would recommend the Crown Hotel to friends or family (unless they were on a stag/hen night). Managed to hurt myself twice unintentionally in the bathroom as the metalwork is oddly placed and the bath treacherous. Similarly, in the bedroom, the sunken bed with wooden surround can catch your shins unawares. Staff all very friendly but definitely more good time pub atmosphere than hotel.

Room Tip: Try staying somewhere else?
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here for a night as part of a package we were doing to see the Vulcan plane at Robin Hood airport. The hotel, reception, bar and restaurant were very nice - nice welcome etc and friendly staff. Now for the room - we were in the annex part (room 205 I think) and it was very dark - brick walls and brown painting etc Our bathroom had a large stain on the ceiling, woodwork round the bath and sink chipped and not the cleanest of rooms. The corridor leading up to our room looked as if it had not had a decent clean in weeks - looked grubby - apart from that the hotel was OK - not sure I would stay again unless I paid more for an executive room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chrismart
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We decided to use this hotel as it's probably the best one in Bawtry, and we wanted to try a nearby restaurant.
The hotel is an old building which has modern fittings, the check in was average but a wedding reception was taking place so it was to be expected.
In the evening we came down to hand our key in before a night of drinking and eating in the village to watch a massive fight between wedding guests! It was absolutely fantastic to watch all these gypsies dressed in frocks and suits battling it out.
We made a hasty retreat to a wine bar across the road to watch all unfold as police arrived.
We had a lovely Cantonese meal at the China Rose but that's a separate review!
On our return to the hotel much later all seemed quiet so we had a quick nightcap and then went off to bed.
Soon we were woken by a group of young lads and lasses in the next room that had decided they were in Kavos and were going to party!
My wife stood it for a full thirty minutes before she tried to talk to them but no sense could be got from them.
We reported to reception and the night security questioned the room next door and told them to leave hahaha.
As far as we were concerned the matter was closed but they moved us to what only can be described as a penthouse room? with full 46 inch TV, walk in wetroom and the biggest bed in the world!
The next morning the breakfast restaurant was quiet and made us giggle and talk about our Jeremy Kyle experience all be it not the hotels fault, and the breakfast was of a good quality and well served.
We had an Interesting stay and the hotel staff were very good and sorted all problems and everyone else's by the sound of it.
Don't let my review spoil it for you this hotel was a good choice, it was a one off night,but will be talked about for years to come in my household.

Room Tip: Avoid a wedding party!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank phonicsfella17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bawtry
Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
#3 of 19 in Doncaster
Hellaby Hall Hotel
Hellaby Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hellaby

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!