“Party meal on 26th April”
Review of Bowlish House

Bowlish House
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I am somewhat confused about other customers comments on 28th and 29th of April as I was at `the same party on 26th April 2013 and thought the food was delicious, it was served hot and efficiently, especially considering there was more than 32 of us attending the party. There was a good selection of chilled wine and I had no problems being served.. The chef and management were absolutly charming thay could'nt do enough for us and in fact gave the person whos party was in aid of a complementary bottle of champagne. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and in fact have,

2  Thank melwithitchyfeet

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Delicious food - beautifully presented. A real treat. The Chef is American. Helpful and pleasant hosts.

Bowlish House was recently featured in the series Broadchurch. Lovely old house, we had the room with a 4 poster bed, and beautiful view over garden. Quiet.

1  Thank Sandra C
Reviewed May 30, 2013

A group of us visited Bowlish House for Afternoon Tea during the half term break. We had excellent friendly service and the staff made us feel very welcome. We had ample food for six of us and we were amazed at the value. A hidden gem in Shepton Mallet. We look forward to visiting again.

1  Thank annamorris22
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went to this hotel with a group and my overwhelming thought was that it was a nerve to serve up such awful food. One of the worst meals I have ever had. As experienced by the previous reviewer, the white wine was warm - that was the only drink I managed to get hold of all night as during the meal no-one could find the barman. I imagine they lost a lot of potential profit on the drinks. Service was extremely slow and the room was too brighly lit. Everyone had a piece of mashed potato in a cylindrical shape which some found impossible to cut through. My individual steak and ale pie was absolutely awful and very salty. Goats cheese tarts were no better, with dried curling cheese. My neighbour had a chicken tagine which is an insult to North African food. I lived in Morocco for 20 years and have NEVER seen a tagine like it - a chicken breast covered in gravy with a few bits of chopped red pepper!
How dare any restaurant imagine for one second that customers would enjoy food like that - what an insult! Never again.

1  Thank BellaSomerset
Reviewed April 28, 2013

A party of us went to Bowlish House on 26/4/2013 the food was awful it was not home cooked food it had been brought in and just warmed up the portions of veg was a joke it was just two mouthfuls the dessert was the same as for the cheese it was so hard and crumpled up at the edges, how do they think they can serve food like this in a beautiful Gergian House. Also the white wine was served warm. It must be new owners who has this Hotel now as the food used to be so good and really experience staff uses to wait on the tables, the staff which were on that evening brought one plate out at a time which took for ever, we waited an hour before we got our meal served to us, so would never go back to that restaurant again.

3  Thank Carol T