“Don't rely on a dinner booking here!”
Review of Bowlish House

Bowlish House
Ranked #4 of 36 Shepton Mallet B&B and Inns
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
“Don't rely on a dinner booking here!”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We booked BB&EM after noting the 4 star Tripadviser rating and carefully reading the reviews shown. However we were really gutted on arrival, having traveled for 2 hours and played a round of golf nearby, to be told there was no cook and that our booked diner taken by the owner (to celebrate my wife's 65th birthday) was not to be. Apparently there was no cook, and the owner's husband at reception was absolutely unable to advise of any alternative place to eat, the owner not being around. This hotel seemed rather faded to us, we had Room 1 which was clean with a comfortable bed but the floor creaked, as did others in adjacent rooms, however the cooked breakfast was reasonable. I am afraid we have no plans to visit again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

after staying for one night after moving from an awful hotel we enjoyed the Bowlish House hotel

The couple who we assume run the establishment were very kind and fell over themselves to make your stay enjoyable .

It feels like a quaint Georgian house --maybe not a chateau -but they make you feel at home

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed at Bowlish House for one night. I was travelling on business. I arrived after a long journey on Sunday (9th June) about 9.30 pm. I immediately felt relaxed and received a very warm welcome. Chef prepared a cooked meal and a lovely desert (naughty but nice). My room was impressive lots of space and a walk in separate wardrobe, in addittion to a contemporary bathroom.

The free Wifi was great and enabled me to catch up on work in my room. Although my stay was short I will not forget the Bowlish and highly recommend it.

Keep up the good work Chris and Val

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The welcome was friendly, the room large and comfortable, the food realy good, what more do you need from a hotel, this has it all plus a quiet and peacefull setting and well located, within easy driving distance to both Bath and Wells.
I would certanly recommend this Hotel, what you get is good old fashioned hospitality that feels genuine, I realy believed that nothing would be too much trouble, Val and Chris certainly make you feel as if you were guests in their home and not a Hotel, and the added bonus is that they have a very good chef.
Well worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jacqueline w
Norfolk
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at Bowlish House for two nights. The warm welcome we received on arrival was much appreciated from the owners. We decided to eat "in" on the first night after a long journey and weren't disappointed. The food was delicious. Breakfast was equally as good and set us up for the whole day. (Hang on to that chef!!) Nothing was too much trouble for the owners and they were extremely attentive and we felt very "at home." We loved the charm and history of the building and look forward to another visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tiverton
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

When we drove up I thought, Oh, my god, lets go home but we went in and I had to eat my words. Lovely old place, very comfortable, great food. Friendly and obliging hosts. Slept well (i usually have trouble sleeping in hotels) Would go again. Deserves its 4 stars.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
tredegar
Reviewed April 23, 2013

my wife and i stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending a classic car show and it was a real pleasure from a great welcome, too superb food [the savoury profiterolls are awesome ] to the 2 really lovely people who run the place superbly[ chris and val] we stay in alot of places both in the uk and abroad and we can honestly say this is without a shadow of a doubt the very best so in closing a REALLY REALY big thank you to chris and val and all the staff at bowlish who made our stay truly excellent see you soon george and karen

Room Tip: get room 2 great views and 4 poster bed