“Hotel & Spa amazing, restaurant not the best” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House

Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
London, United Kingdom
“Hotel & Spa amazing, restaurant not the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Girls weekend away, got a great deal inc. dinner, room & spa treatment.
The Hotel & Spa staff are wonderful, real warm welcome and reception team show you all the way to your room and explain where everything is - we stayed in room 16 'tudor animals' a large twin room in the out houses, short outside walk to get back into main hotel or spa but really didn't bother us, takes seconds and if you don't fancy stepping outside before breakfast it's only £5 for tray service.
The spa is lovely - choice of 2 saunas & a steam room, indoor pool with jacuzzi functions and outdoor hot tub as well as treatment rooms and nail bar. Relatively small but even on a busy saturday we didn't feel too cramped.
We had a massage & a facial as part of an upgraded package - excellent staff and really relaxing.
The dinner was a bit disappointing, as others have mentioned the service is slow and I wasn't that impressed with the food ... none of the 4 waiting staff we saw on duty ever asked how anything was and the starters were lukewarm at best. Didn't complain as part of the package we weren't expecting top notch but weren't impressed either.
Equally slow bar service the following morning - waited 30mins to be offered a drink before we flagged someone down.
Overall would highly recommend - just spend all your time in the spa!

Room Tip: 16 'tudor animals' is really spacious and has lovely old world charm (is in a separate build...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Jude291,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am glad that overall you enjoyed your girls break and that you found your time in the Spa and treatments "excellent".
I am sorry that you did not receive the level of service we aim to achieve in the restaurant,I have passed your feedback on to the team .
I hope you will come and visit us again soon,

Sakis Dinas.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

The spa was really lovely - lots included (pool with jacuzzi sections, adjoining outside pool, outside covered jacuzzi, experience showers, ice, sauna and steam room) sumptuous décor and dim lighting make it rather romantic. NOTE: feel free to go down to the spa in your dresing gown and slippers (included with your room) as we weren't sure but it's more than ok. Staff were very nice and attentive. We only ate room service but the food was good (fish & chips and club sandwich). We didn't get charged for checking out 30 mins late. The bathrobes were so soft! The beds were really comfy and we loved the décor in the rooms. The roll top bath was lovely, and the underfloor heating was a nice touch. Huge shower as well as bath, and double sinks. Bathroom and bedroom both had dimmer lights were you could choose settings for your lights. Grounds looked nice, although it was raining so we didn't get to experience them. Free wifi too. Only one small thing - the breakfast arrived to our room later than they said, and this made us late for checkout, however we were half an hour late and didn't get charged and they also didn't charge us the £5 fee for bringing us our breakfast. The rooms were pretty hot and we couldn't work out how to turn down the heating but apart from that it was great!

Room Tip: We went with the superior deluxe which was really romantic and sumptuous
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Maddy T
Dear MaddyT,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.I am glad you enjoyed your time in the Spa.
I hope that you will come and visit us when the weather improves so you will be able to explore our grounds,

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We absolutely love this 'hotel'. We come every year, normally in the summer as a little treat away.

On every occasion the staff have been top class, a real asset to the company. We normally stay for 1 / 2 nights and the rooms are gorgeous and clean!

The spa is very relaxing and I would definitely recommend the full body massage. The last time I was here I was 12 weeks pregnant so the lady gave me a gorgeous head massage which made me totally relaxed.

Again, the restaurant is fantastic. The staff have a vast knowledge of the menu which helps when trying to decide on a dish!

I would also highly recommend getting an afternoon tea and sitting on the lounge chairs on the lawn! Perfect.

I couldn’t fault this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Melissa 358,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope that you will come and visit us again soon.
I am sure you will welcome a relaxing break after the baby is born !

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

We regularly meet up with family for birthdays and Christmas. I find this hotel very relaxing and excellent food The atmosphere is great and menu excellent. The service is always very good. Not too attentive but just right. The lounge area is relaxing for a drink before lunch or afterwards. I find it a bit strange with spa guests arriving dressed in robes.

Stayed December 2013
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Laura P,

Thank you for awarding us five stars, I was so glad to see that you and your family enjoyed your Christmas celebration with us.

We look forward to welcomong you back to Charlton House very soon,

somerset, united kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Booked an overnight stay for New Year's Eve and was very impressed, included champagne and canapés to begin with then a 3 course meal, the food was delicious, followed by a disco, was a lot busier than I thought it would be and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
We stayed in Folley room which was big and lovely, made use of the spa to, and it wasn't too expensive, will definatly look at again for next year.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear cls 205,

Thank you so much for awarding us five stars.
I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your New Years Eve with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Newbury, Berkshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my Mum for an overnight spa break and had a lovely time. The reception welcome was good and they showed us around before taking us to our room. We had number 24 and it was lovely to walk into a room that had some character which so many hotels lack now. The spa area was relaxing and had everything you'd expect. Service to get towels was a little slow, as was clearing up around of towels people had left in rest areas. We had a lovely dinner with an aperitif in the comfortable bar area beforehand. The food was very good, well presented. I can understand comments regarding slow service, we did have to catch their eye a couple of times, I think they've taken on the idea of not rushing you and letting you dine at a leisurely pace a little too far at times. The breakfast was good, cold buffet to help yourself to and then you ordered from a cooked menu. Overall a great stay and I would definitely revisit as would Mum.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear craze e emz,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I was so glad that you and your Mother enjoyed your stay with us,I hope that you will come back and visit us again soon,

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night with a spa break midweek deal. The hotel is tastefully decorated, peaceful and relaxing. Was able to use the spa and mini gym on both days, which was lovely. The spa was on the small side, but we enjoyed the outdoor Jacuzzi and saunas. The food was wonderful, both dinner and breakfast. Staff were attentive. Enjoyed using the tennis court as well - we borrowed rackets and balls from reception. I'd come again!

• Stayed January 2014
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hinton Charterhouse
Apsley House Hotel
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel

Been to Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House? Share your experiences!