“Wonderful”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shepton Mallet
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I attended my niece's wedding 21st march and we had sole use of the hotel. On arrival on 21st we were greeted by reception who gave us a lovely warm welcome and then showed us to our room and what an amazing room it was an we were very much looking forward to our 2 nights. The room was very spacious and well laid out and a lovely rustic feeling to it, the bedding was to die for. The food was very good and was delivered without delay as was our amazing breakfasts. The staff were very good and attentive. The relaxing areas are very spacious and comfortable. Unfortunately due to the weather we were unable to take advantage of the lovely grounds and sit outside but would love to return in summer time to take advantage of the grounds. In all we had a lovely stay and would recommend this hotel to all.
Regards
Peter wynn

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Kerry
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I booked this Hotel (4 poster room) for my Boyfriends 30th for 2 nights. On arrival we were greeted by a lovely lady who showed us to our gorgeous room that we could not fault. It was clean and very beautiful.
It all seemed to go wrong at dinner that evening, we were seated in the conservatory section of the restaurant and it was freezing!! The restaurant had no ambience whatsoever. The menu was a set menu only with about 5 choices for each of starter/main/dessert, I was told there was no al la carte available by the waitress which i found unusual. The food is lovely but the portions were very very small for what was being charged and the wait between courses was ridiculous. We sat for Dinner at 7.30pm and finished at 10pm. We were genuinely very hungry after the main course. My Boyfriend asked the waitress where the cheese boards were that we had ordered 40 minutes previously and instead of an apology, he was told they were on the way. We were charged on average £95 for Dinner the first night- this is with a glass of wine each and not a bottle.
I would like to point out that the restaurant was very very quiet, there were about 5 other couples eating. The following night was a bit better but had the exact same set menu.
The Spa is very small with very friendly staff but there are alot of Day Package breaks with groups of ladies which ordinarily isn't a problem but unfortunately it has a tendency to take from the relaxing romantic break you are meant to be having when the spa is small.
Overall We were disappointed but in particular with the restaurant/ Bar area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SCoff_10
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear SCoff_10,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.
I was very pleased that you 'loved' your room,our four poster rooms are very romantic and always popular.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies if your restaurant experience did not meet your expectations.
Our conservatory has underfloor heating and we usually find this is adequate, guest comfort is paramount to us and had we known of your discomfort we could have moved you to a cosier area.

I feel I should clarify that our menu is a la carte but we prefer to have a set two course and three course price rather than individually pricing our dishes. We have a choice of five starters, five mains and five desserts which we feel is adequate choice. Our food is more fine dining and we usually receive the highest praise for our food including our recent second rosette which was awarded to us from the AA.

I have noted your comments about the delay in the restaurant and I will address it with the relevant members of the team.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts, we appreciate all customer feedback and I would like to reassure you that we have addressed all the issues raised and we hope to welcome you back in the near future

Sakis Dinas
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here for one night as a treat for my mum and I. On arrival we were given a tour of the hotel and were able to use the facilities before our room was ready. We arrived early knowing that our room would not be available until 3pm and so we were happy to do so. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel and found it very relaxing, the one dissapointment was that we were unable to have as many treatments as we would have liked because of it was booked up until much later the following day. In hindsight perhaps I should have rang and booked these before but we partly wanted to choose a treatment once we were there. Apart from that everything was excellent, the staff were very attentive, the beds were incredibly comfortable and our room was very quiet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Natasha B
ManagementResponse02, Guest Relations Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear NatashaB,

I am delighted that you and your mother had such a relaxing stay.
I am so sorry that you could not get your extra treatments ,we do tend to get very booked up in the Spa and pre booking for extra treatments is always advisable.

I do hope that you will come and visit us again soon,

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was a little disappointed to begin with as I tried to rearrange my stay due to poor weather conditions in the local area, which wasn't possible. I completely understand that it's not always possible to rearrange, especially on the day of arrival, but given the crazy weather conditions I thought that this would be honoured. It wasn't but I didn't want to lose all the money we paid so we made alternative travel arrangements. On arrival it was understandable why they wouldn't allow cancellation as they hadn't had a drop of snow like we had so they must've thought we were mad!

Anyway I'm glad we decided to go because it was an amazing two days! On arrival the receptionist gave us a mini tour of the hotel and took us up to our gorgeous room. We were on the top floor-not so suitable for my 6'3 other half as very low ceilings but I was happy so his opinion didn't matter ;)

As soon as we settled in we went to the spa which was amazing-you wouldn't expect the outdoor pool and jacuzzi to be so accommodating in -2 weather but it's fantastic (having to get out of the jacuzzi into the cold was a problem though! Thank god for the robes!)

The restaurant was lovely and VERY good food and wine although we did have to wait a while between courses-I suppose they do this deliberately to create a relaxing/not rushed environment as you get in most restaurants.

After dinner we went to the bar and I requested a cocktail. The lovely chap behind the bar (Daniel?) was unable to make one but quickly got another member of staff to come and make one for me which was delicious.

On return to our room the housekeeper knocks on the door to ask if we needed anything! what amazing service! :)

We ordered breakfast to be delivered to the room in the morning. It arrived slightly late but so what because when it did arrive it was great so worth the wait.

Back to the spa for some lovely treatments and further use of the outdoor jacuzzi before ordering food in the lounge area where the staff are very attentive! Again, the food took a while to be served but this wasn't such a problem for us as we weren't in any rush.

To sum it up Charlton House is a lovely little hotel and it would be a pleasure to return, if fact we're hoping to return in the summer and will be bringing friends and family so they can see what a gem the hotel is!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank SarahJaneWalker1987
Dear SarahJaneWalker,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.

I have passed your comments on to the restaurant team and they were delighted.

Our outdoor jacuzzi and hydro therapy pool are very popular ,I am so glad that you
enjoyed your time in the Spa.

We are so glad that you are planning to visit us again,

We looking forward to welcoming you back to Charlton House,

devon
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights along with 3 girl friends and got a great package. No complaints at all about value for money. We all got upgraded and the rooms were gorgeous. And we could not believe how amazing the food was 10 out of 10. But the purpose of our girlie trip was a spa break and this hotel is more about the food and the rooms than the spa experience. No where to swim - and we could not use the spa before 9am so no early morning dips for us. Although we were told that we could go in at 8am by one staff member when we turned up we were told very abruptly to go away - and when we asked why we could not use any if the facilities which were all turned on and working - we were told it was because of cleaning. No sign of cleaning in sight though....
The other huge problem we had was convincing staff that there were 4 of us. Because I booked for all 4 of us - they insisted on calling us all my name which caused havoc with our treatments and caused people telephoning my friends to be told they were not guests staying st the hotel. Thankfully a divorce did not develop with concerned husbands....
And the final straw was a make up lesson that I booked. The girls were lovely and very keen but forced to carry out the lesson in a really dim reception area. I had to walk into a separate room to allow her to see if she was using the correct shade on me. To be then taken back for her to finish me off in the dark . I am afraid I could not washbmy face fast enough after leaving.
So to sum up - a fabulous hotel for a lovely location and and amazing rooms. But if you are used to high class spa facilities - go elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Frandevon
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Frandevon,

I was delighted to read your comments regarding the 'gorgeous' rooms you stayed in and our 'amazing'
food and I look forward to sharing this feedback with the team.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies if your spa experience did not meet your expectations.
We offer a wide range of facilities at the Spa but these are only available during Spa opening hours ,which are 9am-9pm.I am sorry that you were provided with misleading information regarding early use of the spa facilities.We are not permitted to allow accesss to the water areas before opening,as we undertake the necessary water tests and cleaning,to ensure that the chemical levels are within their optimum range for Health and Saftey reasons,before 9am

It is usual practise for a lead bookers details to be used for a group booking but if you would prefer this
to be detailed individually,we would be more than happy to do this for you on any future bookings.

In the Spa we offer a relaxing atmosphere which is accompanied by ambient lighting,but we use the area opposite reception,where natural light floods in ,to complete make up demonstrations.We have
not had any negative feedback previously regarding the provision of this area for these treatments but
I will continue to monitor any further feedback regarding this area.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts and I do hope that you will revisit our beautiful hotel again in the future

Sakis Dinas
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stay here on 7/03/13.

We were really surprised with what we got. Booked through lastminute.com on the 5/03/13 and got a really good bed and breakfast rate. The biggest surprise of all was when we arrived, booked a small double thinking this will be plenty comfortable for a 1 nights stay. The young lady from reception showed us around the hotel and spa before taking us to our room. As she opened the door to the Adam & Eve suite we were in such amazement with what was meant to be a small double turn't out to be huge,(Not sure if we were upgraded??) A massive bed (I would say Queen Sized) a sofa and coffee table, dressing table/desk. The room also had the most amazing Bay Window looking over the grounds and tennis court. Bathroom was a really good size consisting of a bath with an over head shower. Plenty of towels.

The Spa facilities were OK, Some of the stuff didn't work or I had no idea how to work them. We enjoyed a bit of time in the hydropool which had a little bit that led outside. Swimming in a heated pool outside whilst raining was something special.

NOW FOR DINNER- Booked a table for 8pm, Arrived in to the bar around 7:30 went to bar for a drink whilst getting a drink we were handed the dinner menus. sat at a little table in front of the window to look at our menus and enjoy our drinks before dinner. Around 7:45pm a young lady approached us to take our order. After placing our order we continued with our drinks until the lady returned to take us to our table. We sat at a nice big table not just put in a corner. They then brought out fresh bread, (3 different types) Sun-dried Tomato which my Girlfriend enjoyed very much. My starter of carpaccio was really good, My main of pork belly not so good. the smoked fondant potato was really overpowering.

Back to the room- Only thing i found was the room was really hot and i was unable to open the window due to what sounded like a drum going off every two minutes.

Despite the heat and drum sound through the night i really enjoyed the stay.

Breakfast had some really good options despite small portions.

We left on the Friday with the dreaded feeling of not wanting to go home and we should have booked two nights.

We look forward to returning before the arrival of our first baby in August.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

If there were a 'good' rating, rather than a 'very good' I would have selected it in my review for this hotel. By 'normal' hotel standards, this hotel is very good. However, by luxury hotel standards, I think this hotel is closer to average or good.

Yes, the food and rooms are beautiful. but for a luxury hotel like this, I feel the devil is in the details, and the hotel was disappointing in some respects.

For example, we ate in the bar on our first evening there and the food took an hour to come. They had also got one person's order wrong and brought fish and chips rather than the requested smoked haddock fishcakes. After such a long wait, the fish and chips were devoured eagerly (and were extremely tasty indeed) but they were not what had been requested originally. Afterwards, my friend ordered a dessert. When it still hadn't arrived half an hour later, we asked where it was. The waiter went to investigate and told us that it was no longer available. This in itself was not a problem, but the fact was that nobody had told us this and if we hadn't asked ourselves, we would have been left waiting and wondering all night. I have to say, I found a couple of the staff to be a bit disinterested.

The rooms are beautiful and the spa is very nice. Due to the old nature of the building I found it very noisy and every move of the occupants of rooms adjacent to, and above my own, could be heard, so I suggest bringing ear plugs.

The hotel is unique and has a lot of personality, and is certainly a lot nicer than most run of the mill hotels. However, I think there is definite room for improvement in the areas of customer service, speed of service of food and noise reduction in the bedrooms. Slightly loverpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, away from the staircase and probably on the top floor. (If you are tall, make...