“Why is it so busy? Because it is good!”
Review of Poachers Pocket

Poachers Pocket
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Poacher's Pocket is tucket away from any main road; so the fact that it always seems to be busy at lunch-time proves that it's getting something very right.

That something is the fact that you won't leave this pub feeling hungry - or poor! The menu is very traditional for a country pub, but the portions are generous. The food is excellent, the service is attentive, and the prices are very competitive.

I use this pub for lunch with pals when we are shooting at the nearby field-archery course. We love the atmosphere, the friendly staff, and the great-value good-quality food.

1  Thank DavidSturgess

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This restaurant has way more good reviews than bad. However, the theme of the bad reviews closely follows my own experience so I wonder if the numerous good reviews are from locals or personel friends of the owners as they bear no resemblence to my experience.

Ordinarily, I would give a place at least two chances before condemning it as we all have off nights. However, the attitude of the staff and especially what seemed to be the manager or owner was so appalling that I am perfectly happy to put my impressions in print after what will be my only visit.
Firstly, the food was ok. I wouldn't rate it amongst the best pub grub I've had but it certainly wasn't the worst. It is, however, overpriced for average pub food though not grossly so.

Where the real problems lie is in the service. Everything seemed too much trouble for them.
We were almost dismissed to our table rather than shown. The wait to order was interminable and after ordering and being served we assumed the waitress had been abducted as we never saw her again.

Each time one of our party of six wanted another drink one of us had to leave the table to go and order drinks at the bar.
On the occasion I went to the bar (there was only one other person at the bar at this point so it wasn't as if I wasn't visable) the barman continued his converstion with the already served, presumably local patron and ignored me. This continued until I said 'are you actually going to serve me or just carry on your conversation', at which point he did come and serve me but didn't apologise and made it clear he was unhappy with a shockingly brusque manner.

5 minutes after this incident, a couple appeared behind the bar (an obvious couple, who I assumed were the owners but may not have been) and zeroed in on our table for the remainder of our meal and made it clear (by actions rather than words) that they were watching us. Clearly they were concerned that the six people at the table, all over 40 years old (two over 70) and all well educated were potential trouble causers.

There is another review on here where the reviewer states that the management became aggressive and argumentative with several of their party when they had the temerity to complain about something and I firmly believe that is exactly how our evening would have panned out had we complained about the service that night.
We choose to finish our main courses and then skip dessert and leave never to return. Having read a couple of the other reviews I think we did the right thing.

8  Thank T M
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Poachers can always be relied on to produce good food. Yes, it's not posh restaurant, a la carte but it's not basis pub grub either. Excellent food, great portion sizes and reasonably priced (which helps when you take out 3 children). Need to book however, especially at week-ends as they are always busy because they are popular.

1  Thank J4net
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went on a Saturday lunch-time as we were just passing, and were very impressed. The pub was clean, light and airy, without going overboard like some gastro-pubs do, and was very welcoming. They were fairly busy with some kind of party in another room, but there was still plenty of room and good service. There was a fair selection of ales and ciders, and the food was piping hot decent portions of traditional pub grub, obviously made with good ingredients - very tasty and filling. It was a bit dear (~£28 for two people, 1 course and a drink each) and I would have liked a few more veg, but on the whole I felt it was very good.

1  Thank Rebecca424
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our roast lamb with potatoes, yorkshires and vegetables was cooked very well and generous, the prices were also reasonable - roasts were £7.50 to £9.00 with a choice of chicken, lamb and beef. In addition there was also a full regular menu to choose from that was varied and had vege options. The pudding menu was very large and offered all sorts of tasty options - baileys cheesecake, brownies, eton mess. My banana split was one of the best I have had, the ice cream (lovingtons I believe) was very creamy and the fruit on top very fresh. The service was prompt and friendly. I woud give 5 stars but was suprised they had made no efforts to deal with the ice in the car park and by the entrance, my partner was close to falling and other people exting were sliding around. All the pubs I have been too before when we have had snow and ice have put mats down with warning signs about the ice.

1  Thank LoopyLou1986