“Proper Pub Grub”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Proper Pub Grub”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went on a Saturday lunch-time as we were just passing, and were very impressed. The pub was clean, light and airy, without going overboard like some gastro-pubs do, and was very welcoming. They were fairly busy with some kind of party in another room, but there was still plenty of room and good service. There was a fair selection of ales and ciders, and the food was piping hot decent portions of traditional pub grub, obviously made with good ingredients - very tasty and filling. It was a bit dear (~£28 for two people, 1 course and a drink each) and I would have liked a few more veg, but on the whole I felt it was very good.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Rebecca424

Merriott, United Kingdom
“Great sunday lunch but dangerous ice at entrance”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our roast lamb with potatoes, yorkshires and vegetables was cooked very well and generous, the prices were also reasonable - roasts were £7.50 to £9.00 with a choice of chicken, lamb and beef. In addition there was also a full regular menu to choose from that was varied and had vege options. The pudding menu was very large and offered all sorts of tasty options - baileys cheesecake, brownies, eton mess. My banana split was one of the best I have had, the ice cream (lovingtons I believe) was very creamy and the fruit on top very fresh. The service was prompt and friendly. I woud give 5 stars but was suprised they had made no efforts to deal with the ice in the car park and by the entrance, my partner was close to falling and other people exting were sliding around. All the pubs I have been too before when we have had snow and ice have put mats down with warning signs about the ice.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank LoopyLou1986
Bath, United Kingdom
“over rated”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

over rated Disappointed, I had a gammon and chips, the chips was not nice at all, they were over done to eat, My husband had jacket potato with prawns and it was not as good as some other ones hes had in other pubs. My youngest daughter had pork steaks with topped cheese and she refused to eat it. When i walked into the pub, I could of been a inspector before you know, the pub was on its right and all i could see under the sink was kitchen appliances e.g. antibacterial cleaner, it should be put away in a locked cupboard out the way of cooked food. We will not be dining here again. Also when I walked into 7th table leading into the conservatory all in the door way was cobwebs that is unhygienic. The car park was not very inviting as it was full of ice, it should of been gritted for the weather sake.

• Visited January 2013
Angus
“Great pub with terrific food”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went as a party of 11 people and all of us were impressed. The menu is extensive and has all the pub classics (except a burger, curiously). The food was excellent and the portions generous. It was also very reasonably priced. Unsurprisingly the place was packed, which created a lively atmosphere. If it's a down-to-earth and unpretentious country pub you're after, this place is hard to beat.

• Visited January 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great Christmas meal”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Went here last weekend and the place was packed full.
We had booked a table for 20 of us and thought we may have to wait some time to be served,how wrong this was.
The food came out hot and on time and there was loads of it.
Great staff and good pub food will be going back again next week