“Very good value and clean hotel , great food .”

The Shrubbery Hotel
Ranked #8 of 36 Shepton Mallet B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Located in the centre of Shepton Mallet , this hotel offers great value and great food . The hotel is very clean and the room was all that you need and more . Well worth a visit if your on this neck of the woods .
Nick , South Yorkshire

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Well priced, clean, friendly, good breakfast , safe parking at the front of the hotel, well stocked bar, near to all the shops and highlights of Shepton Mallet. Room 106 has a very comfortable bed and we will be coming to stay again. Friends who visited us at the hotel who live in Shepton were also pleasantly surprised at the refurbishment, so much so that they are considering booking all the rooms for their daughters wedding guests in the not to distant future.

Room Tip: 106. Comfortable bed fairly quite, there is a public carpark nearby but the noise is not intrusive.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked to stay at The Shrubbery Hotel as I was attending an exhibition at the Bath & West showgrounds. The hosts (Adrian and Loraine) and all the staff were very helpful and friendly throughout my stay. Adrian and Loraine have spent a year refurbishing this character property to a good standard. I booked the single room which was exceptional value for money. Note however, there is no ensuite bathroom. There is however a bathroom across the landing dedicated to this room. The hotel is also centrally located to all the shops. I would happily choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Four of us booked in The Shrubbery Hotel to spend a weekend in Somerset. We couldn't have chosen a better place. We received a very warm welcome from the owners (Adrian and Lorraine) and had the opportunity to get their views and help about local places to visit (see below). We were very happy with our rooms which were spacious, very clean and comfortable. We noticed the restaurant and were lucky enough to secure a table (definately recommend a booking). Pre-dinner we enjoyed a glass of the local cidar and a chat with some locals who shared that they liked the bar and restaurant. The food far surpassed our expectations, try the mackeral and horse-radish icecream or the baked camonbert starters - amazing, followed by great steak. The service throughout the hotel is excellent. To top the lot, you can enjoy the best breakfast - it's full english. What makes it special is that you can taste product is of a high standard and not a trace of grease - delicious.

Following the hosts recommendation we visited Stourhead the National Trust property, the autumnal views were breathtaking. Enjoyed an amazing sun set as we drove back hotel. Next day we went to Wells Cathedral and then on to Chedder Gorge to walk off the wonderful food.

Definately going back in a different season and absolutely will return to The Shrubbery despite my usual thoughts to try something new.

Fantastic.

Room Tip: Both rooms we saw were of a high standard. Get out of the room and spend the time in the resting a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2012

As this was the second stay at this hotel ( I had no choice ) I was not looking forward to my stay. upon arrival I noticed the bright clean paintwork. After speaking to the new owner I was directed to my room(FORGET ME NOT) . The room was clean and comfortable, dinner was superb as was breakfast . the only niggle was that my colleagues and I were asked to leave the bar at 1145pm as they wanted to lock up.. overall, a very improoved stay,

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was booked in to the Shrubbery by my company and it really is luck of the draw. However this is the first time I have felt compelled to review. The welcome was fantastic after a 3 hr drive down from the staff. The food choice was excellent from a bar/snack menu through to a restaurant menu. I opted for the mushroom and watercress soup, which I was happy to state was the best soup ever. This was followed by the sausage and mash with cider sauce, again fantastic. Great prices, good staff welcome and excellent food. I will be visiting again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Lovely little hotel with really comfortable rooms good beds with quality bed linen.spotlessly clean width outstanding quality food at really reasonable prices,friendly welcoming owners totally unpretentious I would recommend unreservedly

• Stayed: September 2012