“Absolutely superb”

The Kings Arms - Dusthole
Ranked #23 of 36 Shepton Mallet B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 31, 2013

What can I say about this place that explains just how great it was. We walked in on the off chance of a room and the landlord Tony was a gem, he found us a room for the one night we wanted and couldn't have been more helpful. I just cannot understand why some people have rated this so badly? If you want a plastic pub that is modern and sterile, don't stay here, BUT, if you want an old fashioned, welcoming place where the rooms, like little cottages, are superb, spotlessly clean and with lots of charm,and all en suite, then get yourself there. The food is out of this world, with an extremely wide choice and all home cooked, (I can thoroughly recommend the silverside beef and Stilton pie), all the staff and the locals are friendly and Tony the landlord seems to be everywhere at once, making sure your happy. Breakfast is all locally sourced and delicious. Wish we had found this place earlier, would definitely have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Room / is gorgeous, just like a little old cottage but with en suite and all mod cons, loved it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Kings Arms - Dusthole

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed over for one night and was welcomed by Tony who throughout the stay did all he could to help. The food was really nice and the bar area comfortable. Room 7 had a nice double bed and a massive bathroom with a shower. Had a good nights sleep followed by a perfectly cooked breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights in the family room which was perfect for us - as the kids are teenagers we didn't want to share a room and so the interconnecting rooms were ideal. We had an 'ante room' between the bath room and our bedroom which certainly gave a greater feeling of space and meant that our rooms weren't cluttered with suitcases and bags.
The location was excellent - within easy reach of all local attractions (Wookey Hole, Cheddar Gorge etc) as well as the cities of Bath and Wells, and Glastonbury.
It's a family run hotel - the owner can appear a little brusque on first encounter but once you chat with him he's very affable and obviously very passionate about the place. He has great plans for continued investment in and expansion of the place - which we look forward to seeing put into place
The food....! I have never eaten in a hotel every night for the duration of a trip before! We couldn't stay away! The food was great - tasty, fresh, well cooked, and good value - our only complaint was that the portions were so big!
Breakfast was so good. The teenagers beat us down on the first morning and I found that my son had requested boiled egg and soldiers! The answer was 'of course' and they were perfect. He had them every day.
The staff were great - the owners' daughter Jess (home from Uni) was so personable and charming, and Rory in the bar was another lovely and friendly youngster.
we will definitely return next year and will recommend the place to anyone travelling to the area.
Thanks for a fab stay!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Fantastic historic building, Great Meal, great service and pleasant staff, peaceful setting in great surroundings. Very relaxed evening and would love to stay the night. A landlords work is 24hours a day and you can get intolerant to idiots and by the sounds of some of the poor review customers im surprised they weren't thrown out.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I picked this hotel as it was only a few miles from my seminar venue and I had never seen Shepton Mallet before. It was a good choice, without asking I got a room upgrade into one of their recently finished pine cottages. I was certainly spacious and welcoming. I enjoyed the layout of the hotel, the owners and staff were good and the breakfact excellent. What more is there to say, it was good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Polo B
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend (both early 30's) stayed one night to attend a wedding nearby. I just wanted to write a review as after reading some of the other poor reviews I was very wary of visiting here! It was lovely though. We stayed in one of the cabins just to the side of the pub. yes there is a big alsation god but he was very friendly and would occassionally bark but not for long periods. Good points- 1) Room and bathroom were very big 2) Bed was lovely and comfy. 3) Big widescreen tv 4) Staff were very friendly. Bad points- its just little things that could be improved on to actually make this quite a funky boutique b&b- 1) there was no mention on the website on when check in or check out time was and nothing in the info book in the room so had to guess these! 2) You had to get milk for tea and coffee from the pub- would be good just to have little pots of UHT milk in the room 3) the water pressure was quite low, you had to run the water for 10minutes to get hot water and the bathroom smelt very slighltly of mould. On checking out were told there were cheaper rooms available- would have been nice to have been told this when booking as room was not worth 85GBP a night. All in all I would not let the negative reviews put you off as we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I just came back from dusthole. I have to say I had a great stay. I love the quirkiness of the whole place. Was very hot whilst I was there and the courtyard made it feel very mederteranian with the owners dog no trouble at all. Both the owners where lovely to us along with other staff and made us feel welcome but also allowed us to relax in our own space too. Rooms where quirky and clean which I loved and although we arrived late. ie. 11pm we where still made welcome even though they where finishing for the day. I want to go back defiantly because of this..... Not your usual hotel feel but more the welcome home feel and after travelling five hours to get there I couldn't of wished for better.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#11 of 36 in Shepton Mallet
Longbridge House
Longbridge House
#5 of 36 in Shepton Mallet

Been to The Kings Arms - Dusthole? Share your experiences!