“Disappointing and expensive experience”

Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eardington
Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed the weekend as part of a small group. The facilities were minimal consisting of one toilet and shower for ladies and the same for men. There was a disabled facility but this was locked on the first night. Also the toilet block housed another room for rental for the unwary customer! There was no hot water to wash your hands in the ladies and the dish washing facilities was appalling - there was only one sink with just cold water and exposed to the elements.

There was also no mention of the kennels at a neighboring property which kept us awake.

It was very expensive at nearly £50.00 for a two night stay and would not return or recommend to anybody.

The food in the pub was only average and barely value for money.

A real shame!!!!

Room Tip: If you have rented a room make sure it is not the one situated in the toilet block.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank paul w

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Arrived on 4/8/12 in our caravan, pulled into the park to be met by the owner who stated you should not pull in untill you kinow what it is like. Good start! The serviced pitches that I thought we had booked were all full and we were informed we could park between two caravans, this would have left a distance of abour two meters between the vans and we could not put up our awning. As we were booked for a week, no thanks. He then showed us the field at the back which had a space. All he was on about was us going into pay and as we put the awning up he came out again to remind us.
By Monday the site had quietend down, apart from the dogs barking in the kennel next door. But the toilet block has only one shower for men, another for women and one disabled shower for the whole site. The sink for washing up did not work. But as we were in our caravan no problem.
By the Thursday 9/8/12 the site started to fill up again. On Friday we took our awning down ready to depart on Saturday. That evening while out a tent was put up in the area that our awning was. When saying to the people in the tent it was to close, less the 2meters away from our door they just shrugged. There seems to be no health and safety on this site.
I was glad to leave and apart from the first day when the owner reminded us he wanted money he did not speak to us again. Would not go back to this site again and would not recommend it to any of our friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Really enjoyed our friday - sunday, only a couple of caravans, motorhome and trailer tent on our field, and four or five tents in other field.
Toilet and shower facilities very good.
I think if it was fully booked, it could be a bit cramped, so nice for an early or late break.
Pub is beautiful inside very old and a roaring open fire.
Food was very good, staff very friendly.
Ideal for a trip to Bridgnorth, didnt walk, but I think you could walk through fields.
The also organised activities, quad bikes, canoeing, good for hen/stag weekends.

Room Tip: Had cottages, but did not use,
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lee02061989
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Camping - very small campsite with too many tents squashed in together. One couple were asked to camp right beside the wash up area at the entrance of the toilet and shower facility. We were asked "what size is your tent?". Why should that matter on a campsite that we were booked into, which incidentally our name was not on the list even though the details were confirmed via e-mail well in advance. The cars had to be parked on the pub car park to get more tents in which lead to locals having nowhere to park and therefore left. Too many tents for too little space - money loving people.

Beer - the Shropshire lad was a tasty tipple but the staff appeared unfriendly and uncaring. The owner was extremely rude to an Irish customer telling him he can have his drink in a [--] Guinness glass. Not very welcoming by any means.

Breakfast - had to be payed for in advance and sounded appetising from the website. However, the website price was £5.00 but he charged £7.50 and the full choice menu did not happen as when asked if we wanted a fried breakfast we were not given a choice of foods. The plate was swimming in tinned tomato juice (I would have prefered a fresh tomato) and my fried egg was broken as if they just didn't care. I asked the owner why he'd put the price up but said that was the price on the website for full breakfast - no it is not.

The impression I got from the attitude of the owner was Abba's song Money, Money, Money. That was all that he cared about rather than being a good host and campsite owner to his guests. Many other campers had the same impression and would not go there again.

I will not be staying or even drinking there again and have already spread the word to anyone I know and others who had arrived on the campsite too.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vicki2601
Reviewed May 8, 2011

We have stopped at the Half Way House before, the first time (October 2010) no problem, So we thought we would give it a go again the weekend of the Royal Wedding we parked in the spot we were told to, we were asked if we had an awning we said we would be putting out the windout and a few sun chairs out later, got sorted TV on and a few pints good local ale to watch the Wedding had a quick 40 winks when we woke up we found a caravan had parked that close that we had no chance of getting the awning out or the chairs and at £22 per night I feel we were let down.
Last time it did put me off.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
pengwern, Owner at Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2011

Further to your comments, whilst this has appeared in the wrong listing - as it is for the campsite not the inn - I would just like to say that I, and my staff, were about all day and over the weekend I was over on the campsite many times, and had you made mention to me of any problem I could have done something about it. As I was not informed that you had a problem it is hardly fair to complain after the event, when the situation could easily have been remedied.

Reviewed October 10, 2010

We have bought a motorhome and are trying to get the hang of it with a couple of nights away, fairly local just in case of issues. Booked a single night at £20. The site is small and they certainly squash you in. Electric hook up and fresh water was all the facilities on offer. When you consider we paid £15 for a great Caravan Club site in Moreton in the Marsh, you don't get much. Welcome was a certainly cool, but the Real Ale went down a treat and the food was good, though a limited menu. Probably 2 miles from the town of Bridgnorth, which was a little too far to walk.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
pengwern, Owner at Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our campsite, I would just like to state that this is the Halfway House Inn entry which is a separate entity to the camping and caravan site. But in response to your comments - our costs are comparable to other sites in the local area, I'm sorry that you felt you had a cool reception, my staff and I always try to be a friendly and welcoming bunch! We are glad you enjoyed the Real Ale and the food, the menu is not vast as we pride ourselves on our locally sourced and home cooked range. Our shower and toilet facilities have always been available 24/7, and new for 2011 on the campsite we have our Superpitches with hardstanding, water and electric hook-up as well as a new shower/toilet block.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

If you, like us, book late and end up at the Halfway House as you can't get anywhere else on a Bank Holiday weekend plan to get grubby cause you won't want to use the toilets and showers. The staff all looked terrified and I had an amazing fit of the giggles when I popped to the loo in the pub and saw Gordon Ransey's Nightmare programme on the tele, perhaps it was on a loop.
But I have to say, we are choosey about food and arriving late gave the menu a whirl and it was excellent. My beer was 3 years out of date and the biscuits with cheese were too stale for the local mice but starter and mains were spot on.
Get it right guys and you could be onto a winner.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
pengwern, Owner at Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to place a review, although The Halfway House Inn entry here is a separate entity from the campsite - in response to your comments, I have to admit it was a rather hectic weekend, but I am surprised that you felt the staff looked terrified, I have a great team working here at the Halfway House who are friendly and capable. It does appear that the shower/toilet facilities were somewhat oversubscribed, as on most campsites on Bank Holiday Weekends facilities are often stretched due to exceptional demand, we have over the winter created on the site new stand-alone ladies, gents, and disabled toilets and showers, open 24/7, along with exterior pot washing facilities.

Been to Halfway House Caravan Park and Campground? Share your experiences!