Firstly, the previous review is erroneous! I too stayed in a room with an oblique sea-view but rest assured there is no large well-known hotel chain building overlooking the Iron Duke - there is only the historic and beautiful St Andrew's Church and beyond that the art-deco Embassy Court building!
Fed up with the likes of cheap national chains I opted for this hotel and bar experience and what a pleasant surprise it was. A regency building but Room 3 had an en-suite double shower, flat screen television and a large comfortable double bed, as well as another single one. The room was clean and well-presented. Interestingly, downstairs there is a display showing the history of the building.
Check-in was a simple and efficient experience under the guidance of Kate. The bar is a traditional 'pub' with the usual selection of spirits and trendy 'alco-pops', as well as a selection of real ales - just 'up my street', as it were. Teas and coffees are also available. Bar staff, the two 'men in black' (James and Jake, I think), are friendly and helpful, as are the local regulars. Peter, the landlord, is a charming and friendly chappie. Food is available and follows a traditional 'English' theme - meat eaters, fish eaters and vegetarians all catered for - alas, I did not have time to actually eat there.
Brighton is a 'parking nightmare' as a result of the Green Party's policies. However, the Iron Duke is within walking distance of the city centre along Western Road or the sea front.
Next time I am on a business visit, I shall stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Iron Duke is in an enviable location just across the road from the beach and walking distance from the City Centre and the Brighton Centre. We have ten rooms including some with en-suites and views towards the sea. We also have rooms with shared facilities for those on a budget. All rooms come with tea and coffee making facilities and televisions. Guests have 24 hour access to the building with your own key to the hotel entrance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and LateRooms so you can book your The Iron Duke reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Iron Duke Pub And Hotel
- The Iron Duke Pub Hotel Hove
- The Iron Duke Hove, Brighton And Hove, UK