“Excellent!”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hove B&B and Inns
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I chose the Iron Duke for the venue for my 50th Birthday Party on Saturday and was very glad I did! Right from the day I booked it, the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful with assisting me in the organising of it. Particular mention goes to Peter and Melanie for their help but all the staff without exception were excellent and couldn't have done more for us. We stayed the night of my party in their family room and found it to be extremely spacious, comfortable, warm and quiet. The breakfast was good - freshly cooked and plentiful, served next to the fire in the pub. An all round excellent and wonderful experience! Thank you to all at the Iron Duke. We shall return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
pl1970, Owner at The Iron Duke, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback which is important to us. I'm glad you had a good time, it was a pleasure accommodating you and your guests. I have passed your comments on to Mel and the rest of the team.

Many thanks,

Peter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I recently popped in as it was raining heavily and I needed to kill some time. I was greated by a lovely roaring open fire and the bar staff were hotter than the fire! The service was very good and the atmosphere was good, Due to weather it was fairly quiet but I can imagaine the buzz when busy.

I will return again, next time for the evening and not just an hour.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
pl1970, Owner at The Iron Duke, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Hi Darren, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you soon hopefully when the weather's not so miserable.

Peter
London
Reviewed December 24, 2012

What a fabulous time we had. The staff were curtious and charming and were there to help on arrival. The room we had was outstanding fresh sheets clean towels and a very tidy room. We decided to have a meal and I would give it full marks a totally superb stay

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank bigladLondon
pl1970, Owner at The Iron Duke, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We look forward to seeing you next time you visit Brighton.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at the Iron Duke for an overnight about a week ago, and found this pub with rooms above to be an excellent option for a short stay in the Brighton area. Located a stone's throw from the beach in Hove, this tiny, friendly pub provides excellent service from friendly staff. An on-site Thai kitchen provides a decent, well-priced dinner.

Our 2nd floor ensuite room on the front of the building (on a very quiet street) was spacious and clean, if a bit tired. The bed was very comfortable, and most important on a cold winter day, the central heating was very effective. Cooked breakfast in the pub was adequate, but nothing special, and the staff would not/could not accommodate my wife's request for scrambled eggs instead of fried. I find that odd.

In sum, however, I would not hesitate to return to the Iron Duke next time I visit Brighton.

Room Tip: En-suite rooms in the front of the building, preferably on the second floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
pl1970, Owner at The Iron Duke, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback which is essential for us to be able to improve our offering. The room you stayed in is one which we are working on in January ready for the coming season.
Apologies for the breakfast, there is no reason why your wife could not have has scrambled eggs.

I've had a word with the breakfast staff.

I'm glad overall you had a pleasant stay. Peter
Cambridge
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Just returned from a weekend in Brighton. This was our first stay at the Iron Duke but definitely won't be our last. Spotlessly clean rooms, cooked breakfast included in the rate which was freshly cooked and delicious. Staff couldn't have been more helpful and the thai food served in the bar is also very good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was extremely cheap, friendly service, food was wonderful and I could not believe was included in prize of room. Would highly reccoment this place you will never get so much value anywhere in Brighton.

Room Tip: Book early - but we walked in off the street
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Last minute unplanned 4 night stay in Brighton Hotels, first two elsewhere but lucky to get the Friday & Saturday nights in the Iron Duke due to a cancellation. Stayed in one of the non ensuite rooms (en suites all taken), not designer but obviously recently decorated & spotlessly clean. Nice fry up cooked to order each morning (tho' I noticed it was continental only, week days). Friday night in the bar area was busy with cosy fire, there was a comedy night in full swing in the small theatre area at the back, overall great atmosphere for a small hotel. Saturday tried the Thai food in bar, the standard is excellent had the duck - fab!. The staff behind the bar were very friendly and handle all the the hotel queries. Overall a clean, welcoming, comfortable hotel that is excellent vallue for money - if you need to be in the centre of Brighton then don't bother, however if you are happy being near the beach and in a relaxed environment then it could easily be for you. I had spent the previous two nights (week days) in a 'designer' hotel in Kemptown, paid double the amount for a more modern but smaller soulless room with no bar or food options - ok it was ensuite but nowhere near such good value, and a much noisier location.

Room Tip: I stayed in second floor side room, very quiet - could hear nothing from bar area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hove
The Old Ship Hotel
Blanch House
Blanch House
#1 of 44 in Brighton
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,131 reviews

Been to The Iron Duke? Share your experiences!