“Such a shame!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such a shame!”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Visited BBC this morning (10am Sat) for the first time with family who had come to stay with us for the weekend. Having told them that it was now owned by FBS, there was much anticipation and we were all looking forward to breakfast. What an absolute disappointment. Staff looked like they had just woken up; the whole place was freezing; coffee served in paper cups even though we were sat inside and amazingly poor quality produce used in the breakfast. The sausage was grey and contained I'm guessing less than 5% meat and the bread was cheap and nasty. I've honestly had better breakfasts in builders cafés! Given the great location and the often wealthy local population in Hove, this place has so much potential. I was really shocked by how bad an experience it was and why FBS and others involved has not made more of an effort with this place. As we left ZB arrived and thus FBS cannot be blind to this! I ended up apologising to my guests for having taken them there and won't be going back. I have never reviewed anywhere before, positively or negatively but felt compelled to do so here.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Hanover2014

“Big Beach... Disappointment”
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

What a strange, depressing place. Rather than the cool caff that we were expecting, we found somewhere that appears to have already lost its way (after less than a year of trading?): messy, shabby, drafty and generally unloved. On top of that was a total lack of atmosphere plus a lack of staff - the 'chef' also turned out to be our waiter!

On what was a very quiet day, we had a 25-minute wait for food - acceptable if it's decent, but it proved quite the opposite: limp, tasteless burgers and the blandest, beige-est and most awful chips you ever saw or tasted. Meanwhile, my ravenous ten-year old laboured nobly with sloppy scrambled eggs (he makes better himself) and a strange-looking grey sausage. I would best descibe what we had as motorway service station food, circa 1975.

Overall, a huge anti-climax and one of the worst meals I've had in Brighton and Hove in years.

2 Thank Andrew P
“Oh dear”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I have to say I concur with most of the other poor reviews. I went with my 2 year old nephew after a morning in the playground. Ordered a cheeseburger and chips, mug of tea and a side plate for the nephew at 12pm. We were the only customers, and sat down and waited for 10 minutes... the weak, lukewarm tea arrived in a filthy mug 20 minutes later the cold over fried chips and burger arrived, the burger fell apart as I attempted to lift the soggy mess to my mouth. I took it to the manager for an explanation, he offered a refund which I accepted. We walked home for some proper food.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Tinychef
London, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The cafe is a nice space with a good atmosphere. Food and drink are reasonably price. Could do with collecting dirty plates etc a bit quicker and cleaning down tables between customers but it wasn't too bad. The food is nice and the hot chocolate was just what I needed after a chilling walk on the prom. The cafe is dog and child friendly and while not everyone wants to see a dog in a cafe they stay on the floor and are pretty well controlled whereas a lot children are left to run around screeching and generally make it more unpleasant than a dog does. We will definitely go again.

• Visited December 2013
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Dreadful, dirty and dogs”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I went today, more than half the cafe was shut for a private function, that would be the nice part, the bit photographed for the Guardian - the open bit was dark and grubby.
Not one of the tables was clean, when we walked in there were no other customers in the cafe. The whole place felt grubby. My cheese and bacon croissant was clearly over microwaved and very greasy. The cappuccino - small and cold. Then for me the worst bit, someone with a dog walked in... Then another. The dogs do what dogs do.. Sniffed around me. I'm not a dog lover, I was very surprised dogs were encouraged inside a cafe. I was also made to feel very uncomfortable by the dog owner for being scared by a dog sniffing around me.
The staff, well we had to shout over the music.
If I had small children I would never go here.
My accompanying person had to leave half a drink because of the dog issue. But then that was tea in a mug... Nowhere to put the tea bag was provided by the way... Maybe that's why the tables are filthy.
Never again.