“Nice folk, great food.”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We've come a few times, and always a good meal. The chef is quite creative and accommodating. They also are fine with our small, well behaved dog joining us.

1  Thank awdolan

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We ate here last Thursday on our wedding anniversary. My husband told the waiter and we were shown to the table in the window so we could watch the world go by. The service was attentive but not intrusive and the food was glorious. I had scallops and cauliflour puree to start and the monkfish on lentils, both beautifully cooked, my husband's lamb was ordered rare but was slightly too cooked for his taste (though he does like it baahing still) we were almost too full for pudding but ordered a peanut butter semi-fredo to share which was sweet and salty and delicious, this was given to us on the house along with a little 'Happy Anniversary' note on the bill. All in all a lovely evening. Go there and make it a success!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Lunch on a sunny Saturday but only 7 people in the large restaurant sent the alarm bells ringing! My worry was well-founded after I had to wait 30 minutes for a burger! Perhaps the concept is 'slow food'! The food was particularly good but the restaurant lacked any atmosphere because it lacked customers. This restaurant is a good example of a place where you can get great food but the whole experience is lacking in almost every other aspect that you would expect to find in a £25 per head for lunch restaurant. Service is friendly but unspeakably slow and a two course lunch took more than two hours to get through. I think the place has got good potential but someone who knows about running a restaurant needs to take a trip as a mystery shopper - only then will they get a good sense of what needs to be done.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Great food , great value. Let down by tatty entrance. But dont be put off . Well worth a visit. Food took awhile to arrive but was obviously freshly cooked. Couldnt resist the the choice of puddings and certainly wasn't dissapointed. This place should be packed once people find it.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have been going down from London to Hove and Brighton for a few years visiting a son at uni and always need to take him out for a good meal! We have sometimes struggled to find somewhere suitable, but not any more! Forty One fitted the bill perfectly. The food was excellent and the service very cheerful and efficient. There were several dishes on the menu that I really fancied and I struggled to choose between them - so I ordered mine and then tried everyone else's and they were all delicious. It was a little quiet when we first arrived but soon became quite busy for a Wednesday evening.
We will definitely be returning.

2  Thank KJandSW